List Mgmt. 2018 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

“My early thoughts are I’d rather have Wingard and Polec back”
Ah the days when I was emotionally attached to players leaving. Probably ended up changing my mind on this after Round 1 2019.

Rozee...meh.

Butters...as soon as Caldwell went, I guess he's okay as that outside mid to complement our inside mids.

Still need an explosive mid. It's back to RCD now...
I hate to pick on Janus- he was no Pat Malone. However, how wrong can you get? These two are currently the two most explosive midfielders in the AFL!

Now to admit my own failings-
Interesting. I would have gone Hately but Butters has exceptional vision and great delivery. We just have to teach him to find the ball more.
“I would have gone Hateley but…” are the 6 words I would most like to take back in 25 years of posting on fan forums.

I don’t know why I ever post in draft threads. I can pick talent- Buckley when I first saw him play thru to JHF at 16 yo when I went to watch someone else . But I clearly can’t rank them and no end of highlights or stats or even tapes of U18 games will fix that.

It’s fine when we are doing well. But when we are struggling the draft represents the hope for a better future and I get right into it. All without the tools for knowing what I’m posting about.

Every time Janus posts some know it all wall of text guff about how we will win the flag every year for the last 10 years the only reply needed is "Rozee... meh".

Every time Janus posts some know it all wall of text guff about how we will win the flag every year for the last 10 years the only reply needed is "Rozee... meh".

Fuming when we didnt select bailey smith and I know portia wasn't happy and wanted max king which would of been a fantastic pick tbh

I think most are happy enough with the first two picks it’s iust the last one that got the fire burning.
People have to remember these are just kids who at this age have reached a level that most of us could only dream about (getting on a AFL list).
Please at least wait till you see them on the training track before you make a opinion of them.
We might not all agree with who the club picked but we should all agree to give them what this country stands for and that’s a Fair Go.
See best to stfu when you don’t know shyt 😂😂

Bailey Smith completely torched us in the 2021 prelim. 23 disposals, 3 clearances and 4 goals. He was my guy at the time (massive flog but he can play).

P.S. I posted this after that initial post:

A9FEBAD6-446D-49F7-B11D-6794BFD9738C.jpeg
I even said Duursma could be elite at what he does. See, it wasn’t that I didn’t think those players could be elite - it was that I knew we needed an explosive Dangerfield/Martin/Bontempelli type that could exit through the front of the pack and create space for other mids to exploit. Because what we were doing was just replacing old parts for new and that was never going to work.

Guess what Horne-Francis is?

Bailey Smith completely torched us in the 2021 prelim. 23 disposals, 3 clearances and 4 goals. He was my guy at the time (massive flog but he can play).

P.S. I posted this after that initial post:

View attachment 1711831
I even said Duursma could be elite at what he does. See, it wasn’t that I didn’t think those players could be elite - it was that I knew we needed an explosive Dangerfield/Martin/Bontempelli type that could exit through the front of the pack and create space for other mids to exploit. Because what we were doing was just replacing old parts for new and that was never going to work.

Guess what Horne-Francis is?
Turns out Kenny was waiting for JHF before he could unleash total football. What a meticulous planner.

I don't follow the draft so I avoid making a fool of myself on draft night.

But to be honest, there's more than enough time in the years after the draft takes place to make yourself look stupid. Isn't that right Jonts? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is a timely reminder to never post.

I disagree. Post your heart out, then be gracious and self-deprecating when you’re wrong.

People love that s**t. It’s literally better than being right all the time.

Fuming when we didnt select bailey smith and I know portia wasn't happy and wanted max king which would of been a fantastic pick tbh
Portia knew less about football than ******* Janus. Atleast Janus tries to quasi pseudo statistica to justify his mad rantings. Portia had * idea about the game. The amount of people that lapped his/her poor football acumen was akin to Thundercloud's Hinkley adoration.

Portia knew less about football than ******* Janus. Atleast Janus tries to quasi pseudo statistica to justify his mad rantings. Portia had * idea about the game. The amount of people that lapped his/her poor football acumen was akin to Thundercloud's Hinkley adoration.
Getting called the same as thunderpants.. thems fighting words..

She probably knew more than me, so give them that.

Turns out Kenny was waiting for JHF before he could unleash total football. What a meticulous planner.
Actually Kenny thought that Powell-Pepper, who we drafted in 2016, would be that guy. As did I - this is what I said about Powell-Pepper early in 2019:

1686705009154.png

1686704800643.png

Now, obviously this didn't work out with Sam cause he doesn't have the x-factor necessary to play that role (too see ball, get ball which is why his current role suits him so well), but it's not like the club didn't know we needed the type of player that Horne-Francis is.

List management, like any kind of management, is fluid - you have a picture in your head as to the perfect players/employees you want for every position to execute your strategy, and then you go out and find the best possible players/employees to fill those holes.

For example, who here thinks that if we had managed to secure the FA signature of Merrett in 2021 like a lot of people wanted that both Rozee and Butters would have been given the chance to be starting mids in 2023? There would have been space for one of them playing a 70/30 mid-forward role like Gray, and the other would have still been playing a 70/30 forward-mid role like Wingard. And with at least one elite forward/mid, there would be no need for a guy like McEntee on the list - who remember was played as a midfielder for Sturt (so he has that scope).

It's no coincidence that we select McEntee at the mid-season draft in 2021 and then literally two weeks later, Merrett announces that he's re-signed with Essendon. And then Port starts talking up the idea of 'natural growth' with guys like Rozee and Butters.

It's no coincidence that we select McEntee at the mid-season draft in 2021 and then literally two weeks later, Merrett announces that he's re-signed with Essendon.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes. Yes it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back