2015 Fixture - Abuse the AFL here

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that the AFL wants more and more teams.. but I would prefer to recognise we have a 'small' talent pool to draw from.

I'd love to have 14 teams.. play each other twice and be done with it.

Have 7 high quality games rather than 9 games but of highly mixed quality..

I understand that the AFL wants more and more teams.. but I would prefer to recognise we have a 'small' talent pool to draw from.

I'd love to have 14 teams.. play each other twice and be done with it.

Have 7 high quality games rather than 9 games but of highly mixed quality..

Difficult to see 4 Clubs folding or there needs to be a heap of mergers given the way the AFL prop up Clubs.

The bigger Clubs never get mentioned in merger talk but I reckon we do the honourable thing and merge with North.

Team to be called 'Essendon Bombers', colours to be red and black, with a black jumper with a red sash. Team to be based at the True Value Solar Centre. Just have to name one of the bathrooms the 'Wayne Carey' bathroom.

I'm sure that should be enough to keep the North fans happy ;)

Difficult to see 4 Clubs folding or there needs to be a heap of mergers given the way the AFL prop up Clubs.

The bigger Clubs never get mentioned in merger talk but I reckon we do the honourable thing and merge with North.

Team to be called 'Essendon Bombers', colours to be red and black, with a black jumper with a red sash. Team to be based at the True Value Solar Centre. Just have to name one of the bathrooms the 'Wayne Carey' bathroom.

I'm sure that should be enough to keep the North fans happy ;)
I agree it won't happen.. but 18 is too many teams..

I agree it won't happen.. but 18 is too many teams..
How about 20 teams? (Tassie and ACT) get teams.... And we have a 19 round season with a top 10 finals series?

I get the whole talent pool issue, but what about our lopsided fixture issue?

I'm genuinely ok with this fixture - from a footy perspective, a fan experience perspective and an off-field perspective.

For a start, I wanted more afternoon games. It's a shame we don't have more 'G games, but thats the nature of the agreement we are bound to for the time being.

And yeah, it's a pretty tough draw (no surprises there), but the reality is if we ever want to win a flag, we have to beat the best sides in the comp. I'd rather sharpen our teeth on decent sides, even if it means losing some games - than take worthless wins against weaker sides. How well did that work for Carlton remember?

Off-field, we've all heard the absolute braying from smaller clubs re: fairness in fixturing, free to air exposure etc etc. So fine, more than happy to not have the Friday night games, and a lower free to air exposure. We'll see how that works out.

About as well as I could have worded it. Spot on.

Also a solid point - Windy Hill is good for watching a game.
As are a lot of the old VFL/AFL venues.

I think the more suburban feel of the VFL is actually an attraction and it would be a shame to lose that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted I'm a week late on the discussion and didn't quote anyone seems obv the conversation I was referencing.
In my current state of mind you could have done both and I'd still be spaced

Tough start, however after round 6 it seems like a pretty nice run home?

I also think if your ever going to beat Hawks/Sydney it will be a much greater chance in doing so in weeks one and 2.

Agree with Doss

I prefer the VFL games to be stand alone - You get a better vibe because the crowds arrives before the game, whereas as a curtain raiser to the AFL, there is little or no atmosphere in the first half.

I think that is the long term answer to the fixture. We need to get it up to 20 teams. You play eachother once a year and have a 5-6 week 10 team finals period.
Wouldn't mind it, but far out 20 teams is a lot. I tend to enjoy having return games against Richmond and Collingwood too, tbh. Even though we only ever win one of them...

I think that is the long term answer to the fixture. We need to get it up to 20 teams. You play eachother once a year and have a 5-6 week 10 team finals period.

This farking is. I'd rather an even draw with 20 teams, than the s**t fixture we have now.

Also with intestate teams you play them home every second year (away every other year)

Can't get a more even season than that

We'll probably rarely if ever see us play Melbourne at Etihad, because we never play them twice and because of the MCC factor.

But seriously, give Melbourne the home game against us; it'd be lucrative for them, but it's basically a waste for us when we could be hosting a higher drawing team like Geelong at the MCG instead of them.

This shits me no end. Why on earth do we continually get drawn against this pitiful minnow at the G? This is the sort of game that would sell out Etihad or see rain soaked tumble weeds blown around the G.

Home games at the G should be Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn.

Also to others complaining about our games against interstate sides being mainly over there, this is a great thing. It means our boys get experience at travel and but when we play at home we don't have to deal with those mind numbingly boring one sided crowd affairs.

Home games at the G should be Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn.
And if we don't have a home fixture against one of those four, as we don't this year against Carlton, it should at least be against Geelong if we have w home game against them. Hell- Essendon v North Melbourne would get a bigger crowd than against the Dees.

It's not to be though. Seemingly ever.

And if we don't have a home fixture against one of those four, as we don't this year against Carlton, it should at least be against Geelong if we have w home game against them. Hell- Essendon v North Melbourne would get a bigger crowd than against the Dees.

It's not to be though. Seemingly ever.

My kids all have a Warlpiri background. I remember Jurrah's first game was against the mighty Dons at docklands. I also remember Daniher's last time coaching against us at docklands.

I just don't understand. If it was a charity gig for them like the pies do with Queen's bday then I'd understand. For our home game, we're all losers here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back