2015 Membership Thread - Can we get 35,000

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd just like to take the chance to pre-emptively apologise to anyone for that has a Footscray End reserved seat for my behaviour.

Upgrading from a GA membership after missing out last year.

giphy.gif

I'd just like to take the chance to pre-emptively apologise to anyone for that has a Footscray End reserved seat for my behaviour.

Upgrading from a GA membership after missing out last year.

giphy.gif
That's my American Half Brother haha
Was acting like that at the VFL Grand Final, Don't worry you will fit in well

Need to get everyone behind us this year, break a record, the club needs it!

Buy as many as you can and convince as many people as you can to sign up!

Haven't got my membership renewal form yet in the mail probably come next week but you can really just renew online. Anyone still haven't got anything.
I got my mine in WA. Interestingly I must have signed myself up to the Bulldogs for life thing.

I called the Doggies membership department today so its all sorted with that. They said I should get an email in the next few days and mail in 1-2 weeks. They were very helpful.

Managed to persuade the mrs into changing from those filthy Pies to the doggies at the start of the 2013 season. Took a little while but now she won't miss a game on telly. Living 4.5 hours away it's tough to get to games but we managed 4 this year (Richmond, Brisbane, Essendon 2nd, GWS, and a 5th if you count the first Footscray final against Williamstown) and now she's hooked.

So for the first time looks like there'll be a Family "Long Distance" membership in our household. And maybe 4 pet memberships as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to be really interesting to see how our membership develops this season. There are a number of positive, negative, and 'who knows' factors driving it in comparison to last year:

Positives
  • Acquisition of Tom Boyd is a massive boost to memberships, given we've been looking for one of these types for years.
  • The loss of Macca may help to get the anti-Macca crew back on board.
  • VFL premiership sells hope.
  • The likes of Bont, Stringer and Macrae coming into their own last year showed that we're definitely building.

Negatives
  • Cooney and - especially - Griffen are/were massively popular players - them going could have an impact.
  • Those sold on Macca's vision may be less inclined to sign up.
  • Our results stagnated.
  • With the list overwhelmingly composed of youth, it's likely to be a bit of a rough year.
  • Critics of the Boyd deal may believe we're putting all our eggs in one basket.
  • Rumours of unrest in the playing group may frustrate some fans and give them less hope for the future.

Who Knows?
  • New coach - will he sell hope or fail to inspire the fans?
  • Results - will our results show an upward trajectory from last years'?
  • Will our younger players continue to develop?

Personally I'm expecting it to boost a little - perhaps to 32k or so - but I'm not sure we'll break the record. It's going to be interesting to watch develop, though. Hopefully we can hit 35k and beyond.

Negatives
  • Critics of the Boyd deal may believe we're putting all our eggs in one basket.
  • Rumours of unrest in the playing group may frustrate some fans and give them less hope for the future.
Most of your points are pretty valid, but I completely disagree with these two. The only ones that I've seen that are critics of the Boyd deal are the likes of Mark Robinson, jealous supporters from other clubs, and maybe 0.00001% of Bulldogs fans. That's negligible and might cause a drop of 5 memberships if that.

As for rumours of unrest, I don't see that giving people less hope for the future. From an outside view, the rumours of unrest were between players that have left the club and the young folks, or the coach and the players. Which means that those causing the unrest are no longer at the club, so it shouldn't impact membership whatsoever.

Although knowing some fans, they're just stupid enough to not think logically and get angry for no reason, and not buy a new membership.

Most of your points are pretty valid, but I completely disagree with these two. The only ones that I've seen that are critics of the Boyd deal are the likes of Mark Robinson, jealous supporters from other clubs, and maybe 0.00001% of Bulldogs fans. That's negligible and might cause a drop of 5 memberships if that.

As for rumours of unrest, I don't see that giving people less hope for the future. From an outside view, the rumours of unrest were between players that have left the club and the young folks, or the coach and the players. Which means that those causing the unrest are no longer at the club, so it shouldn't impact membership whatsoever.

Although knowing some fans, they're just stupid enough to not think logically and get angry for no reason, and not buy a new membership.
On your first note, you may have a point; but I know of multiple Dogs supporters who are extremely disappointed and deflated because of a) Boyd's salary, and b) what we gave up in the deal. I really don't know many Dogs supporters but the ones I do are mostly unable to see the bigger picture and feel we've risked our future chances of retention by paying him so much, and bitten off more than we can chew in the trade. That said, the small sample size means I can't really draw any conclusions from it. I do agree with you that it likely has only a small effect, but I still think it will have some effect. Personally, I think it's a pathetic reason not to buy a membership, even if you do feel that way - but I wouldn't put it past some.

On the second, I can't agree. The media have been playing this up for months and the rumours are not limited to older players as you suggest. Player unrest can seriously destabilise a club and lead to stagnation or regression; if you're inclined to believe that there is some, it could impact on your view of the future.

On the third point, I agree totally and that's the point I was trying to make. :p I think a lot of the reasons I've put in the 'negatives' section are quite silly, but my point was just that they're potential 'areas to watch;' factors that could negatively impact the membership numbers one way or another. Also important to realise that the factors described above may not have a significant impact by themselves, but they might when they interact with other factors - for example, if somebody is struggling a bit financially, and thinks the club is unstable and won't be successful because of it, they're likely to be less inclined to buy the membership.

On your first note, you may have a point; but I know of multiple Dogs supporters who are extremely disappointed and deflated because of a) Boyd's salary, and b) what we gave up in the deal. I really don't know many Dogs supporters but the ones I do are mostly unable to see the bigger picture and feel we've risked our future chances of retention by paying him so much, and bitten off more than we can chew in the trade. That said, the small sample size means I can't really draw any conclusions from it. I do agree with you that it likely has only a small effect, but I still think it will have some effect. Personally, I think it's a pathetic reason not to buy a membership, even if you do feel that way - but I wouldn't put it past some.

On the second, I can't agree. The media have been playing this up for months and the rumours are not limited to older players as you suggest. Player unrest can seriously destabilise a club and lead to stagnation or regression; if you're inclined to believe that there is some, it could impact on your view of the future.

On the third point, I agree totally and that's the point I was trying to make. :p I think a lot of the reasons I've put in the 'negatives' section are quite silly, but my point was just that they're potential 'areas to watch;' factors that could negatively impact the membership numbers one way or another. Also important to realise that the factors described above may not have a significant impact by themselves, but they might when they interact with other factors - for example, if somebody is struggling a bit financially, and thinks the club is unstable and won't be successful because of it, they're likely to be less inclined to buy the membership.
Well on the flipside, all Dogs supporters that I know (not too many obviously) all love the Boyd deal and think that the fact Griffen was going means that we effectively gave up a poison and pick 6 to get Boyd. I even know a couple that are buying 2 memberships instead of just the one, so we're obviously speaking to two very different groups of supporters. And the overwhelming view on this board, especially after the initial shock wore off, is that it's a great outcome for the club. Even on the facebook group, where none should ever go, it's still overwhelmingly positive from my view.

Well all the rumours I've heard, and those I've discussed with the same group I mentioned before, involved Jones, Cooney, Minson a couple of others I can't remember, and Griff and Macca just letting it happen. And they're all gone apart from Minson. And most Dogs supporters have learnt to ignore the media because they're idiots :p

I get your point, I just personally think that the only ones that will affect membership will be Griff leaving, the results, and I think it will massively depend on who our new coach is. If we go Sumich and he comes out in the press conference and speaks, well, like Sumich, it might dissuade a few from getting memberships. If we get Tudor however, and he comes out and speaks strongly and positively, it might convince a few people to buy a membership. And then there's the potential draftees as well. There's still a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Well on the flipside, all Dogs supporters that I know (not too many obviously) all love the Boyd deal and think that the fact Griffen was going means that we effectively gave up a poison and pick 6 to get Boyd. I even know a couple that are buying 2 memberships instead of just the one, so we're obviously speaking to two very different groups of supporters. And the overwhelming view on this board, especially after the initial shock wore off, is that it's a great outcome for the club. Even on the facebook group, where none should ever go, it's still overwhelmingly positive from my view.

Well all the rumours I've heard, and those I've discussed with the same group I mentioned before, involved Jones, Cooney, Minson a couple of others I can't remember, and Griff and Macca just letting it happen. And they're all gone apart from Minson. And most Dogs supporters have learnt to ignore the media because they're idiots :p

I get your point, I just personally think that the only ones that will affect membership will be Griff leaving, the results, and I think it will massively depend on who our new coach is. If we go Sumich and he comes out in the press conference and speaks, well, like Sumich, it might dissuade a few from getting memberships. If we get Tudor however, and he comes out and speaks strongly and positively, it might convince a few people to buy a membership. And then there's the potential draftees as well. There's still a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Mate i think you are overselling the information gathering capabilities of the average Bulldog fan. Or confusing the average Bulldog fan with the extremely knowledgeable fans on Bigfooty.
In all seriousness the average Dogs fan would only know what they see and hear in the media, and will form opinions on that.
Don't underestimate the impact that our Captain and others walking out on us and then the coach getting the flick will have on the supporter base. Most wont know any of the underlying reasons for that happening, and the VFL premiership is now a distant memory.
I think that membership will be quite slow after the Bulldog for life renewals take place with a lot of fans sitting back to see hoe the season starts out before they decide if they commit.

I wonder how many multiple membership buyers there really are. If there's a lot (while full of admiration for them) I would be worried because it means our membership numbers are being pumped up by people buying two, four or even ten memberships. I doubt there would be any reason to do this if you followed Collingwood, West Coast or Hawthorn.

What I'm saying is it may be even worse than it looks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back