Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see us hosting one of the Sydney teams at KP tbh which wouldn’t be the worse outcome if the team makes it that far
Sydney would be no chance to be hosted anywhere but the G. Maybe GWS a minor chance for KP, but I actually think our current team make up suits the MCG better.

Sydney would be no chance to be hosted anywhere but the G. Maybe GWS a minor chance for KP, but I actually think our current team make up suits the MCG better.
This.

We're too quick for other sides now, the wide open expanses help us enormously these days.

The second elite key forward and fleet of smalls does us wonders there too.

We'll always be good at KP, but I actually think we're just as good at the 'G these days, and against certain opposition we're arguably better.

I'm not sure we get the speed on the fat side of the ground at KP like we did on Saturday. Dempsey, Miers, & Jezza were simply electric when they were doing so.

Get a dictionary and look up laconic. Don't know how it's relevant
Laconic’ is used in AFL circles to mean something like ‘lazy’, ‘casual’, ‘laid back’. A ‘laconic’ footballer is one who doesn’t seem to put in much effort, who seems to takes things easy, or who makes it look easy.

And yes, I realise the word means nothing of the sort but I've grown up with that meaning. Sorry for the confusion.

Anything to do with Miers would be very low on the coaches’ list of ‘issues’.
It's a minor concern but I cringe every time he shirks a contest. It happens a bit.

Henry has been used as our defensive forward on Sicily and Harris Andrews. I don’t think defensive accountability is an issue for him.

You would love to see him more involved in the play but I think it is a tactic to keep as close to home as possible to drag these guys out of play and then convert the rare chances that pop up.

I would say he is playing perfectly to instructions. I would expect they will try him on Lever this week too.

We had more scoring shots, more inside 50s and 120 minutes of the match we were ahead. They had one quarter on top, the last where the short break saw us out of legs.

I'll take "lucky" every day of the week if that's what it means.

“The harder I work, the luckier I get” - Samuel Goldwyn
7-0 is not “lucky”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 wins will usually ensure Top 2.
10-6 from here gets us there.
Very gettable barring a slew of top shelf injuries.
And the way we have been winning so far seems very system based, capped off with some elite talent sprinkled on top.
And there is significant room for improvement. The ruck and midfield situations still a work in progress.
Still can squeeze the X-factor of Rohan into the forward line mix.
A lot of depth waiting in the wings.
Mullin, Conway, Hardie, Bews, Clark, Neale, Knevitt, Mannagh, O’Sullivan, all of whom have been tested at AFL level.
Good times…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw clip with David King, Huddo and Montagna, discussing the three in the premiership race. He gave them all nicknames.

He referred to Geelong as the best coached side, and labelled us as the 'Disarmers' where we make teams play the way the dont want to - almost like making a right hander play left handed. He said we have a strong back line, a strong forward line and even contributers. ANd he mentioned scoring from intercepts.

GWS were the Punishers, they dominate the corridor and they score heavily from possession.

Carlton (The Killers) were the third - clearance dominant (25% better than the AFL average) and contested possession dominant.

Definitely early days and very interesting.

Can understand still not being rated externally.
Still to beat anyone above us, and haven't beaten the yardstick - The Geelong Football Club.

Every opponent has entered the round we played them below us.

I just saw clip with David King, Huddo and Montagna, discussing the three in the premiership race. He gave them all nicknames.

He referred to Geelong as the best coached side, and labelled us as the 'Disarmers' where we make teams play the way the dont want to - almost like making a right hander play left handed. He said we have a strong back line, a strong forward line and even contributers. ANd he mentioned scoring from intercepts.

GWS were the Punishers, they dominate the corridor and they score heavily from possession.

Carlton (The Killers) were the third - clearance dominant (25% better than the AFL average) and contested possession dominant.

Definitely early days and very interesting.

How do you count Sydney out so easily?

It's a minor concern but I cringe every time he shirks a contest. It happens a bit.

But the alternative is he doesn’t shirk it and gets absolutely poleaxed and misses 4 weeks. There’s nothing of him, no point playing like Max Rooke. I think a few of the lighter framed guys are playing to coaches instructions - Dempsey, Close, Holmes. Far more valuable staying on the park than being made mince meat of in a contest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We look a good team but it’s open still as to whether we are contenders. We’ve knocked off all comers so far which is a great sign but we’ve also done it bucking some conventional stat trends. Can we lose the inside 50 and contested footy battle and still win in finals? It’s much harder to do then because pressure goes up.

I still have hope that Danger and Guthrie up and running can bring up the contested numbers and have us win the inside 50 count but there’s no certainty there. And regardless, I think we finish top four now given our start.

We look a good team but it’s open still as to whether we are contenders. We’ve knocked off all comers so far which is a great sign but we’ve also done it bucking some conventional stat trends. Can we lose the inside 50 and contested footy battle and still win in finals? It’s much harder to do then because pressure goes up.

I still have hope that Danger and Guthrie up and running can bring up the contested numbers and have us win the inside 50 count but there’s no certainty there. And regardless, I think we finish top four now given our start.
I think anyone who looks very likely for top 4 you could basically consider a contender. If we win the next couple that would definitely put us there.

I think anyone who looks very likely for top 4 you could basically consider a contender. If we win the next couple that would definitely put us there.
I think we've given ourselves a good look at the start of the season- pretty much gotten ourselves into the finals. However, the next block, I expect to lose a few games, and then the last third is where form will build up again.

I suspect that this first phase will be analysed by our coaches and other coaches and what we do will be found out. But the reality is that all coaches expect this and they have different levers, tactics they have up their sleeves for the next phase. THis block of games is virtually a learning, building experience. The next part will be a consolidation of good habits, and probably where we will lose some games. The last phase will be adaptation and evolution.

Henry has been used as our defensive forward on Sicily and Harris Andrews. I don’t think defensive accountability is an issue for him.

You would love to see him more involved in the play but I think it is a tactic to keep as close to home as possible to drag these guys out of play and then convert the rare chances that pop up.

I would say he is playing perfectly to instructions. I would expect they will try him on Lever this week too.
Henry is verydangerous, he always pops up at the right time. Good intercept defenders would be wary of him as all it takes is a few moments where they sag off him to go cover ground to prevent Hawk or Jezza getting a mark, and suddenly he's kicked two or three goals. On that note, I note that ALOT of his goals are right in front or right on the goal line. He puts himself in great positions to convert for goals.

I can think of a day at the MCG a couple years ago that might be contributing.

Can't remember what happened, but I heard it was pretty embarrassing for them.
As it was with us in prelim 2021, but….at least it was not at the G

This.

We're too quick for other sides now, the wide open expanses help us enormously these days.

The second elite key forward and fleet of smalls does us wonders there too.

We'll always be good at KP, but I actually think we're just as good at the 'G these days, and against certain opposition we're arguably better.

I'm not sure we get the speed on the fat side of the ground at KP like we did on Saturday. Dempsey, Miers, & Jezza were simply electric when they were doing so.
Oh no! Our 'cheat ground' is too small for us!!! What will miserable opposition fans have to complain about now?!!!

Oh no! Our 'cheat ground' is too small for us!!! What will miserable opposition fans have to complain about now?!!!
Had a main board nuffie (tiger) that hit us an unfair advantage that the cats gets to train on their home ground that they play on when no other team gets that advantage

So they’ll find any reason to whinge and bitch about how unfair anything is

You know the drill...we start complaining about the dimensions of our stupid cheat ground and how it is stopping our brilliant, MCG-suited running game.

Opponents would then request, nay demand, that our home finals are played in Geelong.

Back