Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Which 5 players will form our Leadership Group?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues to announce captain, leadership group next month

CARLTON is set to confirm its captain and the makeup of its 2016 leadership group in the middle of February, assistant coach John Barker says.

The Blues have their family day scheduled for February 7 at Ikon Park and Barker indicated in an interview with SEN on Wednesday the club hoped to make a decision around that time.

Blues to announce captain, leadership group next month

Not sure they'll do it, but I reckon it would be a great idea to announce the leadership group on family day.

Could bring a few more through the Ikon Park gates.

Don't think there is any harm in having Cripps in the leadership group. He's clearly leadership material and it could be good for his development.

But I really, really hope he's not anywhere near the captaincy anytime soon. He's had one good season and is only 20. Making him captain now would only put too much pressure on him.

I find the whole leadership debate interesting because we as supporters really have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. And don't know what the players are really like. Murphy could be a much stronger personality than what many on here presume. Think it always hard as well when your taking over from someone like Chris Judd who was clearly a revered figure amongst the group and the greater club alike.

A lot of it boils down to who makes players better by being around them, both on the track and on the field. It can be leading by example or inspiring better efforts through word and mentoring.

Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty, Cripps, Simpson.

Has to be a mixture of present and future surely for a rebuild?

Murphy (C)
Simpson (VC)
Gibbs
Daisy
Docherty

Bolton's talked about leadership density a fair bit, so I don't think we'll be relying solely on these five. The expectation will be that any player should feel comfortable speaking up if they see something that needs to be addressed - if Cripps notices an opposition player is loose at a stoppage, he's obligated to call someone in. If Weitering spots Jamison out of position down back, he's obligated to let him know.

The "Leadership Group" are a conduit between playing group and coaches, nothing more. They should be the players with exceptional game sense who can work with coaches to fine-tune the gameplan as the season progresses.

Murphy (Captain)
Gibbs (Vice-Captain)
Simpson (Vice-Captain)
Tuohy
Curnow

I'd basically stick with players that have been there for a while. What the club means to them might get through to the players a lot better? That is how I sort of see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with our team, but interesting that Bontempelli, who is younger than Cripps, has been inducted into his clubs leadership group.
If you've earned the respect and are ready for the role, then why not?
I still don't feel Cripps will be included this year but wouldn't be upset if he was.

We may just have our leadership group announced next week and I'd still be going for:

Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty, Tuohy and one of Simpson or Jamison............preferably Simpson though, if he wants it although who knows? Cripps?

Nothing to do with our team, but interesting that Bontempelli, who is younger than Cripps, has been inducted into his clubs leadership group.
I still don't feel Cripps will be included this year but wouldn't be upset if he was.

We may just have our leadership group announced next week and I'd still be going for:

Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty, Tuohy and one of Simpson or Jamison............preferably Simpson though, if he wants it although who knows? Cripps?

He does kinda shout 'leader' Crippa. If he's ready, no point holding him back.

Bolts did point to Cripps leading by example on the training track in his twitter answers. Named Doc and the established leaders as well.

I assume with Murphy sitting next to Bolton in the team photos, the captaincy has been decided. Of course it could be Gibbs, he's sitting on the coach's left.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who thinks Gibbs shouldn't be in the leadership group ??

My five would be

Murphy (C)
Tuohy (VC)
Docherty
Everitt (yes really)
Jamison

Dre has been sensational for us, hasn't put a foot wrong since being traded from Sydney, he has copped a few setbacks throughout his footy career, but I think his extrovert type of personality would be great for our young kids.

Am I the only one who thinks Gibbs shouldn't be in the leadership group ??

My five would be

Murphy (C)
Tuohy (VC)
Docherty
Everitt (yes really)
Jamison

Dre has been sensational for us, hasn't put a foot wrong since being traded from Sydney, he has copped a few setbacks throughout his footy career, but I think his extrovert type of personality would be great for our young kids.

Is Dre not the polar opposite of an extrovert?

Quiet, understated, workman-like. All terms that come to mind.

Vocal, outgoing, inspiring. Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an important player for us, but I just don't see him as anything remotely close to a leader.

Is Dre not the polar opposite of an extrovert?

Quiet, understated, workman-like. All terms that come to mind.

Vocal, outgoing, inspiring. Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an important player for us, but I just don't see him as anything remotely close to a leader.
I was gonna say that, but you got in first. So I quoted you instead and I'll add
This x 1000

EXACTLY.

Back