2017/18 offseason - player & coaching movement and other discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a line in an article by Daniel Cherny on The Age online tonight that caught my eye...

"That comes after women's football operations manager Meg Hutchins was moved against her will to a new role in the club's football department."

Club B&F gone, 2nd in Club B&F just about gone, and the above... what's going on?

Don't know. Asking that myself.

Stevens pretty much Saying Carlton Women's Club is Miles better then Collingwood

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nic...y/news-story/ecced4e666602d29edbfe1b70c0d36cd

Nah, she's very much framing the switch as a personal development thing, and she's very careful not to have a go at the Club. Even reading between the lines, she isn't implying that Carlton is better than Collingwood.

However, it might be said in this case that actions speak louder than words. She's given up an extra $5,000 per year to go to Carlton, and to leave the club where she was the inaugural B&F. On any reading, that's extremely disappointing.

Nah, she's very much framing the switch as a personal development thing, and she's very careful not to have a go at the Club. Even reading between the lines, she isn't implying that Carlton is better than Collingwood.

However, it might be said in this case that actions speak louder than words. She's given up an extra $5,000 per year to go to Carlton, and to leave the club where she was the inaugural B&F. On any reading, that's extremely disappointing.

Very much share your concerns. I'm back to doubting how much real effort the club put in to developing this team in its inaugural year, including the selection of coaches and related staff. Saying that, this tumultuous trade period still has a way to play out, and its October or November (?) before the girls start training again as a team. We also have the draft later in the year (I think) and we could very well bring in additional people to bolster our coaching. So not despairing yet, but definitely concerned.

I've read in two different newscorp publications that they expect Hope to take a pay reduction, but I'm yet to hear anything outside of that. Further if Hope was to take a wage hit I'd prefer/expect that we invested the dollars saved in luring a player from another club. Therefore I'm not quite sold on Stevens accepting less money at Carlton as it solely assumes she was getting a pay rise at Collingwood; by that article Carlton aren't giving her any less than what we paid her in 2017.

Ultimately she's gone to Carlton to play under a coach she knows, play with her mates and play midfield. Given Stevens has been thinking things over since the end of the season it's obvious Carlton made an offer quite some time ago.

With women's footy being a relatively small industry with much cross over between state level and AFLW personnel unfortunately the one year initial contract wasn't enough to overcome prior relationships.

I'd expect less short stints at clubs once women's footy grows to a full time profession with greater separation from state footy and more players recruited out of the junior system. The latter is significant as most of the players are equivalent to mature age selections with years and many hours together at local clubs. It's difficult to overcome that mateship especially with players returning to that environment after the AFLW season ends.

Last edited:
Given the development at girls' level really just starting to begin now (TAC Cup Girls' and other state leagues beginning to flourish), much like we saw in the first AFLW season, the top players are well ahead of the rest. In time, it will even out, but to have the top handful of pics is really useful, because your top five are likely well ahead of everything else. In the draft we have Vic picks 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11 and if we can get GWS' pick one, then we'll have 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12 and reloading with three of the four best Victorians in the draft is really good because IMO you're more likely to hold onto the younger kids because you can develop them and build new repore with them and not have the existing links with past coaches like we've seen with Stevens and the Blues.

Very much share your concerns. I'm back to doubting how much real effort the club put in to developing this team in its inaugural year, including the selection of coaches and related staff. Saying that, this tumultuous trade period still has a way to play out, and its October or November (?) before the girls start training again as a team. We also have the draft later in the year (I think) and we could very well bring in additional people to bolster our coaching. So not despairing yet, but definitely concerned.
In my negative times it almost seems like we expected to simply recruit mature leaders and everything including immediate success would fall into place. Much like the netball squad. The positive to the departure/s is that it will force us to employee a proper longer term strategy much like Melbourne did this year.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-05-22/pies-jump-at-volleyball-star

Collingwood players re-committing to the club for the 2018 season include 2017 captain Steph Chiocci and Rising Star nominee Brittany Bonnici as part of the full list below.

- Amelia Barden
- Brittany Bonnici
- Jessica Duffin (Cameron)
- Sophie Casey
- Stephanie Chiocci
- Sarah D'Arcy
- Jasmine Garner
- Emma Grant
- Emma King
- Melissa Kuys
- Stacey Livingstone
- Cecillia McIntosh
- Tara Morgan
- Ruby Schleicher
- Bree White

The AFLW signing and trading period will run until Friday 26 May and the club will announce further signings in the coming days.

Collingwood players re-committing to the club for the 2018 season include 2017 captain Steph Chiocci and Rising Star nominee Brittany Bonnici as part of the full list below.

- Amelia Barden
- Brittany Bonnici
- Sophie Casey
- Stephanie Chiocci
- Sarah D'Arcy
- Jasmine Garner
- Emma Grant
- Emma King
- Melissa Kuys
- Stacey Livingstone
- Cecillia McIntosh
- Tara Morgan
- Ruby Schleicher
- Bree White

The AFLW signing and trading period will run until Friday 26 May and the club will announce further signings in the coming days.
So 7 spots available for 10 players (assuming we can re-sign Walker). Those yet to re-sign - Edwards, Eva, Cula-Reid, Bernardi, Tesoriero, Roden, Wotton, Hope, Hutchins and Walker.

- Amelia Barden
- Brittany Bonnici
- Sophie Casey
- Stephanie Chiocci
- Sarah D'Arcy
- Jasmine Garner
- Emma Grant
- Emma King
- Melissa Kuys
- Stacey Livingstone
- Cecillia McIntosh
- Tara Morgan
- Ruby Schleicher
- Bree White

Great to see D'Arcy re-sign....Was super impressive this season. Also Barden, Garner and Bonnici re-committing is great to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 7 spots available for 10 players (assuming we can re-sign Walker). Those yet to re-sign - Edwards, Eva, Cula-Reid, Bernardi, Tesoriero, Roden, Wotton, Hope, Hutchins and Walker.
We know Eva's gone, so that would leave 9 players for 7 spots. You would think, assuming we intend to resign our maximum (which is not guaranteed) that two of Cula-Reid, Roden and Wotten would be the unlucky ones.

Last edited:
We know Eva's gone, so that would leave 9 players for 7 spots. You would think, assuming we intend to resign our maximum (which is not guaranteed) that two of Cula-Reid, Rodman and Wotten would be the unlucky ones.

+ Caitlin Edwards is uncertain ...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-17/from-thornlie-to-collingwood

In the offseason, <Caitlin Edwards will> be heading back to WA to play rugby, before sitting down to decide whether she wants to pursue football in her home state, or come back to Melbourne to play more footy.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-17/from-thornlie-to-collingwood

"Christina Bernardi and Lauren Tesoriero have also recommitted to Collingwood this week, the club now has 17 players on its primary AFLW list and two rookies with the trade/sign period set to conclude this Friday"
I also liked Siekman's comments as it's good to see we've identified one of our key weaknesses.

Siekman said:
“Her attributes as an explosive player for the Australian hockey team adds great value to our team given that we identified speed and explosiveness and two key recruiting areas after season one.

Great article, in positive news she turned down an offer from her childhood team in Adelaide to sign with us

Parker is a mid/forward from the article Mkcaptain posted above

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back