2015 Fixture - Abuse the AFL here

Remove this Banner Ad

So never then?

That wasn't the VFL

Der - Have been attending VFL reserves matches as curtain raisers since 1974 - Seen over a hundred reserves games at Windy Hill - Beginning of the game usually had 500 spectators, bulding up to maybe a thousand at half time, and then the last quarter would get close to 10,000. There was nil atmosphere in the first half and was even worse if you watched reserves games at the MCG or Waverley.

Der - Have been attending VFL reserves matches as curtain raisers since 1974 - Seen over a hundred reserves games at Windy Hill - Beginning of the game usually had 500 spectators, bulding up to maybe a thousand at half time, and then the last quarter would get close to 10,000. There was nil atmosphere in the first half and was even worse if you watched reserves games at the MCG or Waverley.
Well technically that VFL was a different league to this one.

But ok last VFL reserve game was 1989 when average attendance was 31k. Hardly a strong base to make claims on what would happen 26 years later with attendances up around 45k.

You also realize that we get several thousand now to our VFL games against Richmond/Collingwood etc with those games played prior to the AFL game at different grounds. So you're telling me people will go out of their way to go to a curtain raiser at a different ground but won't do the same if its at the same ground as the AFL?

Well technically that VFL was a different league to this one.

But ok last VFL reserve game was 1989 when average attendance was 31k. Hardly a strong base to make claims on what would happen 26 years later with attendances up around 45k.

You also realize that we get several thousand now to our VFL games against Richmond/Collingwood etc with those games played prior to the AFL game at different grounds. So you're telling me people will go out of their way to go to a curtain raiser at a different ground but won't do the same if its at the same ground as the AFL?
I suppose you could argue that a crowd of 3-4k would create a better atmosphere at a small suburban ground- like Windy Hill or Victoria Park- than in a vast colosseum like the MCG or Etihad.

I suppose you could argue that a crowd of 3-4k would create a better atmosphere at a small suburban ground- like Windy Hill or Victoria Park- than in a vast colosseum like the MCG or Etihad.
True.

Its still more then the 500 people Yaco is trying to tell us we'd get and I would be surprised if we didn't get closer to 10K if it was before the AFL game. Hell of a lot more conveniant for people.

True.

Its still more then the 500 people Yaco is trying to tell us we'd get and I would be surprised if we didn't get closer to 10K if it was before the AFL game. Hell of a lot more conveniant for people.
Yeah- we'd get a bigger crowd for sure. It's especially more convenient for country folk who might be coming in by train, for example. It's great for me if we play VFL at Windy Hill then a game at Etihad/MCG later that afternoon or that evening, as I live right next to Essendon. But it's not that convenient for most people.

Basically, I like the idea for two or three games a year- and that's all.

True.

I am arguing about atmosphere - having 3 or 4 thousand from the start of the game ( that is people who want to attend the game ) creates a better atmosphere, rather than the small numbers who will attend in the first half of a curtain raiser,which is then artificially inflated by the theatregoers, who accidently stumble across the game.

I stand by by my claims that around 500 ( possibly up to 1000 ) would be in attendance at the start of a curtain raiser in the old days - Windy Hill crowds averaged around 15 to 17,000 in the late 80's.

Did you attend any curtain raisers in the old VFL pre 1990 and then under the AFL banner up 2000.

Does anyone know a website/shop where you can purchase a wall poster of the 2015 AFL Fixture?
Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back