2015 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If we still had our first round pick this year (unlikely) then I'd probably go with Parish as the player I want most, but also know he would be gone before our pick :( Otherwise Mathieson sounds very good too around our pick!

Daniel ...there is alway more than one player that is penciled in..cause ..unless you have pick 1 , one can not control who the other teams pick.
So even when one might like a mid or ruck..if for some reason Wietering slipped thru to our pick ,, we would take him.. Its unlikely though. VERY.

So at P9 , it would seem Matherison may be available.. but if we do trade Walker that may change or thought process a bit. At P9 Id guess Wells will just pick the player he see with most up side, like NC5 last year , and that could be someone other consider a later pick. Bonner for example ...Wells is Wells.

Daniel ...there is alway more than one player that is penciled in..cause ..unless you have pick 1 , one can not control who the other teams pick.
So even when one might like a mid or ruck..if for some reason Wietering slipped thru to our pick ,, we would take him.. Its unlikely though. VERY.

So at P9 , it would seem Matherison may be available.. but if we do trade Walker that may change or thought process a bit. At P9 Id guess Wells will just pick the player he see with most up side, like NC5 last year , and that could be someone other consider a later pick. Bonner for example ...Wells is Wells.

Yes I know that...You're making it sound like I think we are only looking at one guy :p But I know Wells would have a list of guys he rates most & their attributes, strengths/weaknesses. And when it gets to our pick (if we have it) he'll choose who he thinks would suit us best :)

Yes I know that...You're making it sound like I think we are only looking at one guy :p But I know Wells would have a list of guys he rates most & their attributes, strengths/weaknesses. And when it gets to our pick (if we have it) he'll choose who he thinks would suit us best :)

We all have guys we would like to see us pick.... occasionally we actually get them. I think I have learned not to get too attached to any kid unless he is a FS... the odds of getting them are long.

We all have guys we would like to see us pick.... occasionally we actually get them. I think I have learned not to get too attached to any kid unless he is a FS... the odds of getting them are long.

Very true :) It's funny I've only gotten really into the draft the last 2-3 years. Wasn't able to see 2012 or 2013 drafts but followed them on computer seeing Thurlow & Lang respectively first round draft picks those years. But the year I finally took the biggest interest was before the 2014 draft where I looked at all phantom drafts & things like that, many of them had us taking Peter Wright or Sam Durdin, but watching the highlights for probably the Top 20 prospects the player who I wanted the most, probably because he was the most exciting, was Cockatoo. So at the moment am 1 from 1 in terms of getting who I really wanted most :D Think I should finish on a high now & stop ;) But nah will support whoever we draft :)

Very true :) It's funny I've only gotten really into the draft the last 2-3 years. Wasn't able to see 2012 or 2013 drafts but followed them on computer seeing Thurlow & Lang respectively first round draft picks those years. But the year I finally took the biggest interest was before the 2014 draft where I looked at all phantom drafts & things like that, many of them had us taking Peter Wright or Sam Durdin, but watching the highlights for probably the Top 20 prospects the player who I wanted the most, probably because he was the most exciting, was Cockatoo. So at the moment am 1 from 1 in terms of getting who I really wanted most :D Think I should finish on a high now & stop ;) But nah will support whoever we draft :)

well you have little chance with Parish , a better chance with Matherison but it depend on what pick we have. You picked a good year to start last year with P10.. a bit more difficult when our first pick is a bit later... like in the 30's

If we still had our first round pick this year (unlikely) then I'd probably go with Parish as the player I want most, but also know he would be gone before our pick :( Otherwise Mathieson sounds very good too around our pick!
well you have little chance with Parish , a better chance with Matherison but it depend on what pick we have. You picked a good year to start last year with P10.. a bit more difficult when our first pick is a bit later... like in the 30's

I prefer Mathieson always consistently topping the stats like Joel..... but he's the size of Hodge and tough like them both.

I prefer Mathieson always consistently topping the stats like Joel..... but he's the size of Hodge and tough like them both.

I think a few of us have said we like him... be interesting to see who and what type we do go for...or in fact if still have a early pick. Id say 9 could get Matherison... but if we trade Walker , and bring in Danger and SS , I do wonder if we may take a tall forward rather than a mid. McKay , Curnow or Weideman

On Mathieson (and yeah, we all like him), I managed to catch a bit of the SANFL u/18 Grand Final yesterday between Norwood and Woodville-West Torrens and a Mathieson clone in Partington was very good in that game.

Matthew Nunn is another who looked good and has been invited to the State Combine.

Both Partington (who is quite well known) and Nunn (perhaps less so) have both played senior footy for the Redlegs this year too.

Luke Surman also did some good work playing in the ruck and up forward. Like Nunn, Surman got a berth at the State Combine.

Ladhams is one to really look for next year. His work in ruck was good for a kid still 12 months away from draft eligibility.

On Mathieson (and yeah, we all like him), I managed to catch a bit of the SANFL u/18 Grand Final yesterday between Norwood and Woodville-West Torrens and a Mathieson clone in Partington was very good in that game.

Matthew Nunn is another who looked good and has been invited to the State Combine.

Both Partington (who is quite well known) and Nunn (perhaps less so) have both played senior footy for the Redlegs this year too.

Luke Surman also did some good work playing in the ruck and up forward. Like Nunn, Surman got a berth at the State Combine.

Ladhams is one to really look for next year. His work in ruck was good for a kid still 12 months away from draft eligibility.

Clone... id have thought he was a nice blend of Parish and Matherison..still you see him ore than me.

Clone... id have thought he was a nice blend of Parish and Matherison..still you see him ore than me.
You could be right.

He just reminds me more of Mathieson than Parish to my untrained eye.

Regardless, he'd be a nice pick up if we have a pick in the first round...which I'm starting to think we won't.

You could be right.

He just reminds me more of Mathieson than Parish to my untrained eye.

Regardless, he'd be a nice pick up if we have a pick in the first round...which I'm starting to think we won't.

I agree... for us who like to notice kids... I think we will have to look a lot further back. Still Gore lasted till the late 50's so who knows.

I agree... for us who like to notice kids... I think we will have to look a lot further back. Still Gore lasted till the late 50's so who knows.
Yeah, it'll be a tricky one but there is bound to be some kids taken late that surpirse with the passing of time.

Just harder for us mug punters to judge based on a handful of games.

Still, if me manage to land these trade/FA targets we probably won't care too much about this year's draft.

Yeah, it'll be a tricky one but there is bound to be some kids taken late that surpirse with the passing of time.

Just harder for us mug punters to judge based on a handful of games.

Still, if me manage to land these trade/FA targets we probably won't care too much about this year's draft.

Maybe ..but Im greedy... as good as those FA's will hit the spot , just like a feed of Chinese ... I'll be looking to the draft very quickly after the trade period finishes. Guys like Tahana perhaps;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys like Tahana perhaps;)
He will be strutting his stuff for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves Grand Final tomorrow.

He'll be joined by Oleg Markov and Maris Olekalns (both of whom also played for SA in the U/18s this year) while Brandan Parfitt, who stepped out for NT, will also be playing for the Roosters.

He will be strutting his stuff for North Adelaide in the SANFL Reserves Grand Final tomorrow.

He'll be joined by Oleg Markov and Maris Olekalns (both of whom also played for SA in the U/18s this year) while Brandan Parfitt, who stepped out for NT, will also be playing for the Roosters.

Liked the odd clip with Markov..but he seems awfully thin and light...

Anyone see any of the U18 GF?
Does one assume you didn't?

I've been listening to the SANFL today (since my side was in both the ressies and the league - the league side might be in trouble but they are still close enough deep into the 3rd).

Phantom drafts have Kieran Lovell going 40+! If we could get him with a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would be a genius steal. Very, very skilful ball magnet and recently broke Stephen Hill's agility record.

Edit - just looked up his champs stats: he averaged 35 disp (half contested), 8 marks, 5 clearances, and 128 DT points per game. Along with a 42 disposal game and a 34 disposal 3 goal game.

Last edited:
Phantom drafts have Kieran Lovell going 40+! If we could get him with a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would be a genius steal. Very, very skilful ball magnet and recently broke Stephen Hill's agility record.

Edit - just looked up his champs stats: he averaged 35 disp (half contested), 8 marks, 5 clearances, and 128 DT points per game. Along with a 42 disposal game and a 34 disposal 3 goal game.

When you have 14 minutes of footage uploaded its a good sign. He covers a lot of ground, gets quite a few possessions by just outworking the guy on him. He teammates look to pass the ball to him when he is running nearby. Has okay skills, better vision. Would be going a lot higher if he was 10 cm taller or played for a Vic team. Seems not too dissimilar to late career Stokes, at least he projects to be that kind of player.

When you have 14 minutes of footage uploaded its a good sign. He covers a lot of ground, gets quite a few possessions by just outworking the guy on him. He teammates look to pass the ball to him when he is running nearby. Has okay skills, better vision. Would be going a lot higher if he was 10 cm taller or played for a Vic team. Seems not too dissimilar to late career Stokes, at least he projects to be that kind of player.

He also played 11 games in the TAS state league and got in the best in 7 of those games, including BOG 4 times.

So strong through the hips, reminds me more of a Chappy than Stokes tbh.

For those who couldn't/didn't watch it (I only saw snippets myself) the Allies got home 14 points.

Hibberd and Rioli did well for the Allies along with Himmelberg (who's performance may have given GWS some additional headaches since he is aligned to the Giants Academy and they will already be facing bids for Kennedy and Hopper so they'll either need to find some more picks to make up points or allow him through).

Lovell looked down on the Championship game I saw while Dodge snagged a couple of goals but was, overall, on the quiet side I thought.

The AIS Academy players looked good though, keeping in mind they are next year's draftees. There is a bit there to get a little excited about.

Petrevski-Seton and Ainsworth are quality players while thejester's boy Gallucci also flashed in and out.

Jarrod Korewha will have the most talked about hairstyle of this year's possible draftees. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back