• Yes

Votes: 61 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 56.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 24 12.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? You don't believe that some Port Adelaide women & girls might actually be interested in going to the Footy to watch women play?
Well I was talking overall but yeah the aflw numbers are or course also dubious. I asked if freebies are given away as crows aflw memberships were offered each year of auskick to my kids so wondering if they count (assuming they do). It doesn't make any sense coming off a terrible first season and a decline in interest across the whole aflw that our memberships would rise, much like it doesn't make any sense for our memberships to be rising this late in the season to get to 67k. It feels like they'll find any memberships or offerings that count as "memberships" these days to make 70k this year.

The numbers are dubious before you even count AFLW members & always have been.
Yeah, look I dont disagree in principle with what you say. However, people need to stop whinging about recent rises, it's patently obvious that these are due to AFLW memberships.

As for some other recent "dodgy" rises, my only point of contention is that it is commonly agreed that EVERY club does it. So many of the huge jumps in memberships that we have seen from some clubs is even more highly questionable, they are clearly not from multiple game or season tickets.

Having a go at Port as if we are the exception in this is a bit churlish IMO. I know it is just because everyone is p!ssed off with our admin, but c'mon!

Yeah, look I dont disagree in principle with what you say. However, people need to stop whinging about recent rises, it's patently obvious that these are due to AFLW memberships.

As for some other recent "dodgy" rises, my only point of contention is that it is commonly agreed that EVERY club does it. So many of the huge jumps in memberships that we have seen from some clubs is even more highly questionable, they are clearly not from multiple game or season tickets.

Having a go at Port as if we are the exception in this is a bit churlish IMO. I know it is just because everyone is p!ssed off with our admin, but c'mon!
I think everyone is saying the AFL's entire membership numbers are dubious and not worth focusing on. What didn't nearly 75% of the teams post record memberships? The AFLW ones, how many are free? It's rife for give aways either funded by AFL or what not as they need to encourage people to go, so yay we are getting more and probably AFLW but are they actually bringing in any revenue (which is what we all care about).

Will we ever get a clear answer? No, unless someone leaks detailed membership revenue breakdowns from the club or for all clubs somehow, so it's all a bit pointless. I'd much rather if we showed a full game membership tally separate, in true current club fashion we could have True Believers 38700 and All members 68535.

I think everyone is saying the AFL's entire membership numbers are dubious and not worth focusing on. What didn't nearly 75% of the teams post record memberships? The AFLW ones, how many are free? It's rife for give aways either funded by AFL or what not as they need to encourage people to go, so yay we are getting more and probably AFLW but are they actually bringing in any revenue (which is what we all care about).

Will we ever get a clear answer? No, unless someone leaks detailed membership revenue breakdowns from the club or for all clubs somehow, so it's all a bit pointless. I'd much rather if we showed a full game membership tally separate, in true current club fashion we could have True Believers 38700 and All members 68535.
Yep ... I dont disagree with that. Tighten up the criteria of what constitutes a member, and stick to it, otherwise it's a useless number!

Yep ... I dont disagree with that. Tighten up the criteria of what constitutes a member, and stick to it, otherwise it's a useless number!
Fans of clubs are only the target audience of Member numbers, in that they want to create a FOMO situation. It's about selling TV/Internet rights and other sponsorships, both at AFL level and club level. Like almost all advertising, it's half-truths at best.

Fans of clubs are only the target audience of Member numbers, in that they want to create a FOMO situation. It's about selling TV/Internet rights and other sponsorships, both at AFL level and club level. Like almost all advertising, it's half-truths at best.
Like newspaper circulation numbers, it's for advertisers/sponsors.

The AFL ‘tightened’ it back in 2016 and it’s still laughably flimsy.

Most people would agree a ‘club membership’ should include:

• A residential/postal address
• A season ticket granting access to 11 home games
• Voting rights

But from memory the latest audit criteria is:

• Res/Postal Address
• Min. $50 spend
• Any gameday access

There’s so many ways you can cook that, it’s absurd.

2023 Membership Update 1st of August

MEM23_AFL_MembershipCounter-0109.jpg

Most likely final update before AFL deadline

Increase of 437 members in 2 days (30th of August)

Averaging (7 years) 59,553 members at the end of July
Increase likely due to AFLW members (+3000 & new/old members rejoining?)

Jesus there must be some new offering they've all jumped on to get that minimum criteria, these numbers are absurd league wide. 14 clubs now with record membership in 2023, GWS with 32700 memberships lol.
1693641866229.png

Jesus there must be some new offering they've all jumped on to get that minimum criteria, these numbers are absurd league wide. 14 clubs now with record membership in 2023, GWS with 32700 memberships lol.
View attachment 1792458
Totallly meaningless figures. Membership revenue the only reliable indicator.

2023 Membership Update 5th of August

Mem_Number.png

Should be the final update, AFL audited figures will be out either this week or next

Increase of 386 members in 4 days (1st of September)

Averaging (7 years) 59,553 members at the end of July
Increase likely due to AFLW members (+3000 & new/old members rejoining?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Voting rights

• Res/Postal Address
• Min. $50 spend
• Any gameday access

The AFL loosened the criteria massively 6 years ago.

Its now a minimum spend of $1.

Richmond basically gave the AFL a list of membership classes that if the AFL allowed them to be counted it could hit 100k members. And the AFL, wanting the PR glory of "we have a club with 100k members" allowed it.

All the other clubs, then found out they could count more categories. Its why every other club got a big jump the next season after Richmond's first 100k members announcement.

“Welcoming over 15,000 new members to Port Adelaide with significant growth in critical demographics to build the next generation..."

My main takes:

• Very high turn-over on the older generations. 15K are not in addition to 2022 members, but a vast majority (~10k) are replacing retiring members. I bet the revenue per member is a lot lower with these "new" members.
  • The older generations (i.e. people that think like most of us in this forum) are a dying breed.

Embrace the happy clappers, folks!

“Welcoming over 15,000 new members to Port Adelaide with significant growth in critical demographics to build the next generation..."

My main takes:

• Very high turn-over on the older generations. 15K are not in addition to 2022 members, but a vast majority (~10k) are replacing retiring members. I bet the revenue per member is a lot lower with these "new" members.
  • The older generations (i.e. people that think like most of us in this forum) are a dying breed.

At my age, it would be appreciated if you could use more sensitive terminology please.:D

My main takes:

I wonder how many of the 15,000 pay the $500plus I was paying?

My main takes:

It's all AFLW. That's the new demographic, young families/girls who otherwise wouldn't look at football. Its no coincidence Hawthorn hit their membership record 7 years after their latest flag but the same year they got an AFLW side.

• Voting rights

• Res/Postal Address
• Min. $50 spend
• Any gameday access

So Country Members Who Pay over 200 bucks a year don't count as Members?

So Country Members Who Pay over 200 bucks a year don't count as Members?
They have always counted.

At one point think in 2016, the critera was, at least $50 membership fee paid, a name and an address ie so club and sponsors can send marketing info to individual member.

Back