Best Geelong team in my time watching the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
With the Board struggling to fill the gap caused by the pre finals bye thought I’d put together my best Cats team since I first started supporting them in the late 70’s. My earliest memory of GFC was a game with names such as Larry Donohue, Ken Newland and David Manson. I really developed my obsession in 1980 when we made the finals and Micky Turner captured my imagination bouncing the footy down the wing. I had a jumper with no.14 on the back. David Clarke. One of Dad’s fsvourite players of that era.

Anyway, after a bit of thought this is the best team I can come up with. I’m sure others will have varying ideas. I’ve probably forgotten someone too.

B: M.Mansfield, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Enright
C: M.Turner, Couch, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, Stoneham, S.Johnson
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Chapman

Foll: Ottens, J.Selwood, G.Ablett jnr

Int: Bartel, Dangerfield, Mackie, Cameron

Emerg: Hinkley, Bairstow, Corey, Brownless

The no doubt controversial entries are Mansfield, Stengle and Cameron. Loved Mansfield as a player. Was tough, versatile, and great overhead. An All Australian. Was too young to see I.Nankervis at his best and couldn’t think of an elite true small defender we’ve had over that period. Stengle, although only one season in, is the best small forward I’ve seen in my time in a Cats jumper. Better then Burns in my opinion. Cameron just gets in on class. If he rips it up this September his position is locked.

Your turn.

Edit: Stengle’s the second best small forward. Doubt we see a player like Chappy again in my lifetime. He was a small forward and more.

With the Board struggling to fill the gap caused by the pre finals bye thought I’d put together my best Cats team since I first started supporting them in the late 70’s. My earliest memory of GFC was a game with names such as Larry Donohue, Ken Newland and David Manson. I really developed my obsession in 1980 when we made the finals and Micky Turner captured my imagination bouncing the footy down the wing. I had a jumper with no.14 on the back. David Clarke. One of Dad’s fsvourite players of that era.

Anyway, after a bit of thought this is the best team I can come up with. I’m sure others will have varying ideas. I’ve probably forgotten someone too.

The no doubt controversial entries are Mansfield, Stengle and Cameron. Loved Mansfield as a player. Was tough, versatile, and great overhead. An All Australian. Was too young to see I.Nankervis at his best and couldn’t think of an elite true small defender we’ve had over that period. Stengle, although only one season in, is the best small forward I’ve seen in my time in a Cats jumper. Better then Burns in my opinion. Cameron just gets in on class. If he rips it up this September his position is locked.

Your turn.

Edit: Stengle’s the second best small forward. Doubt we see a player like Chappy again in my lifetime. He was a small forward and more.
Love your selections.
Finals maketh the player. I will list my 22 after this finals series.
But I must include Wojo at BP, ahead of MM, Mooney at CHF just ahead of Stoneham, just, and A Bews ahead of Bairstow.
Stoneham should have been an all-time great.
Glad you included Turner, Buddha and Couch.

Last edited:
I’ll have a go. Started watching on my dad’s shoulders in 1987 but first real memories are 1989.

B: A.Bews Scarlett Enright
HB: Hinkley Taylor Milburn
C: Riccardi Couch Selwood
HF: S.Johnson Stoneham Cameron
F: Bartel Hawkins G.Ablett Snr
R: Ottens Dangerfield G.Ablett Jnr
Int: Chapman G.Hocking J.Corey Brownless

Cheating a bit by putting Bartel in a pocket and Selwood on a wing. I’d expect Stewart to make it by the end of his career at current progress.

Love your selections.
Finals maketh the player. I will list my 22 after this finals series.
But I must include Wojo at BP, ahead of MM, Mooney at CHF just ahead of Stoneham, just, and A Bews ahead of Bairstow.
Stoneham should have been an all-time great.
Glad you included Turner, Buddha and Couch.

A.Bews could play anywhere. He could conceivably be the small defender I was stumbling on. That’s one I failed to consider.

I’ll have a go. Started watching on my dad’s shoulders in 1987 but first real memories are 1989.

B: A.Bews Scarlett Enright
HB: Hinkley Taylor Milburn
C: Riccardi Couch Selwood
HF: S.Johnson Stoneham Cameron
F: Bartel Hawkins G.Ablett Snr
R: Ottens Dangerfield G.Ablett Jnr
Int: Chapman G.Hocking J.Corey Brownless

Cheating a bit by putting Bartel in a pocket and Selwood on a wing. I’d expect Stewart to make it by the end of his career at current progress.

Riccardi! Of course. Probably still misses my team as I rate Turner ahead of him (who was before your time). But wouldn’t be out of place regardless.

Great list. I can only contribute with a 90s onwards bias.

It's too early for Cameron and Stengle for me, although I can understand your list is based more on "strongest team I'd field" rather than "best Geelong career. If they help Geelong win a premiership and stay at this level for a few more years, then certainly.

Riccardi was a jet who played at a high level for a very long and possibly the most unlucky to miss your list. He'd be a great option on the wing and half forward.

Very controversial but I might take Ling or Corey over Danger in a final. Although taggers aren't in vogue anymore, peak Lingy to stop oppo mids while getting plenty of the pill would be a great addition to any side. Corey the most underrated of all Cats in that side, super consistent and a bull in the big games.

The way Blicavs is going surely he is the ultimate utility man on the bench. Could be on the verge of his third B&F.

Great list. I can only contribute with a 90s onwards bias.

It's too early for Cameron and Stengle for me, although I can understand your list is based more on "strongest team I'd field" rather than "best Geelong career. If they help Geelong win a premiership and stay at this level for a few more years, then certainly.

Riccardi was a jet who played at a high level for a very long and possibly the most unlucky to miss your list. He'd be a great option on the wing and half forward.

Very controversial but I might take Ling or Corey over Danger in a final. Although taggers aren't in vogue anymore, peak Lingy to stop oppo mids while getting plenty of the pill would be a great addition to any side. Corey the most underrated of all Cats in that side, super consistent and a bull in the big games.

The way Blicavs is going surely he is the ultimate utility man on the bench. Could be on the verge of his third B&F.

Good points. I think Dangee gets in off the back of a number of elite seasons. His finals record is indifferent but I think he’s done enough. Interestingly, I loved Mark Bairstow as a footballer but he would be seen in a different light had he stood up in the GF’s he was involved in. Super player though.

Stengel and Cameron are probably being picked on a little expectation. I’ve got everything crossed that they have significant influences in this years finals series.

Ling and Corey were both unlucky to miss. Shows how many wonderful players we’ve had over this 40 year period. Speaking of midfielders, I wonder IF we go all the way this year how we will view the likes of C.Guthrie and Duncan? Probably still just a level below?

Your turn.

How good was Chappy on the snap!!. Did he ever miss? Amazing player.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Further to this what is your B team, and what would be the gap in a match between the two.

B: A.Bews, G.Malarkey, T.Harley
HB: M.Bos, J.Hawkins, Hinkley
C: P.Riccardi, Ling, M.Bairstow
HF: Lindner, Mooney, T.Bright
F: R.Burns, Brownless, Stokes

Foll: R.Blake, J.Corey, C.Guthrie

Int: J.Mossop, M.Duncan, J.Kelly, L.Colbert

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need to preface this by saying that I was 5 when I watched my first cats game - 89 grand final - and was hooked, but as a non-player myself and in a league state, my appreciation and understanding of the game beyond just ‘he’s a star so he must be good’ took a lot longer to develop (around 2001 when Brisbane started to peak I got a better appreciation). So if I’ve put anyone where they shouldn’t be I apologise.

B: Stewart, Scarlett, Enright
HB: Hinkley, Taylor, Milburn
C: Hocking, Bartel, Dangerfield
HF: Ablett Sr, Hawkins, Riccardi
F: Chapman, Brownless, Johnson
R: Couch, Ottens, Ablett Jr
Int: Barnes, Bairstow, Corey, Ling

Obviously a fairly heavy bias towards the last 15 years and a few guys probably not in their specific position as such but reasonably interchangeable and lots of guys who can play multiple roles

Your turn.

Great team, but surely at this stage Ronnie Burns gets in over Stengle?

OK - my throw at the stumps , not easy as I've got a few decades to pick from :p

B A Bews Scarlett Milburn
HB Stewart Taylor Enright
C Riccardi Marshall Turner
HF SJ Brownless Sharrock
F Chapman Wade Ablett Snr
FOL Farmer Ablett Jnr Hocking
IC Newman Couch Bartel Selwood
EM Malarkey Lindner Corey Danger

OK - my throw at the stumps , not easy as I've got a few decades to pick from :p

HF SJ Brownless Sharrock
Very hard to prune down out of 7 decades, isn't it?
I started to nut it out then gave it up as an impossible task.

Last edited:
Always fun revisiting this concept. Here's mine:

B: Ian Nankervis, Scarlett, Taylor
HB: Stewart, Jack Hawkins, Enright
C: M.Turner, Bartel, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett Snr, Newman, S.Johnson
F: Cameron, Wade, Chapman

Int: Couch, Dangerfield, Stoneham, Tom Hawkins

Emerg: Malarkey, Bairstow, Corey, Brownless

HF SJ Brownless Sharrock
excuse me, but how have you omitted Billy, name-sake and all?
After all, he still won B&F after Polly left.
Great memories there. I reckon, with no Farmer 2 Goggin, Wade has only a third of his goals.

Last edited:

HF SJ Brownless Sharrock
you and I can make an A and a B team easily.

excuse me, but how have you omitted Billy, name-sake and all?
After all, he still won B&F after Polly left.
Great memories there.

That was a tough one Vdubs - but Buddha and Gaz are very hard to displace.
Notice I put our man Sharrock in ;)
CHB was a difficult one - chose Harry over Peter Walker and also agonised over Billy and Stoneham but went with Billy - Billy's a buffoon but he could play and Stoneham as we know had his career tragically cut short.

That was a tough one Vdubs - but Buddha and Gaz are very hard to displace.
Notice I put our man Sharrock in ;)
CHB was a difficult one - chose Harry over Peter Walker and also agonised over Billy and Stoneham but went with Billy - Billy's a buffoon but he could play and Stoneham as we know had his career tragically cut short.
Surely Billy gets a bench spot?? Anyway, your picks are your picks.

B: Stewart, Scarlett, Enright
HB: Lonergan, Taylor, Milburn
C: Mackie, Bartel, Wojinski
HF: S Johnson, Cameron, Varcoe
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Stokes
Foll: Ottens, Ablett, Selwood
Int: Corey, J Kelly, Ling, Harley

I'm 33 years old.
I guessed that - same as my kids.
Great team- love the inclusions of Wojo, Varcoe, and Cameron.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back