News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Really interesting that we now have a dedicated captain for the reserves. Last year we'd rotate Tyrone Downie, Keegan Brooksby, and sometimes Mitch Hallahan in the role. With J. Daniels, we now have a dedicated and consistent source of leadership in the team, at the expense of leadership experience for the listed players.

This makes me wonder who the old NEAFL captains were. I'd imagine Josh Fraser was the captain in 2012, and Marc Lock was the captain in 2011, but I have no clue who did most of the captaincy from 2012-2014.

Last edited:

Really interesting that we now have a dedicated captain for the reserves. Last year we'd rotate Tyrone Downie, Keegan Brooksby, and sometimes Mitch Hallahan in the role. With J. Daniels, we now have a dedicated and consistent source of leadership in the team, at the expense of leadership experience for the listed players.

I don't think he will be playing as he is not on the list.

I don't think he will be playing as he is not on the list.
Neither were any of the other top up players used in the past.
NEAFL team usually contains 12 to 18 listed players any week - rest are academy and top ups . Given a fitter group - there will be more listed players - but never a full team of them.

Neither were any of the other top up players used in the past.
NEAFL team usually contains 12 to 18 listed players any week - rest are academy and top ups . Given a fitter group - there will be more listed players - but never a full team of them.

That implies he would be on a NEAFL list (e.g Southport) and then used as a top-up player. My recollection is that the top-players are either academy players or assigned youngsters from NEAFL clubs.

I think Daniels has been employed as a coach only and is not eligible to play in the reserves.

However I leave my"get out of jail card" in my pocket just in case I am wrong!

I remember Josh Fraser only coached the NEAFL side after his return to the club as a coach.

That implies he would be on a NEAFL list (e.g Southport) and then used as a top-up player. My recollection is that the top-aplayers are either academy players or assigned youngsters from NEAFL clubs.

I think Daniels has been employed as a coach only and is not eligible to play in the reserves.

However I leave my"get out of jail card" in my pocket just in case I am wrong!

I remember Josh Fraser only coached the NEAFL side after his return to the club as a coach.
Not sure - but I think they have changed things to allow employed coaches and development officers to play as top ups.
Matty Lappin played last year.....he was on a QAFL list not a NEAFL one.

Not sure - but I think they have changed things to allow employed coaches and development officers to play as top ups.
Matty Lappin played last year.....he was on a QAFL list not a NEAFL one.

You could be on the money. I will wait and watch with interest.

Think it's about time we changed our coaching set up.
I believe Eade wanted another year with his line coaches and most if not all were contracted for 2016 any how's.

Think we really need to invest or whatever they call it in another development coach.
A coach for the 18-20 yr olds. A people person.
We got to start getting these 18-20 yr olds to be playing a high standerds of football otherwise there AFL careers will be short lived.
Rockets a hard man. So hence saying we need a people's coach.

Not sure if clubs have done anything like this before. But why not raid the best Development coach in the TAC who has years of working with 16-18yr olds turning them into future champions?
Is there any stand outs?

Surely with Smith performing better Geelong
Nicholls under performing and still jumping early by about 2sec surely Primus time is up.

Also think Solomans time us up as Midfield coach.. Under performed. Has no prior experience before he joined us in 2011

Questions? Thoughts?

I believe Eade wanted another year with his line coaches and most if not all were contracted for 2016 any how's.

Think we really need to invest or whatever they call it in another development coach.
We got to start getting these 18-20 yr olds to be playing a high standerds of football otherwise there AFL careers will be short lived.

Not sure if clubs have done anything like this before. But why not raid the best Development coach in the TAC who has years of working with 16-18yr olds turning them into future champions?
Is there any stand outs?

Nicholls under performing and still jumping early by about 2sec surely Primus time is up.

Also think Solomans time us up as Midfield coach.. Under performed. Has no prior experience before he joined us in 2011

Questions? Thoughts?

I hear Mark Neeld is a good people person :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any stand outs?

I get what you're saying, but I dont think a development coach purely for the kids is the way to go. Our problem, IMO, is that our standards are not high enough, and when these kids come through we take it easy on them and assume they will improve over time. Look at Hawthorn, the Bulldogs,etc. The standards of skill-level is ridiculous. The guys not in those team know that they wont get a look in until their skills are good enough, so they push themselves to get them up to scratch. And then you look at our team and we've got guys who can't kick at all getting gifted games with no pressure, even though our game plan is set up for elite kicking and movement. We need to put more emphasis on having elite skills as we have so many poor kicks that the good-average kicks are made to look good, and the standard drops accordingly.If we do this, and kids are coming into an environment where they need to be able to use the ball well they will be much better off because it will become ingrained into them that the standards are high and if you can't use it well there are others on the list who can and will take your spot. And its not overly difficult to turn things around in a short time. Look at Lynchy. The last few years he hasn't been overly accurate in front of goal, but this year, with a bit of confidence, and I assume coaching or some magic s**** he is shooting lights out. But obviously the coaching staff need to lead the way here and not accept the low standards, which I assume Rocket doesn't, but he needs to get it into the heads of the players.

In saying that, we made some changes to our developmental coaches in the past off-season with Rooke,Aaron Rogers and Daniel being appointed, so maybe give them a bit of time first.I also assume/think that this is what role we were planning on putting Malceski into next year when his coaching stuff starts. But I don't know if thats still a good idea with his rapid decline in kicking a drop-punt.

Yes. Surely. Look at our list of rucks and none of them jump out as filling their potential with us. Fraser, Hickey, Smith, Nicholls. The last 3 were all highly touted at one point or another, but none have gone on with it really (Hickey at St. Kilda I guess, but thats not thanks to Primus). And our midfield isn't much better. Surely it is time for a change there.

Again, potentially. He has been alright but not overly great. Also, I thought he used to be the defensive coach for some reason?
I honestly think Andy Lovell should have been our midfield coach. Is a smart man, and actually played midfield throughout his career, which I always think makes some sense for a coach to have experience in the position they are coaching.

Anyway. Rant over. Been thinking about this for a while about possible changes to the coaching staff and improving the team. But Im not on the inside so have no idea whats going on behind closed doors.

Yes please!! Can't believe he is still not an assistant coach somewhere yet. Even with his personality quirks, the guys has a football brain.

Is there any stand outs?

Questions? Thoughts?
Copy what Clarkson did bringing on gun assistants like Bevo and Bolton, where did he source those guys and how certainly worked well

Wholesale changes are required at the Suns football Department.
Every Suns fan I talk to is aware of this.
But it won't happen because the board is P1$$ weak.

Wow I'm impressed by that point of view. So refreshing given the usual tripe the media put out. That's a man who understands business and footy. Will make a fantastic coach or administrator.
It's a nice article but not sure how I feel about it coming from a Carlton man when their most recent quick-fix seems to have actually worked wonders

I guess it's generally good advice that is ill-timed..

Don't you start this.

I'd have Mark Thompson as a head of football or along those lines..
Has premierships in his blood.. Turned Geelong from basket case to powerhouse.

He had some help from Brian Cook, Frank Costa and Stephen Wells. He did not impress in his year coaching Essendon and I think you guys could do better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back