Strategy 2015 best side

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think our best 22 will be that different to this years, just consistent improvement from younger players

It's probably easier to name a 2017 best team then it is to make a 2015 one.

That being said I want us to try a few of the following at some points in the year(not necessary at the same time).
  • Blicavs at CHB, free Taylor to be the loose man in defense
  • Mackie on a Wing, Thurlow takes his spot in the back line
  • Bews and Kelly fighting for a small defender spot, if Bews in fit and in form he plays in front of Kelly(like Guthrie was ahead of Hunt)
  • Vardy as the 2nd ruckman, Walker at CHF
  • Best two form players of Murdoch, Burbury and McCarthy
  • Kersten or Menzel only if they are in peak fitness and can chase and tackle.
  • Smedts tried in the middle as an inside mid. But only when he is displaying good form in the VFL( he should be playing the same position that Schroder now plays for the VFL team.)
  • Simpson and McIntosh never to play at the same time, unless all other possible second ruckman are injured (this includes the Irish guy we just rookied).
  • Our next players in should be Hartman, Lang and T.Hunt(should he remain at the club)
  • Regularly resting our 30 year old players both in games(as the sub/ being subbed off), and given weeks off. Never playing more than 6 30 year olds at the one time.
  • I'd like to see Bartel and Kelly spend at exactly one quarter per week at the centre clearances, preferably the third quarter)
  • I never want to the following players contest a centre bound, Motlop, Christensen, Stokes, McCarthy, Varcoe, Murdoch, Walker and Blicavs(when he isn't the ruckman)

I'll start with the locks and up for grabs spots.

B: __1__ , Frawley*, __2__
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Varcoe
C: Motlop, Caddy, Duncan
HF: Christensen, __3__ ,__4__
F: __5__, Hawkins, Bartel
R:__6__ , Johnson, Selwood
Int: Blicavs, Guthrie, __7__, __8__

Spot 1: Enright, Bews
2: Lonergan, Rivers, Kolo, Hamling
3: Vardy, Walker
4: Stokes, Murdoch, McCarthy, Burbury, Smedts*
5: Kersten, Menzel, Brown*
6: HMac, Simpson*, draftee
7 and 8: all of the above + Hartman, GHS, Jansen, Lang

*if at the club

Shane Kersten with a full pre-season will be very good player next year. Will have a breakout season in 2015.

Spot on WWSD. Came in too late this year, with injuries was thrown in the deep end at the wrong time.
Confident he will be solid in 2015.

Now get that bloody contract extended GFC!

I'd like to see Kersten, Mcarthy and Varcoe all up forward. Reckon we really struggled with tackling pressure across half forward. Varcoe's late season form was very encouraging, and I still he think if he is in form he is best up forward pushing into midfield.

Kersten will be different player with a full pre-season. Walker I think is in the mix too.

Varcoe Walker Christensen
Mcarthy Hawkins Kersten

Motlop can be a permanent mid off a full season, we need his class up the ground. Tipping him for a huge year if he is over injury troubles.

Do you think that's because of a deficiency in his ability at centre bounces?

In my opinion its not his ability but his size that the issue, centre clearances are more often a 1 on 1 battle of strength. Where as Clearances around the ground have a lot more players around the ball and are more about agility and speed. Both are also heavily influence by timing and positioning, which can override the above if a player is particularly talented. I'd rather that he didn't contest the centre bounces, its like asking him to battle Barlow in a 1 on 1 marking contest, he might win a few but he is starting at a massive disadvantage. The best role he could play would as would be a high half forward.

Would love to see Lang, Hartman, Jansen, Bews, McCarthy, Thurlow & Kolodjashnij play at least 10 games next year & most of them will if we stick by our youth policy.

I think Hawkins, Walker, Kersten & McCarthy are our best starting forward line.
Then we'll give chances to Vardy & Menzel next year of course to ease them into it.
Also I would like to see two small crumbing forwards next year to really help with our FWD50 pressure.
Because the MC doesn't seem to like Smedts as a forward, I would want those two small forwards to be McCarthy & Lang.

What I would go with
B Rivers Frawley Enright
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Duncan Johnson Christensen
HF Motlop Vardy Bartel
F McCarthy Hawkins Clark
R Blicavs Selwood Caddy
I Kelly Bews Stokes Horlin-Smith
E Thurlow Murdoch Walker
Assuming that we manage to get Clark and Frawley

VFL
B Hamling Lonergan Draft
HB Bates Kolodjashnij Varcoe
C Smedts Lang Hartman
HF Murdoch Kersten Luxford
F Menzel Walker Toohey
R Simpson Thurlow Jansen
I Cowan McIntosh Draft Draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In light of todays news, ill go again.

B: Mackie, Loners, Rivers
HB: Varcoe, Taylor, Enright
C: Motlop, Stokes, Bundy
HF: SJ, Walker, Bartel
FF: Kersten, Hawkins, McCarthy
R: Clark, Selwood, Caddy
IB: Guthrie, Hartman, Blicavs, Duncan

Missing out and should feel stiff.

Smedts
Bews
Kelly
Menzel (if he strings together 4 games in the VFL and shows form, he comes in no doubt)
Dawson (unknown due to injury)
Mcintosh (finished imo)
Cowan (see notes for Menzel)
Murdoch (pace is needed but not sure who he comes in for)
GHS (Hartman will take his place. Is as hard at it and as good at the coalface, but is quicker, has more upside and more tricks)
Thurlow (may replace Boris or Mackie depending on form)
Hamling (will come in for Rivers/Mackie at various stages

We have a squad of 32 that if all fit would make selection a nightmare. Good problem to have.

B: Rivers, Frawley/Lonergan, Guthrie
HB: Bartel, Walker, Taylor
C: Motlop, Duncan, Christensen
HF: Johnson, Vardy, Caddy
F: Kersten, Hawkins, McCarthy
Foll: Clark, Selwood, Kelly
Inter: Menzel, Thurlow, Varcoe, Jansen

B: Mackie, Lonergan , Rivers
C: Motlop, Duncan, Bundy
HF: SJ, Clark, Bartel
FF: Kersten, Hawkins, Caddy
R: Hmac, Selwood, Guthrie
I:Blicavs, Stokes, Bews, Kelly

B: Mackie, Lonergan , Rivers
C: Motlop, Duncan, Bundy
HF: SJ, Clark, Bartel
FF: Kersten, Hawkins, Caddy
R: Hmac, Selwood, Guthrie
I:Blicavs, Stokes, Bews, Kelly
I like this. I think McCarthy, Bews, and Thurlow will rotate in to this side a fair bit as well, and hopefully Menzel, Cowan and Vardy if they can get their fitness up.

In light of todays news, ill go again.

B: Mackie, Loners, Rivers
C: Motlop, Stokes, Bundy
HF: SJ, Walker, Bartel
FF: Kersten, Hawkins, McCarthy
R: Clark, Selwood, Caddy
IB: Guthrie, Hartman, Blicavs, Duncan

I'd say if Vardy's fit he'll still get first crack at CHF. And I can't see Murdoch not being picked either. For right or wrong.

I'd say if Vardy's fit he'll still get first crack at CHF. And I can't see Murdoch not being picked either. For right or wrong.
youre right about both - but i dont see who they replace. Ive NEVER been a Walker fan, but his finals series showed enough to suggest that at 21 or 22, he's growing into his body and could be a weapon. His kicking has improved. He is a completely different player to Vardy too - he hits packs and splits packs. I think he has to play 22 games and see what that does for him. I reckon we could have a real player on our hands if he is given that opportunity. If Vardy can get a month of really good footy under his belt, bring him in as a genuine second ruckman to Clark and move Blitz to half back or even a wing.

Is Clark (Clarke?) considered a ruck, or a forward by scott and our recruiters.

My guess is that the answer to that question depends on H.Mac and to a lesser extent Simpson. I personally can't see either of them being right for next year.

If HMac gets up it makes it very easy and Clark/Clarke will be the CHF. If not then I think we will need to play him as a no. 1 ruckman.

If we get Clark - he will play CHF primarily and hope that Simpson comes good and rucks with Blicavs.

If we get Frawley (as well) then I suspect Clark will play ruck.

Better to just wait and see what happens. Trades do not always go smoothly or work out.

Spot on WWSD. Came in too late this year, with injuries was thrown in the deep end at the wrong time.
Confident he will be solid in 2015.

Now get that bloody contract extended GFC!

With the likely addition of Mitch Clark, Kersten is going to be more then handy as that third tall forward and become another key target inside 50. The Cats forward line will be much improved next year.

With the likely addition of Mitch Clark, Kersten is going to be more then handy as that third tall forward and become another key target inside 50. The Cats forward line will be much improved next year.

You sure you're a Hawthorn supporter??

Always respectful, sensible, polite.....I'm more than a little confused here! :D

Good to see opposition supporters make useful contributions to the discussions on our board :thumbsu:

Now we cannot be sure what the draft will bring - but I think it is safe to say that most likely Clark will come - and Frawley is maybe 50-50 to come.

So to err on the side of caution I will only add Clark to the line up for 2015. Adding Frawley would give us even more options.

I would like to see these players get games - although the players missing from the normal line up will also appear. The best line up will be determined come the finals.

McCarthy Hawkins Bundy

Kersten Vardy Motlop

Duncan Selwood Stokes

Mackie Taylor Thurlow

Guthrie Lonergan Rivers

Foll. Clark SJ Caddy

Int. Blitz Varcoe Murdoch GHS

Emerg. Hartman Lang Hamling

If we can get something out of McCarthy, Kersten, Vardy and Thurlow (and Murdoch) - this team will do ok. But the only way we can find out is give them time in the seniors - which all of them are woefully short on. That is what makes me think that perhaps 2016 will be potentially a better season for us. But we lose Lonergan - and at this stage we have no obvious replacement (that is why Frawley would be good get).

Perhaps I am wrong but it seems the MC at GFC seem to think that McCarthy, Kersten, Murdoch, Vardy and Thurlow all have shown a bit and are worthwhile putting some more time into. They will likely be our weakest players and so how they go (or whoever gets promoted) will have a significant influence over the outcome of games we play.

I think that we have depth (obviously we could play Enright, Kelly and Bartel if we wanted as they all have contracts next season) with Bews, Hartman, Lang, JJ, Kolo, Hamling, Brown, Walker, Simpson, HMac and Smedts.

Looking at this team (I would like to see line up as is in 2016) you would think the transition is largely complete. Of course nearly every year any team needs to replace a player or two. That is normal. The only issue seems to be a new KPB to replace Lonergan. From what I read Hamling is not the type of player to replace Lonergan. This obvious issue for our 2016 campaign would be fixed if Frawley did come to GFC. We can concentrate on other positions on the field getting better.

This team could have quite a decent forward line - one that at least looks better structured. The backline still could be quite effective - and with a bit more run. The midfield hopefully will be better with a better ruck set up and more experience for some of the midfielders.

I like what I see with Hartman - could be another inside/outside player we need. Leg speed, can take a mark and a willing tackler. I have started with Murdoch because the club keeps playing and obviously expects he will improve soon (he needs to) but if Hartman over takes him by all means play him instead of Murdoch. A little too much outside and not enough possessions still. Hartman might add some more grunt, clearances, tackling and still has the ability to run with the ball. Roos and Thompson both agreed that the first thing you need to win a GF is toughness, strength and commitment. The more players you have that go to the coal face and win their own ball and can still run and carry on the outside - is what we could add to our midfield. Hartman might be able to do this - so I hope regardless he gets 4-6 senior games next season if he is playing well in the VFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back