Remove this Banner Ad

Mcgrath Scarlett Wojinski
Enright Stewart Corey
Bilcavs Selwood Dangerfield
Johnson Hawkins Cameron
Chapman Ablett snr Bartel

Ottens Hocking Ablett jnr

Burns Brownless Ling Milburn

Going to Premise this by saying was Born 1983 So have Seen some quality in the past 40 years of the Hoops

B: A Bews M. Scarlett D. Milburn

HB: T. Stewart H. Taylor C. Enright

C: P. Riccardi J. Bartel D. Wojcinski

HF: G. Ablett Snr B.Brownless S. Johnson

F: P. Chapman T. Hawkins G. Ablett Jnr

Foll: B. Ottens G Hocking J. Selwood (Capt)

Int: P. Couch P. Dangerfield K. Hinkley C Ling

Happy for you all to give your feedback positive or negative but i think that's a great team

Going to Premise this by saying was Born 1983 So have Seen some quality in the past 40 years of the Hoops

B: A Bews M. Scarlett D. Milburn

HB: T. Stewart H. Taylor C. Enright

C: P. Riccardi J. Bartel D. Wojcinski

HF: G. Ablett Snr B.Brownless S. Johnson

F: P. Chapman T. Hawkins G. Ablett Jnr

Foll: B. Ottens G Hocking J. Selwood (Capt)

Int: P. Couch P. Dangerfield K. Hinkley C Ling

Happy for you all to give your feedback positive or negative but i think that's a great team
Has to be the best interchange bench. It's tough squeezing in so many good players

Cameron is so impressive that IF he performs this September, and we win the flag, he would displace excellent candidates like Stoneham, or Brownless or Mooney in my best ever team.
Is that unfair to wait for the end of our campaign?
Very subjective, but I hope also objective.

Great thread!
Started watching Cats in 89.

Stewart Scarlett Milburn
Enright Taylor Mackie
Riccardi Bartel Kelly
Rooke Hawkins Ablett Jr
Chapman Ablett Johnson
Ottens G. Hocking Selwood
Ling, Corey, Dangerfield, Duncan

With the Board struggling to fill the gap caused by the pre finals bye thought I’d put together my best Cats team since I first started supporting them in the late 70’s. My earliest memory of GFC was a game with names such as Larry Donohue, Ken Newland and David Manson. I really developed my obsession in 1980 when we made the finals and Micky Turner captured my imagination bouncing the footy down the wing. I had a jumper with no.14 on the back. David Clarke. One of Dad’s fsvourite players of that era.

Anyway, after a bit of thought this is the best team I can come up with. I’m sure others will have varying ideas. I’ve probably forgotten someone too.

B: M.Mansfield, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Enright
C: M.Turner, Couch, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, Stoneham, S.Johnson
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Chapman

Foll: Ottens, J.Selwood, G.Ablett jnr

Int: Bartel, Dangerfield, Mackie, Cameron

Emerg: Hinkley, Bairstow, Corey, Brownless

The no doubt controversial entries are Mansfield, Stengle and Cameron. Loved Mansfield as a player. Was tough, versatile, and great overhead. An All Australian. Was too young to see I.Nankervis at his best and couldn’t think of an elite true small defender we’ve had over that period. Stengle, although only one season in, is the best small forward I’ve seen in my time in a Cats jumper. Better then Burns in my opinion. Cameron just gets in on class. If he rips it up this September his position is locked.

Your turn.

Edit: Stengle’s the second best small forward. Doubt we see a player like Chappy again in my lifetime. He was a small forward and more.
Paul Lynch coulda shoulda been. Shame, could throw a few others like Menzel in there too I guess.

Bill Ryan, Bill Goggin, Polly Farmer, Doug Wade (ffs), Ian and Bruce Nankervis, David Clarke, Tony Pollinelli, John Scarlett, Peter Walker, Rod Blake, Mick Turner, Gary Malarkey. All wonderful players but so hard to compare eras. How would they go? Clarke would kill it as would Wadey and Polly. In fact all would be fabulous.

OK - my throw at the stumps , not easy as I've got a few decades to pick from :p

B A Bews Scarlett Milburn
HB Stewart Taylor Enright
C Riccardi Marshall Turner
HF SJ Brownless Sharrock
F Chapman Wade Ablett Snr
FOL Farmer Ablett Jnr Hocking
IC Newman Couch Bartel Selwood
EM Malarkey Lindner Corey Danger
Geez that is a good team. I forgot Sammy ffs. Edit: And Riccardi

Last edited:
He was on my radar but I had Enright and Stewart ahead of Bos , Hinkley and Mansfield as HB flankers .......
It's a tough ask. I'll get around to doing my side when I give it more consideration.

The lack of Mark Bos is surprising. Duel B&F winner and rarely beaten. As tough as they came too.
True, but we have a wealth of quality HBF’s over the years including Yeates, Sanderson, Bos, Mackie, Kelly, Enright, Hinkley, Stewart, etc

Paul Lynch coulda shoulda been. Shame, could throw a few others like Menzel in there too I guess.

You know I thought of Lynch when I was compiling my team. Such a shame he wasn’t able to get any continuity. Very talented player. Recall a night match against a Carey lead Kangaroos at the ‘G where Lynch was terrific. Alas we only got to see his talent rarely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I thought of Lynch when I was compiling my team. Such a shame he wasn’t able to get any continuity. Very talented player. Recall a night match against a Carey lead Kangaroos at the ‘G where Lynch was terrific. Alas we only got to see his talent rarely.
Jason Snell was another. I still remember him kicking 4 or 5 goals in a quarter when he was in his second season.

Anyone remember Peter Doyle? Classy midfielder from the 70’s forced to retire early because of injury

Was at the game against the D’s when he broke his leg. Devastating at the time.
I was close by where it happened. You could hear the snap in the crowd.

From ~94/95:

FB. Stewart. Scarlett. Harley
HB. Enright. Taylor. Milburn
C. Riccardi. Selwood. Bartel
HF. Chapman. Cameron. Ablett Snr
FF. Burns. Hawkins. SJ
Foll. Ottens. GAJ. Hocking
Int. Danger. Kelly. Ling. Mackie

Emg. Corey. Blicavs. Duncan. Rooke

With the Board struggling to fill the gap caused by the pre finals bye thought I’d put together my best Cats team since I first started supporting them in the late 70’s. My earliest memory of GFC was a game with names such as Larry Donohue, Ken Newland and David Manson. I really developed my obsession in 1980 when we made the finals and Micky Turner captured my imagination bouncing the footy down the wing. I had a jumper with no.14 on the back. David Clarke. One of Dad’s fsvourite players of that era.

Anyway, after a bit of thought this is the best team I can come up with. I’m sure others will have varying ideas. I’ve probably forgotten someone too.

B: M.Mansfield, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Stewart, Taylor, Enright
C: M.Turner, Couch, G.Hocking
HF: G.Ablett snr, Stoneham, S.Johnson
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Chapman

Foll: Ottens, J.Selwood, G.Ablett jnr

Int: Bartel, Dangerfield, Mackie, Cameron

Emerg: Hinkley, Bairstow, Corey, Brownless

The no doubt controversial entries are Mansfield, Stengle and Cameron. Loved Mansfield as a player. Was tough, versatile, and great overhead. An All Australian. Was too young to see I.Nankervis at his best and couldn’t think of an elite true small defender we’ve had over that period. Stengle, although only one season in, is the best small forward I’ve seen in my time in a Cats jumper. Better then Burns in my opinion. Cameron just gets in on class. If he rips it up this September his position is locked.

Your turn.

Edit: Stengle’s the second best small forward. Doubt we see a player like Chappy again in my lifetime. He was a small forward and more.
pretty good side. Agree with most of it.

Think milburn and mackie are just as controversial picks as mansfield. I personally would add hinkley over all of them. Just. i probably would also consider andrew bews in the back pocket position myself though as he could lockdown small fowards a bit better and was exceptional when played i that role. oh and thens there is Bos. And if you really wanted to be controversial Colbert. Lonergan if you wanted the extra tall. Really there is about 7-8 players who could take that last two spots in the backline. Enright, stewart, scarlett are the locks. Taylor pretty close to be the lock.

thought riccardi a bit stiff not to atleast make the bench. G.hocking really wasnt a winger. Riccardi close to the best from his era.

pretty good side. Agree with most of it.

Think milburn and mackie are just as controversial picks as mansfield. I personally would add hinkley over all of them. Just. i probably would also consider andrew bews in the back pocket position myself though as he could lockdown small fowards a bit better and was exceptional when played i that role. oh and thens there is Bos. And if you really wanted to be controversial Colbert. Lonergan if you wanted the extra tall. Really there is about 7-8 players who could take that last two spots in the backline. Enright, stewart, scarlett are the locks. Taylor pretty close to be the lock.

thought riccardi a bit stiff not to atleast make the bench. G.hocking really wasnt a winger. Riccardi close to the best from his era.

I probably put more weight on guys that played in our successful era and stood up in big games than those that were unfortunate to be in our 89-95 era. Having said that, I couldn’t leave the likes of Couch out. Hocking is an obvious in and should start on the ground. He played wing early on so slotted him in there.

Colbert was elite for 1-2 years prior to injury. Was in my second team I named. Can’t get him in the best 22.

Hinkley was a conundrum. He was a true HBF, and Stewart and Enright just command those two positions. I named Mansfield, as aside from eating him highly, thought he’d be better positionally in the BP.

Many tough calls. Riccardi one of them. Turner has to be in though. He was superb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back