2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Redpath still has a long way to go, but there were people who didn't even want him retained at the end of last season and said he wasn't worth promoting to the main list, even with our lack of talls! Crazy, him becoming a quality second tall for us and taking some heat off Stringer and Boyd down there is becoming one of our most important areas of development.
Honestly his rate of improvement has been staggering. People were calling for his delisting at the start of last year and I didn't blame them, now he looks like he's going to be a good player for us.

I agree and that's been my theory all along

just find it amusing you don't get berated for sayin such and I do :)

Mate I enjoy the argy bargy of posters here.... sometimes. But as an older bloke, the only advice I can give is it ain't what u say it's how u say it. :cool:

I think a lot of our players will improve dramatically under Luke Beveridge. The previous regime game plan was flawed to say the least, especially for our younger players, you must allow players a game plan that allows reward for effort, especially for your young players, they must be able to play with natural flair.
I still go back to Redpath's first game, Macca's game plan on show, saving the carnage, that day playing eight behind the ball, Geelong beat us by 10 points Macca claimed real improvement great result.
He left Redpath playing forward playing on Mackie, Harry Taylor, and londregon, Harry Taylor took 18 marks, the other two just held Redpath out.
That is what he called development, what did it do for Redpath's development??????? seen a lot of big Jack, watched him drop Dawes at Casey one night and cop 2 weeks, our new coach at Footscray VFL Hansen has done a great job with Jack, many more will improve dramatically it was obvious on Saturday, to many to name.
Honestly his rate of improvement has been staggering. People were calling for his delisting at the start of last year and I didn't blame them, now he looks like he's going to be a good player for us.

I think a lot of our players will improve dramatically under Luke Beveridge. The previous regime game plan was flawed to say the least, especially for our younger players, you must allow players a game plan that allows reward for effort, especially for your young players, they must be able to play with natural flair.
I still go back to Redpath's first game, Macca's game plan on show, saving the carnage, that day playing eight behind the ball, Geelong beat us by 10 points Macca claimed real improvement great result.
He left Redpath playing forward playing on Mackie, Harry Taylor, and londregon, Harry Taylor took 18 marks, the other two just held Redpath out.
That is what he called development, what did it do for Redpath's development??????? seen a lot of big Jack, watched him drop Dawes at Casey one night and cop 2 weeks, our new coach at Footscray VFL Hansen has done a great job with Jack, many more will improve dramatically it was obvious on Saturday, to many to name.
Not just having 8 behind the ball (I'm assuming that actually happened, since I can't remember the game plan), but having a debuting key forward being the only key forward in the team was, quite frankly, idiotic. Especially a young key forward from the rookie list! He actually showed a couple of signs which was amazing when you consider what he was up against.

MD I know what you're saying about Jong but it's not his actual kicking which is the problem as much as his decision making. He can make strange decisions. I'm not as bullish as others about where he sits in the team right now, but he has improved a hell of a lot IMO. I also worry about JJ's disposal. If you have someone who can kick the ball well (like Gilbee), the method of going forward becomes much more simplistic, structured and effective. I said after watching him last year in the 2s that Darley needs to be groomed for the role.

MD I know what you're saying about Jong but it's not his actual kicking which is the problem as much as his decision making. He can make strange decisions. I'm not as bullish as others about where he sits in the team right now, but he has improved a hell of a lot IMO. I also worry about JJ's disposal. If you have someone who can kick the ball well (like Gilbee), the method of going forward becomes much more simplistic, structured and effective. I said after watching him last year in the 2s that Darley needs to be groomed for the role.

Pann I have never said the guy has not improved

I only state IMO that if he is good enough to make our team then our team isn't much.

He simply is not AFL level no matter how good the story is, but as Ive also said Jong has done brilliant just to get this far

Mate I enjoy the argy bargy of posters here.... sometimes. But as an older bloke, the only advice I can give is it ain't what u say it's how u say it. :cool:

Mate I'm no kid myself but on here as in life I don't pull punches or follow party lines just to be accepted.

And if people can't deal with others that don't blow bubbles and flowers evrydsy theb that is their issue

Agree with this. Think he'll just let it fly this season and let the young midfield develop with the handcuffs off.

Throw in our new "zone" defence and I can see the quality teams racking up some big scores against us.

Don't think he'll even tag Gaz?

We could get some floggings this year - especially if we're going through the middle of the ground at every opportunity. Will need more than 8 behind the ball guarding space...

I think the best thing for our talls last year was that they got to play week in week out at Footscray and that consistency has built their confidence, with the occasional game in the ones. I really believe that Cordy having a full season of VFL was enormous for him, his work in tandem with TC has helped them both be better. The two tall defenders Talia and Roberts also got valuable continuity and learning from playing mostly at the lower level for a whole year, despite our need for them at the top level.
Redpath likewise. He's built on an excellent VFL season plus he got exposed to the AFL and now a great pre season. The big guys can take time and continuity even if at the lower level is not to be underestimated in building confidence. Big Jack would have learned how much fitter and better he'd need to get to be from those few games last year and he would have gone into the preseason knowing what he had to to. Anyone who watch him in the VFL finals knew he had the right attitude.

No doubt most of those talls could have played more AFL last year, hell I was calling for it, but at the same time I could see that they were trying to develop them at the lower level instead. Perhaps time will tell, but it may well have been a master stroke.

Think Goodes needs to be upgraded for Libba and given a chance in the middle. Not on a half back flank, but in the middle where his mature body and decision making can be used.
Goodes desicion making at afl level is disgusting

I really believe that Cordy having a full season of VFL was enormous for him, his work in tandem with TC has helped them both be better. The two tall defenders Talia and Roberts also got valuable continuity and learning from playing mostly at the lower level for a whole year, despite our need for them at the top level.
Redpath likewise. He's built on an excellent VFL season plus he got exposed to the AFL and now a great pre season. The big guys can take time and continuity even if at the lower level is not to be underestimated in building confidence. Big Jack would have learned how much fitter and better he'd need to get to be from those few games last year and he would have gone into the preseason knowing what he had to to. Anyone who watch him in the VFL finals knew he had the right attitute.

Cordy getting a full season would almost be a first.

Redpath has come off two knee reconstructions and always needed a season or two to get so,e confidence in his body. Feel good for him. If you speak with his junior coaches it was never about skill...just getting his attitude right for an elite sportsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Redpath still has a long way to go, but there were people who didn't even want him retained at the end of last season and said he wasn't worth promoting to the main list, even with our lack of talls! Crazy, him becoming a quality second tall for us and taking some heat off Stringer and Boyd down there is becoming one of our most important areas of development.
He's a big man and has presence. really coming on ok. Very impressive against Tiges.

Goodes desicion making at afl level is disgusting
I agree leave Goodes where he is, he has one of the most important jobs on our list, developing our younger boy's playing VFL.
I have said it before on here, last year at Port Melb, Honeychurch upset quite a few of the Port Melb men, Goodes was first in and nobody got anywhere near Honeychurch.
We are very young at FOOTSCRAY VFL and Goodes is so important there, he I s only a fill in at AFL level at best, I cannot see the point of elevating a 32 year old, who as I said, is so important to the development of our younger players at FOOTSCRAY VFL.

West Coast Round 1
FB: Hurn Brown McGovern
187cms/95kgs/152gms 195cms/93kgs/89gms 195cms/96kgs/13gms

HB: Sheppard Schofield Yeo
186cms/82kgs/59gms 196cms/92kgs/111gms 190cms/86kgs/40gms

C: Gaff Priddis Rosa

181cms/84kgs/85gms 185cms/86kgs/173gms 191cms/84kgs/151gms

HF: Wellingham Lamb Cripps

185cms/84kgs/115gms 193cms/82kgs/0gms 183cms/82kgs/151gms

FF: Lecras Kennedy Lycett

183cms/81kgs/130gms 196cms/101kgs/140gms 203cms/103kgs/22gms

R: Natanui Shuey Selwood

201cms/107kgs/108gms 183cms/88kgs/86gms 186cms/85kgs/122gms

I: Sheed Masten Bennel

185cms/83kgs/10gms 179cms/78kgs/118gms 179cms/76kgs/76gms

S: Nelson
186cms/83kgs/0gms

Average Height:
188.55cms
Average Weight: 87.68kgs
Average Games: 84.09games

Not selected in the team due to injury, form, retirements etc.
(No particular order)

Duggan, Waters, Mackenzie, Ellis, Cavaka, Colledge, Sinclair,
Butler, Darling, Turnbridge, Hill, Hutchings, Meginnity, Mclnnes,
Barast, Newman, Karpany, Main, Maginnell, Waterman, Powell,
Adanson, Brophy, Lucas

Western Bulldogs Round 1
FB: Wood Roughead Morris
186cms/84kgs/65gms 200cms/101kgs/72gms 190cms/91kgs/193gms

HB: Murphy Talia Darley
187cms/84kgs/271gms 194cms/94kgs/16gms 186cms/82kgs/18gms

C: Stevens Wallis Bontempelli

189cms/87kgs/50gms 185cms/84kgs/56gms 192cms/85kgs/16gms

HF: Hrovat Redpath Stringer

175cms/78kgs/19gms 194cms/100kgs/5gms 192cms/91kgs/28gms

FF: Dickson Toyd Campbell

184cms/85kgs/34gms 200cms/104kgs/9gms 200cms/106kgs/20gms

R: Minson Dahlhaus Macrae

199cms/106kgs/179gms 178cms/77kgs/71gms 191cms/83kgs/34gms

I: Moyd Picken Johannisen

184cms/88kgs/239gms 184cms/77kgs/129gms 180cms/79kgs/27gms

S: Grant
193cms/85kgs/62gms

Average Height:
189.23cms
Average Weight: 88.86kgs
Average Games: 73.23games

Not selected in the team due to injury, form, retirements etc.
(No particular order)

Hunter, Crameri, Zordy, Cmith, Mclean, Roberts, webb, Pearce, Liberatore,
Honeychurch, Biggs, Hamilton, Prudden, Hamling, Dale, Kelly, Daniel, Fuller
Rmith, Goodes, Jong, Aordy

I have said it before on here, last year at Port Melb, Honeychurch upset quite a few of the Port Melb men, Goodes was first in and nobody got anywhere near Honeychurch.

That's true, when we play Port again I can see someone like Toby Pinwill targeting our kids since it's what he does and he never gets called out on it.

I agree leave Goodes where he is, he has one of the most important jobs on our list, developing our younger boy's playing VFL.
We are very young at FOOTSCRAY VFL and Goodes is so important there, he I s only a fill in at AFL level at best, I cannot see the point of elevating a 32 year old, who as I said, is so important to the development of our younger players at FOOTSCRAY VFL.
I agree with all of that

I just don't feel that Toyd is a lock for round 1 yet, still think Tom Campbell (has 2 injury free nab cup games) will be breathing down his neck particularly to combat the natanui/lycett combo come round 1. Adding Campbell to Toyd/Redpath/Stringer (Big red being the only tall forward lock along with Stringer) I feel would be too big. If big tommy has a couple of good games He'd be close to round 1 selection, we just have to get games into him.

I just don't feel that Toyd is a lock for round 1 yet, still think Tom Campbell (has 2 injury free nab cup games) will be breathing down his neck particularly to combat the natanui/lycett combo come round 1. Adding Campbell to Toyd/Redpath/Stringer (Big red being the only tall forward lock along with Stringer) I feel would be too big. If big tommy has a couple of good games He'd be close to round 1 selection, we just have to get games into him.

West coast is the one team i'd be comfortable going in with Toyd and Campbell.

Assuming no injuries, sub off the tall having the least impact at half time/ half way through the third quarter.

If there is injuries, so be it, we may be able to stretch an opposition for once.

That's true, when we play Port again I can see someone like Toby Pinwill targeting our kids since it's what he does and he never gets called out on it.
How about a few of us get down there then and have a crack at him ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back