• No

Votes: 107 56.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 24 12.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Membership Update 22nd of August

MEM23_AFL_MembershipCounter-2208.jpg

Increase of 503 members in 1 day (21st of August)
Averaging (7 years) 59,553 members at the end of July
Increase likely due to AFLW members (3000++)

Dont want too go to far into the maths of it, but wanted to see just when this final jump in membership from " extravagant" to "super extravagant" occurred, and by just how much.
So the membership curve (minus one early data point that caused a big jump in membership at the next recorded value) can be constructed into a "usual flow" (Curve A) and an "abnormal flow" of memberships (Curve B). When added together they produce something looking like the actual membership curve.
So
1. "Usual Flow" of membership began to be compromised on about 29 July 2023 - when "abnormal flow" began.
2. At 22 August 2023 the "usual flow" comprised about 59028 members. This is very much like a historical membership number..
3. As at 22 August 2023 the "abnormal flow" comprised about 6426 members

I suspect, as assumed by most, that this relates mainly to AFLW members, but could also have a contribution by "bandwagonners". I expect the latter to be small.
fitting of complex membership curve 230823.jpg

Last edited:

Does anyone really think that people are paying membership fees in round 23 after holding off all year.
Who is the club trying to convince with this running update?
It's round 23 of the AFL but pre-season for the AFLW. I would assume that the majority of new memberships, if not all, at this time of year are AFLW memberships.

Does anyone really think that people are paying membership fees in round 23 after holding off all year.
Who is the club trying to convince with this running update?
Dutchy, OGC and RossFC? Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9,000 members since 30 june - 90%+ would be AFLW members and I'd say at least half those would be double up members ie have bought a membership for men's and women's team. No way have 9,000 new members have rocked up in last 8 weeks. There'd be a few band wagoners who bought a membership to get rights to tickets in September.

AFL approve double counting, they will in their audited figures when its announced next week. Its good for their marketing to say a new record has been set for 15 clubs etc. Port's adjustment will about 5k downward to reflect the 72% of the 7k to 8k AO Footy members sold by the SMA that get allocated to the crows by the AFL.

Last edited:
2023 Membership Update 28th of August

MEM23_AFL_MembershipCounter-2808.jpg

Increase of 814 members in 3 day (24th of August)
Increase likely due to AFLW members (+3000 & new/old members rejoining?)

I've had an email and a phone call from the club today, chasing up for my AFLW membership, so maybe it's the vitual giveaway men's memberships that have been boosting the numbers so much recently. I didn't give the caller much joy, telling her I'm still thinking about it. After the call I thought, oh sh1t, what if that was one of the players I was so short with, but we haven't got a Lara in the squad as far as I can see. I'm sure, Matilda or Yasmin or Sachi could've talked me into it...

2023 Membership Update 30th of August

MEM23_AFL_MembershipCounter-3008.jpg

Increase of 567 members in 2 days (28th of August)
Increase likely due to AFLW members (+3000 & new/old members rejoining?)

Back