Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership - target 60 000+ REACHED

Remove this Banner Ad

When the SACA realise how much wedge they could get from another 3-tier stand and assorted facilities down that end it will happen.

Its not the SACA board and management holding it out - its those cricket members who want to see some grass, a cathedral and a classic old scoreboard.

Unless Adelaide gets another 500,000 people post Olympic Dam type influx - cricket wont have a need for a 65,000 seat stadium and those 4 AOSMA Ltd directors wont be voting for a change.

On the AO- the Western stand needs to be upgraded to similar state of the eastern. If you still get sell outs, then lets see about a northern mega stands

Yep, I agree with this. Upgrading the Western Stand (to be like the Eastern) would mean we could increase the capacity to about 58,500 and still retain the hill, scoreboard and the fig trees. Here's a quick mock-up I did showing it;

20i8a2s.jpg

Of course realistically, any additional development at the Oval is a long way off, given we have just spend $535m on the place, but it will happen in the future at some point.

The AO design sets it apart from the mass of concrete and steel of other stadiums. It's a modern stadium that has a nice heritage feel to it. I don't want to see the northern end of the ground make way for a big grand-stand. It's what makes AO unique.

Yep, I agree with this. Upgrading the Western Stand (to be like the Eastern) would mean we could increase the capacity to about 58,500 and still retain the hill, scoreboard and the fig trees. Here's a quick mock-up I did showing it;

20i8a2s.jpg

Of course realistically, any additional development at the Oval is a long way off, given we have just spend $535m on the place, but it will happen in the future at some point.
Looks a bit like a baseball stadium:oops:

Looks a bit like a baseball stadium:oops:

Correct it has that feel of those grand old baseball stadiums which have been replicated by the $300mil to $800mil news once built in te USA the last 15 years or so. About half the new ones are all concrete the other other keep the old style.

20i8a2s.jpg

Im sure you could add another 2-3000 seats in this area behind the grass without without compromising the sky line & view of the fig trees too..

20i8a2s.jpg

That should take it above 60k.. besides that, surely their estimates are conservative with standing room on the hill and under the terraces.

Adelaide Oval ain't broke for the foreseeable future. Quit trying to fix it.

You're right, but it is important to look beyond the foreseeable future to a time when every game is a sell out and casual fans are being turned away week after week. It's not like any of us are suggesting these changes be made next week ;)

You're right, but it is important to look beyond the foreseeable future to a time when every game is a sell out and casual fans are being turned away week after week. It's not like any of us are suggesting these changes be made next week ;)

That's when we upgrade Alberton marginally with big screens to 'cater' for the regular overflow fans and keep all the bloody catering revenue for ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets have 5 consecutive years of that and start making WCE type profits because like them we can charge $690 for every seat on the wing before we even worry about that.

I think capacity is perfect at the moment, for once it really means you have to get your act together to figure out your tix, seating options etc otherwise there is a real chance you might miss out.

Seriously us port fans are the one supporter base that shouldn't want to expand the capacity. The reason we started to sell more memberships and get more regular sell outs was because we were selling out.

It's simple supply and demand. The capacity placed a little bit of pressure on getting tickets to our games for the first time ever, so people started to go out and buy tickets in advance and buy 3 game memberships etc to get tickets.

If you take away that pressure on demand over time our attendances will decrease, not increase.

The stadium is a perfect size right now. The only thing that would've been perfect is if we knew that we were going to do this rebuild before we did the western stand and we could've built more corporate facilities into that stand.

Seriously us port fans are the one supporter base that shouldn't want to expand the capacity. The reason we started to sell more memberships and get more regular sell outs was because we were selling out.

It's simple supply and demand. The capacity placed a little bit of pressure on getting tickets to our games for the first time ever, so people started to go out and buy tickets in advance and buy 3 game memberships etc to get tickets.

If you take away that pressure on demand over time our attendances will decrease, not increase.

The stadium is a perfect size right now. The only thing that would've been perfect is if we knew that we were going to do this rebuild before we did the western stand and we could've built more corporate facilities into that stand.

Yeah couldn't agree more with this. Even if we increase the capacity to 65,000 there will be 10-15,000 seats empty for most of our games except for the bigger draw card games. If we have a few bad seasons the crowd figures will drop as well. It's silly even thinking about upgrading Adelaide Oval at this stage, we've had one season there for crying out loud. Maybe look at upgrading in 10-15 years time if we're still selling out most games.

Start of the season he said if we crack 50k members there was gonna be a huge prize. Bigger than the car from last year

Hey yeah, what happened with that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back