List Mgmt. 2016 National Draft - Rookie Draft Monday 28th

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that customary for academy players? Otherwise yeah dead giveaway
the other gws academy guys were there, but they went top 20 and got an official invite. there were 6 academy players who were drafted to different clubs to their academy club, the first couple being williams & watson (gc & bris).

they also had a 5th guernsey & polo for scheer too.

Josh Williams wasn't there. He was up in Cairns with his family. Could have his own reasons for that though, but seems weird Scheer was there and he wasn't.

But who are we kidding, we were always taking Scheer. Didn't Rocket or Clayton say in an interview that we would be taking the 3 top 10s, Bowes and Scheer, or something along those lines? Or it might have been 3 top 10s, and 2 academy players?

GCS have publicly committed on their website to pick up Schade, so that leaves 1 rookie spot available. I think GCS have picks 4 and 22 in the rookie draft. I have not seen anything publicly stating the GCS will definitely re-rookie Brooksby but I may be wrong. With this in mind and the fact there are probably 6 kids available (considered to have been certainties in the draft) I wonder if the GCS will pick up a "kid" at the expense of Brooksby?

we really did nail the draft hey.

ainsworth and brodie are best mates.
bowes and scheer are best mates. also from the suns academy, so no worries over homesickness.
all were involved in the afl academy, so all know each other well.
bowes and scrima also pretty good mates.
brodie idolised barlow as a kid. ainsworth idolised ablett as a kid (as did many others i'd imagine).
all draftees posted their delight of joining the suns on social media pretty much straight after the draft. all draftees seem pretty level headed kids, and looked pretty confident in the media interviews. spoke really well.

in terms of the cohesion and the links between all the players, i'm pretty stoked. bring on monday! GCFC Digital lots of video/pics of the new blokes, i daresay we might have a few members who want a new avatar. :cool:

GCS have publicly committed on their website to pick up Schade, so that leaves 1 rookie spot available. I think GCS have picks 4 and 22 in the rookie draft. I have not seen anything publicly stating the GCS will definitely re-rookie Brooksby but I may be wrong. With this in mind and the fact there are probably 6 kids available (considered to have been certainties in the draft) I wonder if the GCS will pick up a "kid" at the expense of Brooksby?

Brooksby , Schade and Loersch still training with Suns , its bizarre , can only think club has asked them with promise with something in future .

Brooksby , Schade and Loersch still training with Suns , its bizarre , can only think club has asked them with promise with something in future .
Wasn't there some talk of signing permanent NEAFL players to the club so we wouldn't have to keep rotating through younger no-name players each week? Maybe they're going to be playing solely for the NEAFL team this year rather than as a rookie? Well, Brooksby and Loersch anyway.

Pretty confused on this one! Am I correct in saying our senior and rookie list is 44? Club has committed to Schade who is contracted for 2017 so that leaves 1 spot. Logically that means there cannot be any guarantees to Brooksby to rookie him as they also have Loersch training (did not know this). So the last rookie spot goes to either Brooksby, Loersch or a kid who missed the draft on Friday. GCS have picks 4 & 22 so if they want a "kid" he would go 4 in rookie and Schade 22. Otherwise Schade 4 and Brooksby or Loersch at 22. It's doing my head in!

Love a forward version of Adam Saad in the rookie draft - is Zac Saad worth a look, Liam Ryan from WA is a speedster and high flyer

A guy I really liked at the All-Star game and was surprised he wasn't taken in the 2nd or 3rd rd was this kid Bailey Morrish. was controlling the backline in the All-Star game, was top 10 in all the speed, jumping and agility tests at the Combine - think Sean Lemmens except is a great intercept mark, fast and looks like he could hit the side of a barn with his kicks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top10-results-from-2016-nab-afl-draft-combine

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/player/bailey-morrish/

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-01-18/draft-prospect-bailey-morrish

Love a forward version of Adam Saad in the rookie draft - is Zac Saad worth a look, Liam Ryan from WA is a speedster and high flyer

A guy I really liked at the All-Star game and was surprised he wasn't taken in the 2nd or 3rd rd was this kid Bailey Morrish. was controlling the backline in the All-Star game, was top 10 in all the speed, jumping and agility tests at the Combine - think Sean Lemmens except is a great intercept mark, fast and looks like he could hit the side of a barn with his kicks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-09/top10-results-from-2016-nab-afl-draft-combine

https://afl*******************/player/bailey-morrish/

What are your thoughts of GCS opting for a new rookie for the last spot?

What are your thoughts of GCS opting for a new rookie for the last spot?

If Brooksby and Loersch are going to stay anyway and play you might as well have a crack at a new kid. Especially with Clayton not having a pick outside the top 10 I'm sure he would have an absolute special that he rated somewhere in the 20-30 range on his big board that he can't believe is still there and would love to take.

Pretty confused on this one! Am I correct in saying our senior and rookie list is 44? Club has committed to Schade who is contracted for 2017 so that leaves 1 spot. Logically that means there cannot be any guarantees to Brooksby to rookie him as they also have Loersch training (did not know this). So the last rookie spot goes to either Brooksby, Loersch or a kid who missed the draft on Friday. GCS have picks 4 & 22 so if they want a "kid" he would go 4 in rookie and Schade 22. Otherwise Schade 4 and Brooksby or Loersch at 22. It's doing my head in!
I think we would have just kept Loersch on the rookie list if we really want him.

https://afl*******************/player/bailey-morrish/

So nothing like Sean Lemmens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So nothing like Sean Lemmens.

Correct - he looks good.

I still can't work out 1) how he got drafted at #26 and 2) how he got a 2 year extension when your not in best 22 is beyond me

Right up there with the decisions to give Matera and Shaw 2 year extensions before Rocket had even got his feet under the desk

I think I heard that all 4 of our top draftees are managed by Paul Connors. Certainly makes him the most important player manager at the Suns now as he also manages Lynch and Hanley.

May be a policy that we don't draft or trade for any players managed by Colin Young

Iva Bigun

I know you have been leading the hate bandwagon from day 1, from when we traded for Melbournes pick this year.

Have you come round to it a bit more after the draft?
Fantastic result from this draft, I am super excited but I am still not a fan of trading picks, 3 and 10 for 6 and 8 ( could of easily been 9 or 10) is not great thinking IMO

Think people will be happy with this article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/9786ee2f22739b51ab6f6760820c1e88

Gold Coast set to offer its draftees contract extensions beyond mandatory two-year deals
9786ee2f22739b51ab6f6760820c1e88

ANDREW HAMILTON, The Courier-Mail
an hour ago
Subscriber only

WELCOME to the Gold Coast, or perhaps welcome home is more accurate.

The Suns have gone the extra yard to make their three new Victorian draftees, Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw and Will Brodie feel at home on the Coast.

The 2016 intake, which also includes Suns academy graduates Jack Bowes and Brad Scheer will all be offered contract extensions beyond the mandatory two-year draftee deal as soon as they have settled in and have already received an indication from their managers the players are open to the idea.

“I think there will be some great news in regards to extended contracts for all of them,” list manager Scott Clayton said.

“They’re all very, very keen and happy to come and they want to take on ownership of our football club.”

c81d5515823cffa9da6b670ebff00604

Jack Bowes, Will Brodie, Jack Scrimshaw, Brad Scheer, and Ben Ainsworth were drafted by the Suns on Friday night. Picture: Adam Head
The trio received VIP treatment when they arrived on the Coast on Sunday night.

The Suns had arranged some staffers to collect the players from the airport and deliver them to their hosts Tom Lynch, David Swallow and Touk Miller.

But the three senior Suns torpedoed the plans and went to the airport to greet their newest teammates in person.

From there, the draftees were whisked off for a photo shoot at Currumbin beach where one of the Suns’ most attractive assets, the coastal lifestyle their players enjoy, was spread out before them.

ANALYSIS: GARY BUCKENARA RATES YOUR CLUB’S DRAFT PICKS

For best mates Brodie and Ainsworth, being drafted together was the icing on the cake.

“Speculations do get the best of us at times, and it has always been a dream of ours to play together,’’ Ainsworth said.

“I think we do play our best football when we play together.’’

Brodie also happily revealed the pair had spent hours talking about one day playing alongside each other at AFL level.

“We have thought about it, talked about it and dreamt about it and for it to come true, we are very lucky,’’ Brodie said.

ac8ed15c338f21292d46243314173f45

Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade with Ben Ainsworth after the Suns selected him with pick No.4. Picture: Jonathan Ng
Scrimshaw said he began to consider the possibility he would be bound for the Coast as he watched them amass four top-10 picks during the trade period.

He said he was won over by the pre-draft presentation made by the recruitment team lead by Clayton.

“It is obviously a great place to live, but when the club came to our house they told us all about the club and sold it in the best way possible and it really worked for me and my family,’ he said.

“I thought it would be a good fit if I was to move there and I’m absolutely ecstatic to be joining them and can’t wait for some success moving forward.’’

I'm glad May didn't offer to host any of the kids after getting engaged today - the kid would have felt like an awkward 3rd wheel

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/9786ee2f22739b51ab6f6760820c1e88

Gold Coast set to offer its draftees contract extensions beyond mandatory two-year deals

an hour ago
Subscriber only

The Suns have gone the extra yard to make their three new Victorian draftees, Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw and Will Brodie feel at home on the Coast.

The 2016 intake, which also includes Suns academy graduates Jack Bowes and Brad Scheer will all be offered contract extensions beyond the mandatory two-year draftee deal as soon as they have settled in and have already received an indication from their managers the players are open to the idea.

“I think there will be some great news in regards to extended contracts for all of them,” list manager Scott Clayton said.

“They’re all very, very keen and happy to come and they want to take on ownership of our football club.”

Jack Bowes, Will Brodie, Jack Scrimshaw, Brad Scheer, and Ben Ainsworth were drafted by the Suns on Friday night. Picture: Adam Head

The Suns had arranged some staffers to collect the players from the airport and deliver them to their hosts Tom Lynch, David Swallow and Touk Miller.

But the three senior Suns torpedoed the plans and went to the airport to greet their newest teammates in person.

From there, the draftees were whisked off for a photo shoot at Currumbin beach where one of the Suns’ most attractive assets, the coastal lifestyle their players enjoy, was spread out before them.

For best mates Brodie and Ainsworth, being drafted together was the icing on the cake.

“Speculations do get the best of us at times, and it has always been a dream of ours to play together,’’ Ainsworth said.

Brodie also happily revealed the pair had spent hours talking about one day playing alongside each other at AFL level.

“We have thought about it, talked about it and dreamt about it and for it to come true, we are very lucky,’’ Brodie said.

Gold Coast coach Rodney Eade with Ben Ainsworth after the Suns selected him with pick No.4. Picture: Jonathan Ng
Scrimshaw said he began to consider the possibility he would be bound for the Coast as he watched them amass four top-10 picks during the trade period.

He said he was won over by the pre-draft presentation made by the recruitment team lead by Clayton.

“It is obviously a great place to live, but when the club came to our house they told us all about the club and sold it in the best way possible and it really worked for me and my family,’ he said.

“I thought it would be a good fit if I was to move there and I’m absolutely ecstatic to be joining them and can’t wait for some success moving forward.’’

I'm glad May didn't offer to host any of the kids after getting engaged today - the kid would have felt like an awkward 3rd wheel

May got engaged?
Hopefully she ain't like Gazzas mrs :D

There are our three leader there (plus May) They would have had to agreed to this and it shows Swallow's commitment to the club.

Thats it. Lock em down while they are still young and innocent. ;) Seriously though, this is great news. Sounds like a great group of guys who seem to bring out the best in each other both in training and just in general. Good to see 3 of the younger leaders take them in as well. Couldn't have picked 3 more professional guys on our list who all love the club and can brainwash them into doing the same.

I feel sorry for whoever got paired with Touk. Imagine 3rd wheeling in the Touk-2MP household. :D

an hour ago
Subscriber only

funny-gif-Ron-Swanson-cat.gif

All 5 new draftees will be offered 4 year deals

For Connors to consider a 4 year deal the money on that 3rd & 4th year would have to be enticing - purely speculating but it would have to be around $400k a year for the 3rd and 4th years.

Knowing how driven the kids we got in are I'm sure the club isn't worried that by getting the guaranteed deal the kids are going to rest on their laurels.

The benefit of getting the guaranteed deal on good money is that they could take that contract to the bank in 6 months (after saving a modest deposit) and go and buy a decent house ($800k).

Considering 2MP is probably playing his 3rd year on around $400k and will need closer to double that for his 4th year it could be a wise investment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back