List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The mid season draft is coming up and, sadly, with Mitch’s injury we have a spot.

How depth cupboard is bare. We have about 11 AFL ready players and more holes in our set up than Swiss cheese. Now is the time to find the missing piece. A player we can hang our collective hopes and dreams on. This player, this champion who we pick up in this mid season draft will be the one to take us to the promised land. Or he’ll clog our list like a bog after 10 too many Guinness and join McEntee and Teakle as players no one quite knows how they remain on the list and what they’re there for.

So a thread for all things Port’s mid season draft.

with MG out we could raid the SANFL / WAFL / VFL for a 196cm+ KPD (aged between 20 - 23)
We've already got a high quantity of KPDs, but we need quality. We won't get quality via the state league.

Unless we find someone who can have an impact at AFL level (at a high level) in an area we need, which is extremely unlikely.

Let’s find the best available mid to prop up the SANFL side, because at the moment we are ridiculously uncompetitive.

We have to get KPD 196cm and above! We have enough 191-193cm size defenders.
There wont be any good quality Rucks in the mid season draft.
7 clubs so far including ours have a spot available for the draft on 31st of May.
Jonas and McKenzie both have contracts ending this season with Jonas highly likely delisted. Therefore it does leave us room for another KPD.
Don't think the club will select Jed Hagan in the mid season draft after 11 rounds, reason being its a small sample size to give him the spot.

If McKenzie gets injured we are f**ked! The club has to pick a KPD that has the body to play straight away.
Pasini is still building form and is another 192cm defender
Kyle Marshall, Tom McCallum are not ready yet whilst Brynn Teakle is still learning his craft at the SANFL level

The best KPD we can find please. If we can’t find one, best small forward. Failing that, high production mid.

The best long term option out there is Sam Gilbey.

Good defensive skills Left foot athletic. Nice height around 190cm.

Decision making gets talked up and reasonable judges had him a 1st round pick before breaking his leg.

That said he's probably more of what we have plenty of but could be better than some.

We won't pick up a Ruck the only realistic options out there behind Sam Naismith would be light years behind Dante.

Ethan Phillips tall defender 196cms 94kg
Gets talked up as a late developer coming good. 23 yrs old
Noticed Harley Bennell is on Port Melbourne's list as well

Can't see a quality KPD or ruck being available.

Not much point getting another undersized young mid who missed out on all the drafts.

I would have a crack at a medium sized marking forward who is a bit older and physically mature. Someone with mobility and good hands who can unbalance a defence.

Lachlan Hosie is the type of player I'm thinking of, not sure if he is the actual player I would target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see a quality KPD or ruck being available.

Not much point getting another undersized young mid who missed out on all the drafts.

I would have a crack at a medium sized marking forward who is a bit older and physically mature. Someone with mobility and good hands who can unbalance a defence.

Lachlan Hosie is the type of player I'm thinking of, not sure if he is the actual player I would target.
We don't need a quality KPD or a quality ruck.

We just need a big lump of both who can run and compete.

We have a good enough midfield if a ruck can break even and a good enough CHB in Aliir that we just need a big negating FB.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unless we find someone who can have an impact at AFL level (at a high level) in an area we need, which is extremely unlikely.

Let’s find the best available mid to prop up the SANFL side, because at the moment we are ridiculously uncompetitive.
Any player we pick has to be what’s best for the AFL side not the snafl.

Any player we pick has to be what’s best for the AFL side not the snafl.
I agree.

All iv'e been saying is if there's no one suitable for what we need for our AFL side, id then be picking the best midfield option to top up the SANFL side (and provide some AFL depth - Rather than just passing) because getting smashed ever week doesn't help develop our young players and just saps their confidence generally. Who wants to roll out every week and get smashed.

What does a culture of losing convincing every week and not being competitive achieve ?

Not having a midfield in the SANFL also means there is no midfield depth for the AFL side if we need it.

I’d be looking for a ruck.

Lycett won’t get another contract and neither will Hayes if we aren’t going to play him. That leaves just Teakle and Visentini come year end.

Might as well have 6 months to get a look at someone and get them in the gym full time.

I hope we don't even take a pick. Our three previous MSD picks have been Sutcliffe, McEntee and Teakle; all three have done more harm than good by being on our list.

It's sad isn't it. It should be a decent opportunity to take a punt but Ken Hinkley won't be able to help to give a player an extended shot at it even if he's a spud

Whatever happened to Kade Dittmar? He was on train on lists for a couple of years and on the unlucky not to be drafted lists.

Is he playing WAFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back