Prediction Poll - Who will be our highest rated Rising Star? 2023 Edition

Who will be our highest rated Rising Star in AFL Season 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Players must be under 21 on 1 January and played 10 matches or less.

Corey Durdin was our sole Rising Star nominee in AFL Season 2022.

While Jess Motlop is under 21, he played 12 matches in AFL Season 2022 and so he is Ineligible.
While Brodie Kemp and Sam Philp have each played less than 10 games, they turned 21 before the start of 2023.

Carlton players eligible for nomination for the 2023 award:
(as at the end of the ND and RD, not including any supplemental listed players)

• Jack Carroll
  • Dominic Akuei
  • Ollie Hollands
  • Lachie Cowan
  • Jaxon Binns
  • Harry Lemmey

I am backing in Carroll and Hollands for nominations in AFL Season 2023.

Last year’s OP:
Players must be under 21 on 1 January and played 10 matches or less.

Carlton players eligible for nomination for the 2022 award:
(as at the end of the ND and RD, not including any supplemental listed players)

• Brodie Kemp
  • Sam Philp
  • Corey Durdin
  • Jack Carroll
  • Jesse Motlop
  • Josh Honey
  • Luke Parks (rookie)
  • Dom Akuie (rookie)

Last year’s OP …

I am backing in Kemp and Philp for nominations in 2022.

Ed Curnow.

Greatest rookie draft pick ever.. now multiple times over.

IAS Ollie Hollands.

I’ve gone for Cowan. I think he plays early and often because Voss will want to get either Doc or Saad in for more midfield minutes. Hollands will also play. But I think HBF (or BP) is an easier position for a player in their first year than wing.

Hollands could certainly play as a small defender, although I doubt Voss would want a draftee to play a role in an area that requires greater continuity than other parts of the ground

We have ample small/mid size defenders, so if Hollands does get a run next year, IMO, it will be part of wing rotations

Carroll for me, think he’s going to step up a level and hopefully play a good amount of games when given the chance…
Development for all our new recruits any game/s they get in the seniors should be seen as a bonus…
Hoping they can all have a good promising uninjured season ahead…

Quick question for everyone. Based on what I saw, I had a bit of time for Jack Carroll this year. But where does he get a regular gig in this team? I’d be surprised if he is ready for permanent onball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hollands could certainly play as a small defender, although I doubt Voss would want a draftee to play a role in an area that requires greater continuity than other parts of the ground

We have ample small/mid size defenders, so if Hollands does get a run next year, IMO, it will be part of wing rotations

I thought tarczonandjane was saying Cowan will play back and Hollands will play wing and that's why he'll have an easier go of it than Hollands early.

I disagree with their take. I think history is littered with AFL ready mids and wings that have an exceptional first year but who lack the scope for improvement to really take the next step afterwards. The two biggest examples of this are Rhys Palmer and Lewis Taylor who won the Rising Star.

I thought tarczonandjane was saying Cowan will play back and Hollands will play wing and that's why he'll have an easier go of it than Hollands early.

I disagree with their take. I think history is littered with AFL ready mids and wings that have an exceptional first year but who lack the scope for improvement to really take the next step afterwards. The two biggest examples of this are Rhys Palmer and Lewis Taylor who won the Rising Star.

Yeap, misread the post

Personally, of the 3 non talls, I think Binns might be the one that plays first

I don’t know Wickzki,

You’re a lot more up on the modern elements of the game. But it seems to me that wing is a different position now to even when Rhys Palmer and Lewis Taylor were around. It feels like there are more layers to it than there were back then? Particularly in terms of transition football.

Back