List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Jacksh has been at Carlton for one pre-season and 7 rounds. How much of a presence do you expect him to have thus far? How many games have you seen him play?
Your point is a fair one. Before this season Josh Bruce (also from GWS incidentally) was on the scrap heap. He had played 10 hapless games for the Saints last year as a defender. After 7 games in 2015 and aged 22 he is challenging Eddie and Kennedy for the Coleman medal.

Jaksch does impress in being able to spoil (the first requirement of a tall defender). Otherwise I tend to agree with Pick 7 that there is an absence of mongrel or intensity about Jaksch mixed with clumsiness that has me thinking more Bower than Bruce. Hopefully our suspicions are not well-founded. And it can't help playing for us right now.

Your point is a fair one. Before this season Josh Bruce (also from GWS incidentally) was on the scrap heap. He had played 10 hapless games for the Saints last year as a defender. After 7 games in 2015 and aged 22 he is challenging Eddie and Kennedy for the Coleman medal.

Jaksch does impress in being able to spoil (the first requirement of a tall defender). Otherwise I tend to agree with Pick 7 that there is an absence of mongrel or intensity about Jaksch mixed with clumsiness that has me thinking more Bower than Bruce. Hopefully our suspicions are not well-founded. And it can't help playing for us right now.

I think it doesn't help when our defense is getting hammered every game as well. The ball is moved from opposition defense to offense so easily and our defenders just don't get that support from up the field. You hear Mick often praise some of the defenders because he knows they don't stand much chance when the ball is moved so easily and quickly into the opposition forward 50.

I think if we had Jamo and Hendo holding down the key positions down back Jaksch could be that third tall to help them out. At 85kg he doesnt stand a chance against some of the forwards he has been on.

No but I think Duggan will be quality.

I've watched two WCE games this season (admittedly on the box) and both times, Duggan looked like a natural with his aggressive run and pinpoint disposal. He's not a big chap but he still had plenty of attack on the contest, he certainly will be a very, very good player in years to come.

I'm not arguing that we should of taken him instead of who we did take etc, just providing feedback based on what I saw.

It isn't dependent on games, I just see if I like the look of a player. Normally you can tell pretty early on.

I fully understand your rationale here, I look at a player in their first few games and can get a reasonable read on how far they will go.

It's all to do with how they run to space, how prepared they are to tackle and chase, what sort of penetration & accuracy they have with their kicking etc.

Some players just look like they belong even if they still need more development athletically & physically.

There are others who seem like a "hail mary" selection and require an intensive development program if they are going to succeed, it is only the really determined & committed who tend to make it from this position.

Whiley is the interesting one in the pick 7 debate, i like what I have seen from him so far and was extremely disappointed he got dropped.

The whole trading of Pick 7 was a very shrewd piece of horse-trading IMO.

Whiley will be a good player for us, even if it takes a bit more time for him to fully arrive, he has a fighting quality that will rub off on others.

Jaksch has me worried a little right now and maybe a lot of that has to do with him being played out of position, however, he was a decent junior footballer and should be a solid 150-gamer if nurtured & handled the right way.

The actual #19 selection is where I have gone off my nut !! Grabbing 'The Boek', who reminds me of a taller Kane Lucas, seemed like a really odd decision at the time when it appeared there were better options still left to be drafted then.

The powers that be made the choice and they will live or die by that call, all we can do is pray he kicks on and rewards the faith put in him.

The powers that be made the choice and they will live or die by that call, all we can do is pray he kicks on and rewards the faith put in him

1 already fallen on his sword (rodgers)
1 in the firing line (malthouse)

Current list and direction....

55594f841aaec7043ea4c312_theon-rape.gif
[/QUO

The whole trading of Pick 7 was a very shrewd piece of horse-trading IMO.

Whiley will be a good player for us, even if it takes a bit more time for him to fully arrive, he has a fighting quality that will rub off on others.

Jaksch has me worried a little right now and maybe a lot of that has to do with him being played out of position, however, he was a decent junior footballer and should be a solid 150-gamer if nurtured & handled the right way.

The actual #19 selection is where I have gone off my nut !! Grabbing 'The Boek', who reminds me of a taller Kane Lucas, seemed like a really odd decision at the time when it appeared there were better options still left to be drafted then.

The powers that be made the choice and they will live or die by that call, all we can do is pray he kicks on and rewards the faith put in him.
All your points are bang on mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say Whiley is by far the most disappointing young player I've seen from us at AFL level this year. He's not only older then Boekhurst but has been in the AFL system longer and is physically developed already. He just seems so far off the pace at AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back