No Oppo Supporters 2016 General AFL Discussion Part 2 (Sydney Posters Only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
excuse-making enabling supporters.

A disease that has infected many well-meaning supporters. ;) I for one am glad that we have you to point out our delusions - and I do mean that sincerely.

If you go through my post history you'll see I have not exactly been shy in presenting my thoughts about everyone involved with that disgusting club, including the drug cheating players, incompetent administrators, and excuse-making enabling supporters.
I understand the depth of your antipathy towards Essendon FC and its supporters. I just don't see it the same way as you and therefore I can't condone the level of hatred and vitriol directed at them. Not all Essendon players were on the injecting programme, and I don't believe that the players who did inject saw it as cheating. Naive and trusting and stupid - yes. Yes the whole administration and staff made inept and incompetent decisions throughout the injecting saga but the Essendon supporters are simply doing what all AFL supporters would do if they were in the same position. I want our team to beat Essendon...but I don't need to hate them. Hatred cures nothing.....just causes bitterness and ulcers.

I've heard from some family members who I believe seem more frustrated with the club as opposed to Hird himself.

I believe he apologised for the program but didn't accept the version of his involvment the media, ASADA, club, AFL etc wanted him to accept.

Without re-hashing a long ago debate, yes he was head coach & responsible but I believe was naive to the illegalities until it was too late. His response to fight I can appreciate. He doesn't believe he did anything personally illegal, but rather, he was mislead.

While there are obviously so many layers to the situation, everyone involved has some level of responsibility & guilt. Being naive can't be (& isn't) an exemption from punishment if wrongdoing is proven.

Whatever your opinion of him, I'd urge you to try to put yourself in his shoes & empathise with his current situation. He's a human who needs some support right now which I hope he & his support network (family, friends etc) get.
Evans did the right thing and resigned. Other people with a greater or smaller level of accountability (including Thompson FFS) hung on and tried to ride it out. The players had every right to expect that their club accepted and stood by their duty of care. They didn't.
Naive might be a reason but it isn't an excuse. Accountability comes with the salary.

Naive might be a reason but it isn't an excuse. Accountability comes with the salary.
Naivety as a reason forms an excuse.

I.e. you choose that reason/situation/factor as the excuse.

I don't believe they are mutially exclusive.

You may disagree it's a valid excuse but it can still be an excuse none-the-less.

But yes, as I mentioned in my previous post, I agree that Accountability comes with the job. Hird, as head coach, is charged with that ultimate responsibility along with the board. Just like any other officeholder/director etc, the buck stops with them. That's why they get paid the big bucks in the first place.

Evans did the right thing and resigned. Other people with a greater or smaller level of accountability (including Thompson FFS) hung on and tried to ride it out. The players had every right to expect that their club accepted and stood by their duty of care. They didn't.
The Essendon players were naive in believing that the Club would look out for their best health interests. They trusted the coaching staff and Medical staff to make the right calls. Junior players looked to senior players to lead the way. It is a typical recipe that almost all other Clubs and personnel would have followed. Not anymore. And for that, every other Club can actually thank Essendon for taking the hit. Is naivity an excuse? We make it so for our kids and others for whom we have regard when they stuff up because of a lack of worldliness. Less so for everyone else and that duplicity is perhaps worthy of another discussion. Naivity is all about innocence and blind faith and an unquestioning disposition. It is very sad but very understandable that it no longer applies in an AFL environment.

The game where Goodesy kicked 8 goals is on Fox Footy right now.

Is that the game in '08 where pav had a chance to seal it and choked? Think I was there that night, it was a smallish crowd I remember (people staying home to watch the Olympics?) but they came to life in the last few minutes.

Is that the game in '08 where pav had a chance to seal it and choked? Think I was there that night, it was a smallish crowd I remember (people staying home to watch the Olympics?) but they came to life in the last few minutes.
Preety sure that was it. Goodsey working out of the pocket with a bung groin. That guy was just a freak in any part of the ground.

It was the game where Goodes played a significant portion of the game at FF with Chris Mayne as his direct opponent.

I was shocked then and I'm no less shocked now.
I've never been shocked by Goodesy.

Amazed, but never shocked. The man could do what others dared to dream they could.

No DRex love after his retirement this week?
That alone should make him Clubman of the Year

Career highlight:

Very fun when it happened at the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recall what happened. Care to fill me in?

It's a gif so you should be able to see it.

50 metre goal off two steps vs Essendon from CHF.

That looked suspiciously like 3 solid steps. If it was in the grand final he might have been done for running too far

'Travelling! Free kick Bulldogs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back