Preview 2023 Goodbye (To 2024) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You see in this game the damage that long term cultural failure inflicts on even the brightest of talents. Rozee and Butters both had 2 home preliminary final chokes under their belts just 3 years into their careers. They're already head f***** when it comes to finals. And the culture and lack of mental fortitude just gets passed down with every shambolic finals campaign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see in this game the damage that long term cultural failure inflicts on even the brightest of talents. Rozee and Butters both had 2 home preliminary final chokes under their belts just 3 years into their careers. They're already head f***** when it comes to finals. And the culture and lack of mental fortitude just gets passed down with every shambolic finals campaign.
This is why Boak shouldn't be on the list next year. Great training attitude, awesome bloke, but was mentally scared from 2007 and the scars never were healed, because the result was never really addressed. We've now had multiple finals failures with no real addressing of the underlying issues (the biggest obviously Hinkley). Any or all of Boak, Dixon, Lycett, Clurey we get offered a packet of chips for we should take, these guys have been around for too many failures and are too old to recover from the after effects.

Butters I thought was ok to good tonight. Rozee less so. But yes the psychological damage/“culture” of living in the Ken cult is definitely a thing with some. Burton’s decline is sad and we may be seeing something similar with Farrell as well. I still think Duursma is finding his post injury feet so I’ll reserve judgement until the end of next season. In a premiership contender you get those little extra things from the less heralded role players. Not the “deer in headlights” we keep seeing repeatedly.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Finals are scary

If you say they are scary because you want the kids to run to daddy… that’s a kind of abuse. Speaking in the sense of literature, not law of course.

I’m less pissed at this loss than last week. I guess now that it’s the end, there is relief and I don’t have to put any emotional energy into this shell of this once great club.

This is why Boak shouldn't be on the list next year. Great training attitude, awesome bloke, but was mentally scared from 2007 and the scars never were healed, because the result was never really addressed. We've now had multiple finals failures with no real addressing of the underlying issues (the biggest obviously Hinkley). Any or all of Boak, Dixon, Lycett, Clurey we get offered a packet of chips for we should take, these guys have been around for too many failures and are too old to recover from the after effects.

Fair enough, sort of. Not sure there’s a connection to 2007 anymore except maybe in a paralysed board refusing to take risks in fear of another 2011-12 follow on. That Boak was actually “not bad” tonight doesn’t change anything. It just galls me that Hinkley is the one who gets the unwarranted contract extension. Lycett, Dixon, McKenzie with seemingly terminal injuries is not on Ken but refusing to develop a list to carry ANY of their absences IS on him.

My son said he was confident we are on the cusp of a 6 month unbeaten streak.- starting next week 🤣
All due to the magic of Ken!!!

I'm going to spend the off season learning about the nuances of carbon neutrality, then apply for Kochie's chairman's role.

Stop blaming fringe players. The game was lost in the first half when our midfield decided to replicate their efforts from the Bulldogs final and do a total disappearing act. The rest of the team stood absolutely no chance in the face of the midfield's pathetic effort. I'm looking at you Rozee, Butters, Wines. Drew gets a pass mark, as does JHF given his relative inexperience. The other three cost us any chance of being in that game. Simple as that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back