Preview 2023 Goodbye (To 2024) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I understand the consternation around the midfield mix. We need 7 mids in the full 22:
  • 3 primary (Wines, Rozee, Butters)
  • 2 wings (Boak, Burgoyne)
  • 2 bench, one who should be able to play both centre square or wing (Drew, JHF)

Seems like a really good mix to me. Let's also not forget that while the centre square combo is important, it accounts for about 5 minutes of a 120 minute game (30 bounces, 10 seconds each).
In this scenario - the wings are actually a bit weak tbh - Boak (old) and Jase (young). None have shown they can play forward too - so don’t offer much flexibility. Then it’s either Ollie, Drew that covers the rest on the wing

JHF (Butters/Rozee) will be best rolling forward. So, the third bench spot would be ideal to play a hybrid wing/ forward role type.

Maybe this is Georgi, Jed, Sinn, Finlayson, DBJ or one of the half backs as we are stacked (Burton, Farell, Jones, Bergman, Williams)

I reckon Finlayson as a utility, or Bergman would be the best of that lot for team balance.

I think we’re a real chance to win the cup, not because Hinkley is a great coach, but because the list is strong enough and primed that I think a decent percentage of Div 7 coaches could lead this team to an afl cup.

My fear is that Hinkley will Hinkley this thing and fall short.
I don't have any belief that our talent can still push through that. The way we play is so similar to our club position. Extremely stable, consistent, and when the tempo rises our consistency can't rise. We try to play bruise free too often, happy with just getting the one point win rather than going for the jugular. I also think our core of young players is also still quite young and got found out in finals against some bigger harder bodies. I mean hopefully their natural progression takes another step, but it still feels we're not quite primed just yet.

Need a new coach to shake things up and another year or 2 into the core group of kids.

I don't have any belief that our talent can still push through that. The way we play is so similar to our club position. Extremely stable, consistent, and when the tempo rises our consistency can't rise. We try to play bruise free too often, happy with just getting the one point win rather than going for the jugular. I also think our core of young players is also still quite young and got found out in finals against some bigger harder bodies. I mean hopefully their natural progression takes another step, but it still feels we're not quite primed just yet.

Need a new coach to shake things up and another year or 2 into the core group of kids.

I think we're definitely top 4 and 'in it' if Esava and Soldo come as advertised.

I feel like our list should be primed now, guys like Gray and Boak peaked in 2014 when they were around 25 so Rozee and Butters are around that mark. We've got fair chunk of the list entering prime years, and we aren't heavily reliant on plus 30 year olds as some of the other clubs in top 8 contention, so it should hold us in good stead going forward.

I'm not sure if Esava and BZT can slot in a make a sudden impact, that may take time, and we lack another genuine classy goal kicking small forward but a part from that we are running out of excuses for this squad.

I think we are close but i'm much more optimistic about season 2024 than many on here.

Hoping it's only until the new wingman puts his hand up, the half back flank squeeze will sort things out.
Where does boak play if not wing?

Forward? No......
Midfield rotation?
Cover for injury?
SANFL..... Probably best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping it's only until the new wingman puts his hand up, the half back flank squeeze will sort things out.
Where does boak play if not wing?

Forward? No......
Midfield rotation?
Cover for injury?
SANFL..... Probably best
He's best 22, would have him off the bench as midfield rotation.

He's best 22, would have him off the bench as midfield rotation.
cant have a 6 man on ball brigade (butters,rozee,JHF,drew,wines and boak) way to many, he either has to prove his worth on a wing or half forward, or play as a sub/ depth player.

cant have a 6 man on ball brigade (butters,rozee,JHF,drew,wines and boak) way to many, he either has to prove his worth on a wing or half forward, or play as a sub/ depth player.
Some players will play some minutes on the wing and half forward as well. JHF deep forward during parts.

When has any of that mattered? Its Boak and Wines so they play. They were on the wings last year. Same for Dixon, Burton and DBJ. Theres no dropping them ever.

Ken Hinkley training leap frog vs Adam Kingsley fighting on the beach players built like tanks

Screenshot_20240221_193502_Chrome.jpg

Ilias you provide a great service to the forum but the Sith Lord vibe leaves me uneasy, I dare you to say something positive about this pre-season I would love to read it

Yeah straight sets exit after a decade let's play leap frog and do PR photos with kids

Good to know supporters are easily duped

Yes the reason we went out in straight sets is because we played 5 minutes of leap frog and... took PR photos?

Boy these false equivalences are incredible.

Please, go and browse GWS' instagram, tiktok and Twitter accounts, see what they get up to.

I could just as easily find photos of PA players wrestling in our pre-season camp and post them.

But that dosent fit your narrative

2024 pass mark: Finish in the top four and win a final

After losing two of the first three games last season, the pressure that was put on Port Adelaide and long-serving coach Ken Hinkley was intense. From there, the Power rode a dazzling 13-game win streak, finished third on the ladder, and re-signed Hinkley for a further two years. Then? Straight sets.

It wasn't good enough for a club with hefty expectations, but those expectations don't change in 2024. Hinkley has at his disposal one of the game's most exciting midfield units consisting of Zak Butters, Connor Rozee, Jason Horne-Francis, and 2022 Brownlow medallist Ollie Wines, and they've brought in Esava Ratugolea and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher to add defensive stability that they clearly lacked last season.

They have no choice but to improve, but can they handle the pressure for yet another season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back