Remove this Banner Ad

B: Dustin Fletcher ~ Cale Hooker ~ Mark Baguley
HB: Courtney Dempsey ~ Michael Hurley ~ Michael Hibberd

C: Brent Stanton ~ Jobe Watson ~ Brendon Goddard

HF: Zach Merrett ~ Jake Carlisle ~ Adam Cooney
F: Paul Chapman ~ Joe Daniher ~ Jon Giles

R: Tom Bellchambers ~ Dyson Hepell ~ David Zaharakis

I/C: James Gwilt ~ David Myers ~ Travis Colyer ~ Jackson Merrett
Giles and TBC probably won't play in the same team unless Ambrose gets dropped, which I hope/think won't happen. Winderlich is much better than Jerrett, I'd hope that Ashby could take over Gwilts bit-part role by the end of the season and no Howlett/Hocking leaves us short in terms of midfield grunt.

Giles and TBC probably won't play in the same team unless Ambrose gets dropped, which I hope/think won't happen. Winderlich is much better than Jerrett, I'd hope that Ashby could take over Gwilts bit-part role by the end of the season and no Howlett/Hocking leaves us short in terms of midfield grunt.
Ashby can't play tall

On a more negative train of thought...

Kommer was not much good before and may not improve.
Browne may not come on, or maybe hampered post injury.
Dalgleish has shown very little so far.
Gleeson may stagnate due to his stick like body.
Gwilt may very well be past it.
Giles may be no more than back up for TBC (definite problems with plaything them both).
Cooney might continue the trajectory he has shown in the past two years.
Zach might do no more than consolidate on 2014 which is fine but is not going to help us get to top four.
Jackson might stall in his progression (don't know why he would, but there is not universal love for him around here...)
Howlett may continue to do not enough like he has in the past 18 months.
Dempsey might continue to slide.
Stanton might continue to slide.
Chapman and Fletch could take that small step over the hill.
Goddard could continue to miss targets all year again (wtf is with that anyway?)
Hird might switch Carlisle and Hurley again giving rise to a repeat of 2013.

2015 could be s**t! ;)
(disturbing thing is that this outcome is not out of the realms of possibility)
Thought it might be interesting to take an even handed approach to this vision of doom and do a three way split between negative, no change, and positive.
So Randomly;
Kommer was not much good before and may not improve. Positive - Kommer breaks back in and gives our forward line more balance and grit. Kicks enough goals to hold his own.
Browne may not come on, or maybe hampered post injury. No change - Browne eases back into things but can't do enough to break into the side. Shows signs.
Dalgleish has shown very little so far. Negative - Dal goes no where and looks likely to be delisted.
Gleeson may stagnate due to his stick like body. Positive - The cyborg backs 2014 up and pushes Dempsey out of the side.
Gwilt may very well be past it. No change - Gwilt provides depth but doesn't do a lot.
Giles may be no more than back up for TBC (definite problems with plaything them both). Positive - Giles gives us selection headaches by taking another step up and holding out TBC for part of the season.
Cooney might continue the trajectory he has shown in the past two years. No change - Cooney holds a place in the team providing some spark, but is inconsistent and often frustrating.
Zach might do no more than consolidate on 2014 which is fine but is not going to help us get to top four. Negative - Zach stalls in his development and is in and out of the team due to selection pressure.
Jackson might stall in his progression (don't know why he would, but there is not universal love for him around here...) Positive - Jackson is one of those who takes his brothers spot and finds consistency.
Howlett may continue to do not enough like he has in the past 18 months. No change - Howlett remains inconsistent but useful for his grunt. Has his usual two match winning performances.
Dempsey might continue to slide. negative - Loses his place to Gleeson, struggles for consistency
Stanton might continue to slide. Positive - Stanton firms up his form and holds the kids back for another year.
Chapman and Fletch could take that small step over the hill. No change - The two old men hold their own but don't set the world on fire.
Goddard could continue to miss targets all year again (wtf is with that anyway?) Negative - BJ starts to show signs that his best is behind him.
Hird might switch Carlisle and Hurley again giving rise to a repeat of 2013. Positive - Carlisle and Hurley cement their current roles.

Fun exercise... My thoughts on those results surprised me. I think if that was to happen with Kommer then it would be pretty massive for our forward line. It would balance it out really well and allow us to go in tall sometimes with both TBC and Giles.
It's probably quite realistic that we might come out pretty square with a few change overs like Gleeson for Dempsey or Jackson for Zach...
Stanton holding his own wouldn't have been one of the positives that i would have chosen tbh, especially given that i had to put BJ to the sword!
Overall if that was the entirety of our disappointments for the year then we would come out a stronger side given the ongoing development from other players. I guess that means that in a fair world we should be a better side next year! ;)

Okay, Giles and TBC are both good forwards and rucks so I thought they could make a good combo but Ambrose probably will get a spot. Winderlich I forgot about. Howlett I was unsure on but should go in.

B: James Gwilt ~ Cale Hooker ~ Mark Baguley
HB: Courtney Dempsey ~ Jake Carlisle ~ Michael Hibberd

HF: Jason Winderlich ~ Michael Hurley ~ Adam Cooney

I/C: ~ David Myers ~ Travis Colyer ~ Zach Merrett ~ Michael Gleeson

michael-scott-no-o.gif

Gwilt before Fletch?

I think we need one of Fletcher and Hurley in the backline for that long kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little Vander and I ventured to training today... very impressed by the physical condition of Ashby. Didn't train with the group, was doing running on his own, but the lad is absolutely ripped and has some real size on his frame now - looks like an AFL footballer should. Was also impressed that he would watch drills from the side and direct players with very strong voice. Strikes me as a leader and a fierce competitor.

Ashby one of the few young blokes at our club who looks like an AFL footballer. Fantasia, Gleeson and JD are still stick figures and Kav, while looking fit, doesn't have the size to play the inside mid role his skill set best suits. Hams has added size but coming off a low base....remains I think the smallest AFL footballer I've ever seen at senior level.NOB still has no discernible musculature.

Merretts look good - Zac is a sturdy little fella in the flesh and Jackson has bulked up noticeably. Zac is a beautiful kick - can flight or drill it as the situation requires, always to advantage.

Prediction re best 22 - Ashby to push hard for a spot. Hard to see any of the young mids taking a spot for themselves (disappointing, we need this to happen) - best chance is J Merrett who looks much more physically equipped to start winning his own ball this year.

P.S. Connor McKenna is a jet - balanced, fast and powerful.Runs hard too...kicks and then runs on to link up like very few in our squad can. On the downside, his ability to do this is aided by the fact that many of his kicks spend minutes in the air. Short kicking is good but when going long they stay in the air forever.

I've included the following phantom draft in our selections next year.

National Draft
17. Corey Ellis
20. Caleb Marchback
62. Paddy Ambrose (rookie upgrade)

Rookie Draft
12. Sam Tagliabue
30. Kurt Aylett
48. Jake Long

FB: Fletcher Hooker Baugley
HB: Hibberd Hurley Dempsey
Defenders reason: Quite simply, the best defence we can put forward... I mean back

C: Zerrett Watson Jerrett
Fol: Bellchambers Goddard Heppell
Midfielders reason: Both the Merretts have exceptional boots on them, not the 60m pinpoint darts, rather consistent ones that hit the target most of the time. No explanation needed for the Centre, Ruck Rover or Rover. Chose TBC over Giles because he knows our system, is a good ruckman and has a forward presence.

HF: Zaharakis Daniher Cooney
FF: Winderlich Carlisle Ambrose
Forwards reasons: Zaharakis and Cooney will be used for midfield rotations, Winderlich the consistent forward we've been crying out for and I don't think it's too much to ask for 100 goals between Ambrose (20), Daniher (40) and Carlisle (40) provided they play 20+ games each.

Int: Colyer Hocking Myers Sub: Ashby
Emg: Kavanagh Marchback Ellis
Interchange and Emergencies reasons: Colyer to rotate with wingers, Ashby to rotate with Dempsey and Hibberd, Myers and Hocking to rotate with Watson, Goddard and Heppell . Kavanagh has had a big pre season so far and I believe he deserves to make the Emg. and push for more games, Marchback could be eased back into it meaning Gwilt could take his place instead and finally Ellis can play anywhere, although on the ball is his best position. His kicking is a real highlight, although it's the little things that make him one of my favourite prospects.

Unlucky: Stanton (I think Jerrett will take his spot) Howlett (Unless he can re invent himself as a small powerful forward I don't see him breaking into the team too often) Giles (Form dictates who plays between him and TBC) and Melksham (Cooney took his place)

Should get games throughout the season: Kommer, Chapman, Fantasia, Edwards, Gleeson, Browne, Long and McKenna

On the chopping block: Dalgleish, Pears, Steinberg and Hams

Last edited:
Accidentally had 'Rover' written instead of Heppell, calm down! I simply don't think that Chappy's body can take much more and Winderlich and Cooney has taken his spot. He's competing for the small forward pinch hit midfield spot with Howlett, Kommer and Melksham. I don't belive Chappy will be able to produce the form of last season, and once Melksham recaptures his 2013 form will rank over Chappy. I rank the fwd/mids as Zaharakis, Cooney, Zerrett, Colyer, Jerrett, Melksham, Chappy, Howlett and Kommer.

AFL SIDE:
B: Baguley - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Hibberd - Hurley - Dempsey
C: Stanton - Watson - Goddard
HF: Z.Merrett - Daniher - Ambrose
F: Zaharakis - Carlisle - Chapman
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Hocking
I/C: Cooney - Myers - Colyer - (Winderlich)

VFL SIDE:
B: Ashby - (Freezer) - Gwilt
HB: Dalgleish - Steinberg - Browne
C: (Polkinghorne) - O.Brien - Melksham
HF: J.Merret - Peter Wright - Fantasia
F: Kommer - (VFL player) - Long
R: Giles - (Marigliani) - Howlett
I/C: Kavanagh, Edwards, McKenna, Hams, Howlett, Hams, Pears, (Coghlan), (Heavyside), (VFL KPP), (VFL Ruck), Pick 17, Pick 20, Rookie Draft pick 12, (Hickey), (Byrne).

We really do need to get some tall onto our list. No key forward depth and no outstanding key defensive depth (Steinberg, Pears and Gwilt are all ok). And a serious lack of pace coming from our seconds that isn't pushing for senior games.

The two guys i have high hopes for are Alex Browne and Lauchy Dalgleish. At that age who should be pushing for more senior opportunities but limited due to injury but have tools to work with that could make them handy AFL players.

Okay, now that we have all but 1 list spot:

Seniors

FB: Fletcher - Hooker - Baguley
HB: Dempsey - Hurley - Hibberd
MF: Stanton - Watson - Goddard
HF: Zaharakis - Carlisle - Ambrose
FF: Winderlich - Daniher - Chapman
OB: Bellchambers - Heppell - Hocking
IC: Z Merrett - Myers - Colyer - Cooney

Reserves

FB: Long - Steinberg - Ashby
HB: Edwards - Gwilt - Browne
MF: Melksham - Howlett - Gleeson
HF: McKenna - Pears - J Merrett
FF: Fantasia - Giles - Laverde
OB: Milham/Tagliabue - O'Brien - Aylett
IC: Kavanagh - Kommer - Hams - Langford - Dalgleish

Reserves

FB: Long - Steinberg - Ashby
HB: Edwards - Gwilt - Browne
MF: Melksham - Howlett - Gleeson
HF: McKenna - Pears - J Merrett
FF: Fantasia - Giles - Laverde
OB: Milham/Tagliabue - O'Brien - Aylett
IC: Kavanagh - Kommer - Hams - Langford - Dalgleish

Bitter sweet seeing Gleeson, J Merrett and Melksham in the reserves.

Bitter sweet seeing Gleeson, J Merrett and Melksham in the reserves.
I tried to fit those 3, Giles, Gwilt and Howlett in the seniors. We have a very strong top 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back