2016 fixture wishlist

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Suns at Metricon on a Saturday night would be an ideal way to start the season. Neither QLD team fan base has travelled much for the other team's home QClash (awful name- would prefer the Pineapple Grapple). I think this would change with it being round 1 and having the chance to spend the day at the beach then watch some footy.
Then round 2 will probably be Easter Thursday. I wouldn't mind the Bulldogs for that game. A fair few people will remember the round 23 win and know how excitingly the Dogs play. Would be a cracking way to start the season IMO.

On radio this afternoon Caro was saying that she had heard our first game will be in WA and our second will be against another top 4/8 side. Not great news if true (obviously unconfirmed this stage) - would have been nice to start the season with a few wins for a change.
Caro is Caro, but it doesn't make any sense for the AFL to give the Lions a death sentence that early in the season.

The best possible outcome for the Lions would be round 1 vs. St Kilda/Melbourne/Essendon in Melbourne and round 2 vs. Carlton or Essendon at home. Two relatively achievable wins early in the season is perfect.

Lions opened at the Gabba in round 1 this year, so the Suns will open @ Metricon in round 1 next year. Unless it was Suns vs. Lions @ the Gabba, which would be an amazing opening round game.

If shes right then it will be West Coast round 1

Unless I am missing something the last time we played WC away was 2012 and we lost by 98, so we are probably due. However we have played Freo away every year since 2010 so hopefully we will get only one trip out there, and done Round 1. Could be worse. Home game against Freo sounds pretty liekly then?

Wait really? what the heck? Dont teams who finish bottom 2 get really cushy starts to the season?

2014 - Start with the Hawks :$

It's all rumors but yeah, would want to start off with someone easier. Perhaps..Essendon at the Gabba?

Or do they need to be played in Melbourne to maximise crowds?

Perhaps it's the VFL and Eddie trying to keep Northern States down again.

Sounds like North at the Gabba round 2. I heard Caro said we start with 2 top 4 teams so given we play the Eagles round 1 ut means Docjers will play at home round 2. Uts also likely that Hawthorn play Geelong in round 1 which will be a Geelong home game and the AFL like to give everyone a home game in the first 2 weeks so Hawks will have a home game round 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On radio this afternoon Caro was saying that she had heard our first game will be in WA and our second will be against another top 4/8 side. Not great news if true (obviously unconfirmed this stage) - would have been nice to start the season with a few wins for a change.
Geez I hope we don't get North in Rd 2. Everybody knows they'll have a point to prove after not showing up in Rd 1!

What the *?! Are we not supposed to have an easy draw due to finishing 2nd last?

Geez, if it is West Coast round 1 that's like Hawthorn in Tasmanina back in 2014. We've had Melbourne in round 1 2012 coming off a 4 win season so obviously the AFL are trying to set up the stronger teams early. Not to say we can't win but everything would need to go right.

Sounds like North at the Gabba round 2. I heard Caro said we start with 2 top 4 teams so given we play the Eagles round 1 ut means Docjers will play at home round 2. Uts also likely that Hawthorn play Geelong in round 1 which will be a Geelong home game and the AFL like to give everyone a home game in the first 2 weeks so Hawks will have a home game round 2.
If this is true the boys will play Reddo in round 1 and Bastinac will play his old side in Round 2.

Wouldn't mind it being true (r.e. WCE Rd 1 away) provided we don't get sent to Perth twice.

Tbh if flights/hotels etc. aren't too expensive I'll probably make the trip over for it

Wouldn't mind it being true (r.e. WCE Rd 1 away) provided we don't get sent to Perth twice.

Tbh if flights/hotels etc. aren't too expensive I'll probably make the trip over for it
You'll be taking out a mortgage just to live in perth for a couple of days! ;)

Uneven fixturing such as playing 2nd against 17th is terrible for round one. Uneven matchups produce horrible games that no-one wants to watch, which is not the best way to start a season.
I've been saying for over 10 years that the previous season's ladder should be divide into halves and for the first 9 rounds (or 7 when I first thought it) the bottom half, play the other bottom half teams and likewise for the top half. It produces a more even contest for the start of the season, which does 2 things;
  1. Provides a better spectacle for viewers as well as more specifically, supporters of each team when each team has a better chance of winning rather than 18th v 1st.
  2. With better odds of winning and more even competition, you get almost halfway through the season with more teams closer on points. Lower teams have better confidence and the competition as a whole is closer, with less chance for teams' seasons to be over already.
Playing West Coast away, first up is a bit s**t. So far, the rumoured matchups are 6 finalists, playing 6 non-finalists, with 3 of each yet to be to be matched up. What a farcical start if the remaining 6 teams are similarly matched. Surely it is in everybody's interest to have round one as evenly matched as possible, for the excitement factor and TV revenue alone.
Apparently WC v Haw is likely to be scheduled for rnd 2. Must be something about that weekend that suits channel 7 and or the AFL. So glad we get to be the warm up game for West Coast the week before.:rolleyes::thumbsdown:

#equalisation

I remember when this season's fixture came out and Gil stated that round one was as even as possible to ensure interesting games.

I can't see how they'd do the exact opposite next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back