2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaharakis still has a spot on Essendon's list doesn't he?

That should be the damning evidence against the Dons players, ie there was the opportunity to say no.

I wonder if the AFL does enough with new draftees as an independent body and warn and advise them about what Clubs can and cant do.

In the same way they have the ability to say no, they also have consequences for saying no. Essentially loss of career, earnings, house, partner....etc etc.

So now if an animal doesnt want to do it, then we shouldnt allow it?
Ban steaks then.
Ban eggs.
Ban milk.
Im guessing you consume all of these things...what if the cow doesnt want a farmer pulling on his udder all morning?

Its plain madness to think like that.

What those individuals did was wrong and disgusting and even if it is rife through the industry (which i dont really believe that it is) that is absolutely no cause to shut down the industry.

Just give up.

Zaharakis still has a spot on Essendon's list doesn't he?

Come on mate, seriously. Sensationalism at its finest. There's no point even debating this if you can't see the difference between the examples you've just suggested, and using animals as live bate to train a dog to run around a track.

I can see the difference.
The difference is people here like footy and not greyhound racing.

All im saying is you never shut down a whole industry on the back of a few people abusing the system.
I would've thought that was a pretty ******* simple concept, but apparently not.

Look at live exports. People tried to shut it down due to a number of cases of people mistreating the animals once they made it to their destination. The government were shocked and appalled and temporarily stopped the industry....UNTIL they realised that thousands of jobs would be lost, millions of tax revenue and billions of dollars worth of exports would be lost...so what did they do? Put more stringent laws, guidelines and monitoring processes to allow the good honest people to continue while weeding out the people doing the wrong thing.

Last edited:

That should be the damning evidence against the Dons players, ie there was the opportunity to say no.

I wonder if the AFL does enough with new draftees as an independent body and warn and advise them about what Clubs can and cant do.

He only said no due to a fear of needles (which is actually considered a disorder by some).
And you'd think the AFL would be onto improving the process, although from what I understand they do more 'education' for their rookies than most sports leagues around the world.

Whats everyones thoughts on our round 2 opponent Collingwood? I actually think for the first time in a long time we match up really well with them (we obviously did last year as well beating them twice - but prior to 2014 we were their bunnies).

Think we have the advantage is in the middle with Sauce v Grundy, Pendles V Danger, Swan V Crouch, Greenwood v Sloane, Sidebottom V Douglas and Adams v Thompson.

We have the ability to cover their forwards as well. Historically Talia has accounted for Cloke, I am confident that Hartigan can handle White and Brown has matched up very well on Elliot.

I think we have the big advantage in our forward 50. Walker/Jenkins/Betts will be very tough for Frost/OKeefe/Williams to handle. They have also lost a hell of a lot of experience and drive off of half back over the past 2 years - Heath Shaw, Harry O and Nick Maxwell have all been very influential in how Collingwood move the ball out of their back 50. They will really be hoping that Varcoe can take over the Shaw/HarryO role in 2015 so that they can allow Goldsack to be the defensive forward. He will no doubt get the role on Smith.

For me the biggest question is whether Ben Reid will play any significant part for them. Has been sent to Germany to try and fix up those troublesome hammy's. He makes them a much much better side when healthy as he can help out in attack and defense.

Collingwood have a lot (and I mean a lot) of highly rated youngsters in Kennedy, Broomhead, Grundy, De Goey, Moore, Freeman, Maynard alongside the talented but injured Scharenburg.

Considering we only play the Pies once - I am glad it happens early before their side gets settled.
Do not rate them at all this year, I would expect a comfortable win if our side is close to full strength

Do not rate them at all this year, I would expect a comfortable win if our side is close to full strength

Before last year, they were traditionally our bogey side, we didnt defeat them since R1 2009.

I would say had we beaten Melbourne the week before that streak may have continued.

I lost all interest in the "sport" after seing this BUT in England for years they used whippets and greyhounds to chase both hares and rabbits in an enclosed course, hence the sport was called coursing. Greyhound racing was derived from this.

Now ask yourself this, if this so called shocking report had not be published would you have known about it? IMO opinion it is a typical Murdoch paper beatup.

I'm NOT condoning the practice in anyway, just stating what I have personally seen.
Since when did Murdoch own the ABC?

Gather you didn't watch 4 Corners last week!

I suggest you do & then get back to me whether you think it is a media beatup..

Zaharakis has been reported to have stated at a Sportsmans night late last year that he does not have a fear of needles at all. It was just said by the club to explain why he declined to take part.
bahaha, brilliant

meanwhile at Windy Hill:
AiVEF83.jpg

Since when did Murdoch own the ABC?

Gather you didn't watch 4 Corners last week!

I suggest you do & then get back to me whether you think it is a media beatup..

Pardon me for being a cynical SOB Kane. NO I didn't watch 4 corners as they lost me years ago. Cast your mind back to the days of the ABC being truly independent, compare that to what happened when Conrad Black and Rupert Murdoch got involved in the Aussie media. Black is long gone but Murdoch tells the PM of the day what is going to get reported. Simple as that. The point I was making was very basic. This practise which I don't condone has been around for years. Nothing new and yes it is barbaric along with the way horses are trained.

I will now wait on the next episode "discovered" by a young reporter when he/she brings to our attention about the use of batteries to make horses perform better.

Pardon me for being a cynical SOB Kane. NO I didn't watch 4 corners as they lost me years ago. Cast your mind back to the days of the ABC being truly independent, compare that to what happened when Conrad Black and Rupert Murdoch got involved in the Aussie media. Black is long gone but Murdoch tells the PM of the day what is going to get reported. Simple as that. The point I was making was very basic. This practise which I don't condone has been around for years. Nothing new and yes it is barbaric along with the way horses are trained.

I will now wait on the next episode "discovered" by a young reporter when he/she brings to our attention about the use of batteries to make horses perform better.
I deployed your suggestion it was a media beat up. No one who actually watched 4 Corners would have suggested this. You seem more concerned with the media than the actual facts ranting about Murdoch & abc's independence which are hardly relevant.

This may not be news to you, but it is to most & was a story in the public interest. These practices must be stamped out as should dodgy horse training, use of drugs, etc.

Last edited:
I deployed your suggestion it was a media beat up. No one who actually watched 4 Corners would have suggested this. You seem more concerned with the media than the actual facts ranting about Murdoch & abc's independence which are hardly relevant.

This may not be news to you, but it is to most & was a story in the public interest. These practices must be stamped out as should dodgy horse training, use of drugs, etc.

Yes you are right regarding my distain for the media. 4 Corners used to be the holy grail of hard hitting, factual stories but their standards have slipped due to Murdoch's influence. Good luck with trying to stamp out dodgy practises in ALL sports, but when there is money concerned bad things happen, eg. Essendon drug scandal, Rugbys drug use and of course the Cycling teams being just 3 of them. That is the reason why I no longer bet on anything other than myself. At least I know I will be trying my hardest to win, not relying on other peoples' hidden agendas.

Talk on 5aa is that the boss of ASADA said last night that they think the evidence they have gathered is so rock solid and damning that if the players don't receive a decent wack they will appeal. If they appeal the players will remain suspended until after the appeal process.

Rowie said that Petrenko has left to join Essendon and his SANFL club don't expect him to come back this year. So his SANFL club have been given the indication that the players who have been given the show cause notices will not play a game in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk on 5aa is that the boss of ASADA said last night that they think the evidence they have gathered is so rock solid and damning that if the players don't receive a decent wack they will appeal. If they appeal the players will remain suspended until after the appeal process.

Rowie said that Petrenko has left to join Essendon and his SANFL club don't expect him to come back this year. So his SANFL club have been given the indication that the players who have been given the show cause notices will not play a game in 2015.

It was Ben McDevitt reporting to the Senate Committee on Wednesday. I can correct something I said on the podcast as Ben provided a bit more info on the penalty etc and appeals.

My understanding of what he said was that if there was not an appropriate punishment in ASADAs mind (he was careful in his responses to the committee to state that he could not provide an opinion on what the AFL Tribunal will decide, so he was talking in 'what ifs' about this) then they would be willing to appeal in instances such as that. If ASADA appeal, then it would go back to the AFL Drug Tribunal, but if WADA also wished to appeal then their appeal would go straight to CAS.

He also revealed that the standard punishment for what the 34 players have been charged with is normally 2 years!

Also of note was that Dank has been charged with trafficking.

From the AFL report on their website:

With players having started provisional suspensions in November, McDevitt agreed that players could be found guilty of anti-doping code violations in this case, but not miss home and away games.

"Hypothetically, it could - as to whether or not that would be an acceptable outcome, people would have different views on that," McDevitt said.

See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-26/we-might-appeal-asada#sthash.s4qHMvNm.dpuf

For *s sake, I just switched on to see what was happening with the NAB challenge and Dwayne just said Ricciuto came from Renmark. Does this twit do any research at all?

For ****s sake, I just switched on to see what was happening with the NAB challenge and Dwayne just said Ricciuto came from Renmark. Does this twit do any research at all?

Waikerie and Renmark are both in the riverland.

Near enough...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back