2015 Fixture - Abuse the AFL here

Remove this Banner Ad

When the deal was "sold" to the membership it originally included a guarantee that we would play 4 teams of our choosing both home and away at the MCG.

Yes but if we dont play bigger Marquee matches at Etihad there will be no deal and we would be complaining about getting screwed over like North Melbourne

I just realised both our Friday Night games are against North. It's a nice change after half a dozen years of our games being on graveyard slots and Pay TV.

Would be more frustrating if we had a s**t deal and were forced to play home games interstate
We could not have this deal and we would not be forced to play home games interstate.

Look at Collingwood. When we signed this deal, we were bigger off-field than they were.

At the end of the day, it's a sweet deal financially but it also places restrictions on our membership, and leads to farcical situations like Geelong v Essendon in 2013 when people were basically shut out while the MCG sat vacant the same night.

I'm genuinely ok with this fixture - from a footy perspective, a fan experience perspective and an off-field perspective.

For a start, I wanted more afternoon games. It's a shame we don't have more 'G games, but thats the nature of the agreement we are bound to for the time being.

And yeah, it's a pretty tough draw (no surprises there), but the reality is if we ever want to win a flag, we have to beat the best sides in the comp. I'd rather sharpen our teeth on decent sides, even if it means losing some games - than take worthless wins against weaker sides. How well did that work for Carlton remember?

Off-field, we've all heard the absolute braying from smaller clubs re: fairness in fixturing, free to air exposure etc etc. So fine, more than happy to not have the Friday night games, and a lower free to air exposure. We'll see how that works out.

We could not have this deal and we would not be forced to play home games interstate.

Look at Collingwood. When we signed this deal, we were bigger off-field than they were.

At the end of the day, it's a sweet deal financially but it also places restrictions on our membership, and leads to farcical situations like Geelong v Essendon in 2013 when people were basically shut out while the MCG sat vacant the same night.

So that isn't really the issue you have, you are saying that we should move our home ground to the MCG which I agree with, but if it continues to be at Etihad then if we didn't have marquee games our deal would be as bad as the others.

2 things.

1. Why are Essendon only playing Carlton once?
  2. Why are Essendon playing Hawthorn in Round 2 again?
1. Because, with the way they break up the ladder into three sections, Carlton being in the lower section were always going to only get at most two teams from the middle bracket. In this case, they got Collingwood and Richmond so we miss out. Collingwood and Richmond playing twice doesn't help either.

2. This sort of thing happens a lot. It was pointed out the other day that Essendon and Brisbane play in Round 8....a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a country member, the much higher number of afternoon games is most pleasing. A couple more Friday night games might have been ideal, but overall it's not a bad one.
yes, I remember

Knowing us, if we win the first two we'll probably turn around and lose to Caaaaaarlton. :drunk:
I was going to say watch us be 3-2 with the 2 being Carl and Coll

1. Because, with the way they break up the ladder into three sections, Carlton being in the lower section were always going to only get at most two teams from the middle bracket. In this case, they got Collingwood and Richmond so we miss out. Collingwood and Richmond playing twice doesn't help either.

2. This sort of thing happens a lot. It was pointed out the other day that Essendon and Brisbane play in Round 8....a lot.

1: I don't like the whole 3 groups of 6 crap.

2: What about variations in fixturing?
Get Essendon to play Brisbane in say Round 13 and Hawthorn in Round 14.

I know this will never happen but what about a 28 week fixture?

28 weeks won't happen- it's too long.

Here's the most bizarre of the current fixture facts:

- Hawthorn have not played Brisbane at the Gabba since 2008, and again don't next year
- Essendon and Melbourne have not played twice since 2005. Hence next year will be the tenth straight season of a single game between the sides. This equals the ten year streak North and Essendon had from 2002-11.
-Carlton and Footscray have not played twice since 2002. Next year will be the thirteenth (THIRTEENTH!) year in a row of a single game between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back