2016 Brisbane Lions starting line up

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more interested to see whether the 80 interchange cap means more positional integrity in the game and a return to one-on-one contests. I still don't see it as a severe enough cut but it will be interesting if the game becomes watchable again for more than just parochial reasons. Predicting a best starting line-up is difficult when it's not until competition actually starts that we will have an understanding of what type of team we should be trying to build.

I'm more interested to see whether the 80 interchange cap means more positional integrity in the game and a return to one-on-one contests. I still don't see it as a severe enough cut but it will be interesting if the game becomes watchable again for more than just parochial reasons. Predicting a best starting line-up is difficult when it's not until competition actually starts that we will have an understanding of what type of team we should be trying to build.

Probably another topic but I reckon the interchange restrictions is going to be really interesting. Here is what I'd like to see happen as a result:

1. Obviously less congestion around the football at stoppages.

2. More "one on one" footy with players expected to defend their man and not just run to the pre-designated space.

3. More space for forwards to lead into inside forward 50. This will not only help the forwards kick more bags but will also put a premium on the ability to hit a leading target rather than just bombing the ball to a pack.

4. Fewer third or fourth man up forward marking contests as players can't flood back as hard.

5. Fewer players around the footy meaning less camouflage for the type of blocking and scragging that ruins contests

I probably agree that the rule change is not drastic enough to cause these improvements but hopefully it is a move in the right direction.

Probably another topic but I reckon the interchange restrictions is going to be really interesting. Here is what I'd like to see happen as a result:

1. Obviously less congestion around the football at stoppages.

2. More "one on one" footy with players expected to defend their man and not just run to the pre-designated space.

3. More space for forwards to lead into inside forward 50. This will not only help the forwards kick more bags but will also put a premium on the ability to hit a leading target rather than just bombing the ball to a pack.

4. Fewer third or fourth man up forward marking contests as players can't flood back as hard.

5. Fewer players around the footy meaning less camouflage for the type of blocking and scragging that ruins contests

I probably agree that the rule change is not drastic enough to cause these improvements but hopefully it is a move in the right direction.
Nice..... so what about the zone out of defence. This is a area I'm particularly interested in as I think we could see more coast to coast goals

gday guys and girls, just wondering how old mate Ryan Bastinac is travelling heading into 2016?
Will he start round 1 barring injury? cheers

gday guys and girls, just wondering how old mate Ryan Bastinac is travelling heading into 2016?
Will he start round 1 barring injury? cheers

Should do, at least Id hope we pursued him as a starting 22. I think all our recruits, bar Jansen possibly, will start Round 1.

I think most of us expect him to get a run in round 1. He's a more mature body than our other forward options and with the ability to relieve for short periods in the ruck, he fits a need in our side.

So Walker Freeman and Schache?

I am concerned that in the backline the main contenders dont offer enough run or good enough disposal. I would be tempted to put Hanley off a HBF to provide that. It would be nice to have a Michael Johnson type who can play tall but still hit at high 80's efficiency. Cutler has to come into calcs for that role as does Harzy but he needs to hit more targets.
I am concerned that in the backline the main contenders dont offer enough run or good enough disposal. I would be tempted to put Hanley off a HBF to provide that. It would be nice to have a Michael Johnson type who can play tall but still hit at high 80's efficiency. Cutler has to come into s for that role as does Harzy but he needs to hit more targets.
If we don't put runners who can carry the ball and dispose of it well the back six is going to be under extreme pressure as we saw last year... It got quite ugly when we couldn't find an avenue out.

My best 22 for round 1 taking into account players with limited preseason is looking like this at the moment.
B: Dawson Merrett Andrews
HB:Mayes McStay Harwood
C: Hanley Robinson Bell
HF:Zorko Walker Rich
F: Schache Freeman Taylor
Foll:Martin Beams Rockliff
Int: Bastinac Christenson Keayes Paparone
Emerg: Cutler Clarke Jansen
*if Gardner was available and 100% fit he'd be in.

I have 25 players that I have rated as top 22 and have reluctantly omitted Beams C.,Robertson and Cutler from Round One.

Harwood Merrett Gardiner

Mayes Clarke Andrews

Robinson Beams D. Paperone

Rich Walker Hanley

Zorko Schache Chistensen

Martin Rockliff Bastinac

INT. Taylor Bell Green McStay

Depth in order of age (Senior team ready).

West
Bewick
Beams C.
Lester
Freeman
Close
Cutler
Robertson
Dawson
McGrath

The Young Brigade.

Jansen
McGuiness
Clayton
Watts
Mathieson
Keays
Skinner
Hipwood

Beasley and Evans can step up from Rookie list if required.

I am looking forward to see who REALLY steps up this year.

That's very impressive depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Rd 1 side...
FB: Mayes, Merrett, Cutler
HB: Rich, Clarke, Hanley
C: Bell, Keays, Bastinac
HF: Taylor, Walker, Robinson
FF: Zorko, Freeman, Schache
Foll: Martin, Beams, Rockliff
Int: Paparone, Andrews, Christensen, McStay

Emergency: Jansen, Mathieson, West?

Rich, Cutler, Hanley and Mayes in the back 6. Wow.

Wonder how Westy is going? I've always liked him.

Would like to see Zorko closer to goal this year.

My Rd 1 side...
FB: Mayes, Merrett, Cutler
HB: Rich, Clarke, Hanley
C: Bell, Keays, Bastinac
HF: Taylor, Walker, Robinson
FF: Zorko, Freeman, Schache
Foll: Martin, Beams, Rockliff
Int: Paparone, Andrews, Christensen, McStay

Emergency: Jansen, Mathieson, West?

Rich, Cutler, Hanley and Mayes in the back 6. Wow.

Wonder how Westy is going? I've always liked him.

Would like to see Zorko closer to goal this year.

Taylor Walker at half forward? Love it!

What are people's opinion on Ryan Harwood?

Is he a proven performer or are there issues in his game that he needs to address before solidifying a best 22 position?

I think he is a reasonable user of the ball, his run and grunt are fantastic. Can he perform the small defender lock-down role and effectively hurt opposition on the rebound?

Is he a proven performer or are there issues in his game that he needs to address before solidifying a best 22 position?

I think he is a reasonable user of the ball, his run and grunt are fantastic. Can he perform the small defender lock-down role and effectively hurt opposition on the rebound?
I think he is in the best 25 personally. He has been around the system along time now, and really needs to cement his spot. Guys like Cutler, McGrath, C Beams and Dawson will be competing hard for his spot though.

have him in my best 22, love his run and intensity at the contest on the ground and in the air, with a good run re. injury he would be a lock for me in the back 6 small role. i have noticed at the training sessions i have been to that he has bulked up a fair bit.

what ever happened to Harwood the inside mid a few years back? He looked really good at ressies level but for some reason has been turned into a defender. Still think he should be playing midfield minutes.

Can't say definitively but think his fitness and attitude held him back during the Vossy years. Now, the line has gotten longer for a position which he's shown very little whilst there's a definitive need for someone who can tackle hard, shut down and small forward and drive the ball from defense. Based on what he's shown at senior level he's a defender. If he works hard he could be a good one.

what ever happened to Harwood the inside mid a few years back? He looked really good at ressies level but for some reason has been turned into a defender. Still think he should be playing midfield minutes.
He was also drafted as a gun inside mid at U18 level. Certainly has the potential

Based on training, injuries and intraclub matches..

McStay. Merrett. Andrews.
Mayes. Clarke. Cutler.

Hanley. DBeams. Rich.
Martin. Bastinac. Rockcliff.

Bell. Schache. Christensen.
Zorko. Walker. Freeman.

Paparone.
Robinson.
Taylor.
Robertson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back