State of Origin 2016 SoO Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm looking forward to the inconsistent bunker denying a team down the track for that reason. Mind blown over that. Shoulder to shoulder with the closest playing going for the ball. argghhh

I honestly wasn't fussed who won this series, but IMO it continues to highlight exactly why people are turning off. I thought the reffing right through the series was poor and the NRL didn't change a thing.

I'm watching less and less games each week in part because it's becoming a bit stale and because of too many inconsistent rulings in games. I don't want a rule in a normal game to be changed because it's Origin, I want them to be consistent in every game. Surely it can't be that hard.

Im not sure I have seen that before in rugby league. Might be wrong, but I normally grumble at the t.v when I see blokes jabbering on and jostling durning presentations, let alone walking off with their back to the opposition captain.
Actually the sole reason I opened this thread was to comment on the total lack of respect shown by the NSW boys. Would love for the media to comment on it but just can't see it happening, just a different culture in league. The commentary team haven't even brought it up post-match, so obviously not an issue in their eyes.

I honestly wasn't fussed who won this series, but IMO it continues to highlight exactly why people are turning off. I thought the reffing right through the series was poor and the NRL didn't change a thing.

I'm watching less and less games each week in part because it's becoming a bit stale and because of too many inconsistent rulings in games. I don't want a rule in a normal game to be changed because it's Origin, I want them to be consistent in every game. Surely it can't be that hard.

The arrogance from Sutton talking to Smith was shocking as well. A really poor match despite the thrilling ending.

On the bright side any offside player in an NRL game within 10m of the ball when a try is scored and being a passive player will not be penalised for being inside the 10m zone.
Yea Just a crazy decision. Not only was the reasoning completely wrong Jennings wasn't even passive ffs.

Until the Queensland legends retire our dominance will continue IMO. By 2019 NSW will probably have turned the tables since our depth probably isn't as good as NSW's depth.
This NSW squad is a solid bunch but it is nothing special, rather uninspiring to be honest. It really is a matter of waiting for Queensland to be weakened by retirements, rather than NSW becoming stronger.

This NSW squad is a solid bunch but it is nothing special, rather uninspiring to be honest. It really is a matter of waiting for Queensland to be weakened by retirements, rather than NSW becoming stronger.
It's been like that for a while tbf. Every year you see NSW chop and change the team (especially the halves) while QLD keep pretty much the same squad. NSW's failures the last decade is because of 1) QLD'S complete dominace because of the quality of players we have had at our disposal in important positions (Smith, JT, Cronk (Locky before him), Inglis, Scott, Thaiday, Parker etc etc etc) and 2) NSW's inability to keep a side together.

Congratulations to QLD for winning the series too much class and talent in key positions - smith / cronk / thurston / boyd.

I thought boyd really stood up this year its going to be hard to drop him for slater.

Massive wraps for nsw though, we looked like we were allergic to winning after boyd scored his try, credit to qld some cracking defence ot keep them in it and get ahead, but fair dinkum just pure NSW spirit and mick jennings wonder feet to win the match. QLD couldn't do much more considering they didn't have the same incentive, it just shows the heart of those south of the border even when completely out matched we can still find a way to win. (obviously, when referring to those south of the border and heart it does not include inglis even though he is from south of the border, he has been all talent and heart arguable his whole career).

The fifita try. The offside rule about a passive player is correct.

Was jennings passive, it is a judgement call, just because you are running at the ball doesn't matter you can be 50 meters away and running at the ball imo it comes down to whether you have a play at the ball or a man playing at the ball. Jennings didn't do that, if anything it was oneills fault for going for a player instead of the ball, sort of like obstruction they are not going to call an obstruction if an attacking player runs through a gap and a defender changes his direction to make contact with a decoy instead of staying live in the defensive line.

Either way QLD were still good enough to get in front, but like I said NSW spirit bought us home. I thought moylan really grew into the number 6 role which is good, now we just need to find a 7 and a 9.

The arrogance from Sutton talking to Smith was shocking as well. A really poor match despite the thrilling ending.
in every rugby league match if you give up three penalties on your try line your getting a talking too. most defending teams like it, gives the line a chance for a breather and re group.

funniest utterances during origin were "come on! this is origin!" insinuating to let the rougher stuff go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

were the refs a big factor? obs after game 1 daley referred to them somewhat. do you RL followers feel they have some inherent bias because of where they're born/bred?

Nah, I don't think it's an inherent bias.

To watch the NRL week to week is to know that they're just incompetent, and that the bunker is an expensive failure that has done nothing to improve consistency or accuracy in decision making.

As I think AuckMel said last night, it's becoming the primary turn off for rugby league. I've gone from watching 3-4 NRL games a week to watching 1-2, and my frustration with refereeing is the primary reason. It shouldn't be as hard as they make it. There is some interpretation involved, like with passive offside, or whether a player played at the ball - but it's comparatively black and white compared to AFL, and of a much, much lower standard.

Inglis has copped 4 weeks for bracing himself and Dugan has a broken jaw and won't return until round 23
He'll serve 3 weeks.

Unfortunate. Definitely wasn't one of the worst hits you'll see that's for sure but he got Dugan in a bad place obviously. He barely got airborne and it really didn't look that bad but like I said, Inglis got him in a bad spot and broke his jaw.

If Dugan doesn't break his jaw GI probably gets off or 1 week at worst.

Knowing Dugan and NSW he probably has a minor niggle in his pinky toe and is milking it to make it look like it was a penalty still. Softest player out, worse than Matai

You must be one of those people that thinks you're smarter than all the scientists and medical professionals in the world, given the post above yours told you that he's broken his jaw (and needs surgery.)

Yeah, must've faked it :rolleyes:

Obviously as a Raiders fan, I'm not a fan of Josh Dugan the person - but to ignore a serious injury so you can get your cheap shot in is childish and pathetic.

Game 3 is a waste of time. What's the point if a team has won it 2-0.

Still great finish. Well done NSW last minute.

However the reffing was an absolute disgrace, NSW got the biggest piggy back.

As for the NSW players walking away with their backs to Cameron Smith and talking while he was congratulating them...thought that was absolute s**t form.

Still no one has taken up the challenge of pointing out a single penalty that NSW were given that was wrong (even while relying on 9s farcical commentary team.)

In any case, who gives a s**t if NSW did get the better of the refereeing? The Blues have been screwed over that many times during live series' that surely a Maroons fan would take that and just say "that's fine, we'll take the referees dragging us over the line in matches that matter."

Free kicks (in AFL) and penalties (in rugby league) are the stupidest stats in their respective games. They don't mean anything - they just give ignorant "fans" and people who didn't actually watch the game something to bitch about.

Last edited:
NSW deserved to win and I only complained about 1 call so not sure why it's still being discussed. NSW smashed QLD last night and deserved their win.

He'll serve 3 weeks.

Unfortunate. Definitely wasn't one of the worst hits you'll see that's for sure but he got Dugan in a bad place obviously. He barely got airborne and it really didn't look that bad but like I said, Inglis got him in a bad spot and broke his jaw.

If Dugan doesn't break his jaw GI probably gets off or 1 week at worst.
Yet it shouldn't have been a penalty. Good one.

hey wheres the presentation of the shield thing?

In another addition to the "**** off channel 9" column, they've already cut the coverage.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR SHITTY FOOTY SHOW ANY MORE! :mad::mad::mad:

Channel 9 in Melbourne, go to the footy show, not the QLD presentation.

They have treated the viewers like s**t for 20 years,why would they change now.

Pretty s**t that after Nine cut if off (for previously recorded programming) I fired up a pirate stream from the UK that showed all the post-game presentation stuff for 20+ minutes.

If the NRL have any intention of national popularity they need to mandate this s**t in the TV contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back