2016 Brisbane Lions starting line up

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need a Tom Lynch Adelaide style forward desperately. Who can do that for us?
While obviously not a like for like, it appears Tom Bell is going to play forward. He has the mobility and endurance to play a lead up role.

I have 25 players that I have rated as top 22 and have reluctantly omitted Beams C.,Robertson and Cutler from Round One.

Harwood Merrett Gardiner

Mayes Clarke Andrews

Robinson Beams D. Paperone

Rich Walker Hanley

Zorko Schache Chistensen

Martin Rockliff Bastinac

INT. Taylor Bell Green McStay

Depth in order of age (Senior team ready).

West
Bewick
Beams C.
Lester
Freeman
Close
Cutler
Robertson
Dawson
McGrath

The Young Brigade.

Jansen
McGuiness
Clayton
Watts
Mathieson
Keays
Skinner
Hipwood

Beasley and Evans can step up from Rookie list if required.

I am looking forward to see who REALLY steps up this year.

Any love for Close as a round 1 start?

Personally I'm on his bandwagon but think he will need to add another string to his bow to make it. Perhaps a forward/ruck backing up Martin long term?

Personally I'm on his bandwagon but think he will need to add another string to his bow to make it. Perhaps a forward/ruck backing up Martin long term?
I'm definitely a fan but post knee reconstruction he will probably need some time in the 2's

Harwood Merrett Andrews
C.Beams Clarke Mayes
Rich D.Beams Hanley
Bell Walker Zorko
Bundy Freeman Schache

FOLL: Martin Rocky Robbo

BENCH: McStay Robertson Taylor Bastinac

EMG: Cutler Paparone Close

He's put on some bulk that he needed to compete better, he likes the ruck work, has a great engine and work ethic but need to be convinced he can take enough grabs under pressure.

He's put on some bulk that he needed to compete better, he likes the ruck work, has a great engine and work ethic but need to be convinced he can take enough grabs under pressure.
True. As a forward/ruck it might take the pressure off to be a top line forward and more of a contest-maker which could help him. The club might view Skinner as the long term option in that role though.

A little bit of a cross promotion, yeah we are all dong it... :p

Please feel free to link your starting line up HERE - 2016 QUIZ - plus there are a whole swag of additional bragging right questions to further promote your crystal balling ability!

Hi Lion-folk; just wondering how Josh Walker has been tracking?
Traditionally he's been an excellent trainer; has a big tank ... do you reckon he will crack it for a key forward position come round 1?

Hi Lion-folk; just wondering how Josh Walker has been tracking?
Traditionally he's been an excellent trainer; has a big tank ... do you reckon he will crack it for a key forward position come round 1?

I think most of us expect him to get a run in round 1. He's a more mature body than our other forward options and with the ability to relieve for short periods in the ruck, he fits a need in our side.

I think most of us expect him to get a run in round 1. He's a more mature body than our other forward options and with the ability to relieve for short periods in the ruck, he fits a need in our side.

I rated him at Geelong, just didn't get enough sustained exposure in the senior side to ever really establish himself - he's shown flashes of good form, and was consistently a cut above VFL level - I'm guessing that, if given a good run, he should become a consistent and reliable player by year's end ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am concerned that in the backline the main contenders dont offer enough run or good enough disposal. I would be tempted to put Hanley off a HBF to provide that. It would be nice to have a Michael Johnson type who can play tall but still hit at high 80's efficiency. Cutler has to come into calcs for that role as does Harzy but he needs to hit more targets.

I am concerned that in the backline the main contenders dont offer enough run or good enough disposal. I would be tempted to put Hanley off a HBF to provide that. It would be nice to have a Michael Johnson type who can play tall but still hit at high 80's efficiency. Cutler has to come into calcs for that role as does Harzy but he needs to hit more targets.
Understand your concern and this is why I think they are playing Mayes back there and Rich the last few years.

Understand your concern and this is why I think they are playing Mayes back there and Rich the last few years.
Mayes may be an answer but I dont like Rich back there, he gets shown up in the air and while he kicks nicely over long distance he misses too many short targets for a guy of his talent. We have (hopefully) plugged a few gaps and addressed a few issues this year in our recruitment/drafting but next year I expect them to be looking at outside run and good disposal. If you look at the last Hawthorn side at hbf and wing they had guys like Hill, Smith, Birchall, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge all good users of the ball and bringing another quality be it speed or just smarts.

I expect to see Merrett, Clarke, Andrews and Paparone there but that is super tall and none of them are particularly good with ball in hand.

Mayes may be an answer but I dont like Rich back there, he gets shown up in the air and while he kicks nicely over long distance he misses too many short targets for a guy of his talent. We have (hopefully) plugged a few gaps and addressed a few issues this year in our recruitment/drafting but next year I expect them to be looking at outside run and good disposal. If you look at the last Hawthorn side at hbf and wing they had guys like Hill, Smith, Birchall, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge all good users of the ball and bringing another quality be it speed or just smarts.

I expect to see Merrett, Clarke, Andrews and Paparone there but that is super tall and none of them are particularly good with ball in hand.
I think Paparone does a lot better than some give credit for. If he has some space he generally hits targets in a good position up the field. His main problem is when he is under contact he just loses all thoughts and just handballs or kicks it randomly out of a congested situation. I think Andrews and Paparone with time can be somewhat effective as they can kick the ball quite well. They will never be the 70m players like a Hanley is but I'd think they are better than most tall defenders in the comp.

I think their main problem is that they are bit too slow with ball in hand, which should improve over time.

I think Paparone does a lot better than some give credit for. If he has some space he generally hits targets in a good position up the field. His main problem is when he is under contact he just loses all thoughts and just handballs or kicks it randomly out of a congested situation. I think Andrews and Paparone with time can be somewhat effective as they can kick the ball quite well. They will never be the 70m players like a Hanley is but I'd think they are better than most tall defenders in the comp.

I reckon this is spot on.

To me, it looks as though both Andrews and Paps have absorbed coaching on structure and kicking technique. When they have a bit of time to tihnk through it, they're able to pick decent options and deliver reasonably well. In Paps especially, it seemed to me that his kicks had flattened out substantially from 2014 to 2015.

Maybe it'll take a few years and more experience to become natural, but at some stage I'd be hopeful that both could execute the same skills under greater pressure.

I think their main problem is that they are bit too slow with ball in hand, which should improve over time.
Good points. I am a big fan of Paparone and some dont give enough credit for some of the defensive gut running he does. Decision making under pressure is certainly an issue with Andrews but he improved through the year and I hope and think this aspect will continue to improve with him.

I am not disagreeing about them being good talls, just for structure it would be easy for a team to go small and mismatch us with that much height down back especially if we put a 6 3er like Cutler down there too. Having said that I would like to see a Mackie type in there and he is about that size. I wonder if McGrath might be an answer. To be honest I am just glad it looks like we have options at both ends.

To be honest I am just glad it looks like we have options at both ends.
Definitely have options but there's also a lot of uncertainty, particularly in those medium-small roles at either end of the ground. I reckon there are about 8 or 9 spots up for grabs in total across the ground, despite the midfield being fairly well settled.

I think Mayes is a good example of that uncertainty. Most fans would have him as a best 22 player but as a defender? Is he that much more impressive in the role than a CBeams, Harwood, Cutler or Dawson that you can lock him into a spot as a running defender for round 1?

And what impact does McStay playing defence have on selection? Is he automatic best 22? On talent, he certainly is. But does he get a tall(er) defensive spot over the likes of Andrews, Clarke or Merrett? I would say not, although he's arguably a better offensive option than those three. If he's not a tall defender, can he play as a fourth tall? Are we too tall down back then? What does it mean for Gardiner? Can Paparone still play in a backline with 4 taller types?

We are finding out more of Leppa's plans as the off season wears on but there are a lot of unanswered questions. I think we are a fair way off knowing what our best 22 is.

We certainly have more candidates for our best 22 than I can recall for some time. Got to be a good sign.

Yeah, it's an interesting double-edged sword.

On the one hand, an unsettled best 22 suggests we have quite a lot of promising depth. On the other hand, it means that we don't have all that many bankable players. I weight the depth a bit more heavily that I might've otherwise after our recent injury woes, but it'll be interesting to compare the 22 at the end of the year to see if it looks much more settled.

Good points. I am a big fan of Paparone and some dont give enough credit for some of the defensive gut running he does. Decision making under pressure is certainly an issue with Andrews but he improved through the year and I hope and think this aspect will continue to improve with him.

I am not disagreeing about them being good talls, just for structure it would be easy for a team to go small and mismatch us with that much height down back especially if we put a 6 3er like Cutler down there too. Having said that I would like to see a Mackie type in there and he is about that size. I wonder if McGrath might be an answer. To be honest I am just glad it looks like we have options at both ends.
Definitely have options but there's also a lot of uncertainty, particularly in those medium-small roles at either end of the ground. I reckon there are about 8 or 9 spots up for grabs in total across the ground, despite the midfield being fairly well settled.

I think Mayes is a good example of that uncertainty. Most fans would have him as a best 22 player but as a defender? Is he that much more impressive in the role than a CBeams, Harwood, Cutler or Dawson that you can lock him into a spot as a running defender for round 1?

And what impact does McStay playing defence have on selection? Is he automatic best 22? On talent, he certainly is. But does he get a tall(er) defensive spot over the likes of Andrews, Clarke or Merrett? I would say not, although he's arguably a better offensive option than those three. If he's not a tall defender, can he play as a fourth tall? Are we too tall down back then? What does it mean for Gardiner? Can Paparone still play in a backline with 4 taller types?

We are finding out more of Leppa's plans as the off season wears on but there are a lot of unanswered questions. I think we are a fair way off knowing what our best 22 is.
great points. re our defensive structure going forward, not necessarily next year. i see you needing 4 types of defenders in todays style of game.

type 1. key position defenders (take the opposition big boys) daniel merrett, justin clarke. jackson paine??
type 2. floating intercept defenders (can play on all types at a pinch) marco paparone, harris andrews.
type 3. small defenders (play well on the betts/ballantyne types) ryan harwood, clay beams. jaden mcgrath-maybe forward?
type 4. play on most smalls and talls (joel patfull style) liam dawson, dan mcstay, tom cutler, darcy gardner. hugh beasley?
ideally you would like all of these players to have efficient disposal, ie. minimal turnovers. with some to provide run out of defence which i think we have/or potential to provide that run in paparone, harwood, beams, dawson and cutler. for 2016 i'm hoping our back 6 ends up something like this.

marco paparone. daniel merrett. ryan harwood.
harris andrews. justin clarke. tom cutler.

NEAFL back 6. if form warrants it can be elevated.
darcy gardner. jackson paine. clay beams/ruben william.
liam dawson/hugh beasley. eric hipwood/sam skinner. dan mcstay.

we will have to wait to see where players like eric hipwood, sam skinner and ruben william end up.

McStay is an interesting one, where does he fit in? He is in my best 22 but I see him as more a fourth tall in attack where he could really stretch defences to try and mark him up (it's been a long time since we said we could do that). I know he has been training with the defenders but when we have Gardiner and Beasely as pure defenders I see more value for McStay up forward. Some have Freeman and Schache in the same side but I think they are going for the same position, so Schache/freeman, Walker as a leading forward and Close to cover the ground at CHF, McStay adds some x factor with his marking ability.

Mayes is another good example, I thought he was pretty poor last year, but Beams and Harwood both coming off long injury breaks Mayes should get a crack. But he doesnt run as hard as Harwood and doesnt have the kicking penetration of Beams. In the long term (if they can get their bodies right) I would have both Harwood and Beams down there, I like my defenders to be angry :). This would push Mayes to a wing or HFF but then who goes out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back