Official Club Stuff 2018 Doig Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed in his speech he played tribute to all the captains of the team particularly the Pav but did not mention Fyfe at all. Wondering if he's had enough of being under his shadow all the time.

Great news, are you implying Eagles have put together good currency right now for him?
I gathered that his priority is to come back to WA, but he'd prefer to play for Freo (possibly because of the Wilson link). However the Eagles are a palatable alternative for him. But, since he's contracted, GWS hold the power though.

He is a champion player and bloke, all class
There seemed to be a fair

I might not boo him but I’ll never respect him like I respect Pav and Mundy, and other champs from other states who ‘stuck around’.
Yeah agreed plus he left as we were building something. It wasnt like the job was done like Buddy or ablett. Hes gone for money or he didnt rate us * him.

I noticed in his speech he played tribute to all the captains of the team particularly the Pav but did not mention Fyfe at all. Wondering if he's had enough of being under his shadow all the time.
I noticed that, Spurr did the same thing as well.
I think you guys are jumping at shadows. If you saw Fyfe, Mundy, Neale and Langdon interacting on stage after his speech you would be very confident there is no issue between Fyfe and Neale. Must admit Langdon was like the kid who is not quite sure if he is in the popular group or not though ;) They were also sitting at the same table at the Doig, on either side of Brayshaw, which probably also gives you an indication of how much we value Andrew as well.

I'm not saying Lachie has no issues with Freo (I think most people have some problems with various things at their workplaces) but I think this is mostly about our ability to give him the kind of contract that Brisbane is willing to. If the rumours it is close to $1m per season for 5 years I could see us questioning whether that's in our best interests given our need to recruit a gun key forward. No doubt we want to retain him but can also see him leaving being a win win in the long term.

i tell you what
he is no doubt a good bloke, and is a great footballer ,but if he leaves us , and we have come close to brisbane's offer money wise he's not getting any loving from me
as far as i'm concerned he can take his moneybags and piss off to brisbane,without my blessing at all
if he stays ,ill still be loving him as if this never happened

i tell you what
he is no doubt a good bloke, and is a great footballer ,but if he leaves us , and we have come close to brisbane's offer money wise he's not getting any loving from me
as far as i'm concerned he can take his moneybags and piss off to brisbane,without my blessing at all

That’s not the spirit Tex. He obviously has his reasons for leaving, why don’t you respect that?

My usual random observations from the club's night of nights:

-I do have to say that I had the very best seat and line of sight to the stage that I've ever had in 13 years of attendance. I cannot stress enough how much better the ballroom at the Convention Centre is than the one at Crown - the rectangular shape and bar area at the back makes it feel more open yet intimate, in comparison to the square shape where it can seem you're a mile away from anything!
-for all that, it had to be the most perfunctory and flat feeling at a Doig I've ever seen...I don't know whether it was the awkwardness of Lachie winning, the same faces at the top of the leaderboard making the same speeches, or a general lack of any spark or big news, but it did feel rather strange
-Maybe part of this was Ross being less teary and more laid back; his wife Kirsten seemed a bit more prominent this year, joining him in talking to guests for much of the evening
-Ebony Antonio definitely got the biggest cheer of the evening with her Wilson moment about hating the Eagles and never wanting to play for them!
-Speaking of the latter, I have to say that last night was the first time I truly saw how much of a Freo person Nathan Wilson is, with a broad smile chatting to all and sundry and even doing a rather hilarious lap of the room just as I was leaving in search of the fullest remaining bottle of wine!
-Brennan Cox winning the Beacon was a strange choice...not that he doesn't deserve it, but it just seemed like the club didn't want to bring the infamous Curse down on either Brayshaw or Cerra (both of whom cannot now ever win it). His speech succeeded Taberner's as the most inarticulate and mumbling one ever by a Beacon winner, although this was somewhat redeemed by Luke Ryan's reaction next to him!
-poor Olivia Spurr looked so uncomfortable standing there on stage during Lee's farewell. I did note with interest Fyfe's comment that the club is trying to involve the players' families more and this was clearly a nod towards this, but I have to say that if you're going to get Olivia or Dayna Johnson up there with their husbands at least give them something to say or do!
-we've had some great entertainment options over the years; whoever that was doing jazz during the main course and rock afterwards did his best was not amongst them
-Lachie was diplomatic as you could have expected him to be, and he seemed relaxed and convivial right up until he was announced as the winner - but his speech was as flat as a pancake, and nobody really cheered or clapped. As many have said, awkward, even if by some miracle he does end up staying.

-Lachie was diplomatic as you could have expected him to be, and he seemed relaxed and convivial right up until he was announced as the winner - but his speech was as flat as a pancake, and nobody really cheered or clapped. As many have said, awkward, even if by some miracle he does end up staying.
I agree with everything you said FFC4ME - and to add to your final point: it was very notable that nobody stood to applaud Neale when he won. Usually the winner will get a standing ovation upon being announced. Not so this time, only a respectful applause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i tell you what
Exactly how I feel

I hate all the blame projected at Lyon and Fyfe - it’s always all about the money

So you’re saying he’s jealous? Neale is a good player but he doesn’t come close to the man Fyfe is - on and off the field!

I reckon we ask about Hogan every year - like about this time a year ago Hogan and Fyfe were seen having a coffee together. Somewhere along the line in private negotiations we might have suggested Neale might be on the negotiating table as a trade possibility to get the deal done. Brisbane hear about it and decide to offer Neale a good deal this year.
You could well be right stax. At this stage it seems to me Melbourne need picks from Hogan to get May. We can get Hogan without Trading Neale. Not sure how we would trade for Lobb without picks from Brissie but we that's another story. I really think Brisbane will give us 4 & 22 and then who knows if more pick swaps after. Listening to their list manager it seems to me the stage in their list build has moved on from just drafting into trading for established players. Neale fits perfectly for them.
These are of course just my thoughts as Rosich won't answer my calls. "Pick up the bloody phone Steve, I have advice for you".;)

My usual random observations from the club's night of nights:

-I do have to say that I had the very best seat and line of sight to the stage that I've ever had in 13 years of attendance. I cannot stress enough how much better the ballroom at the Convention Centre is than the one at Crown - the rectangular shape and bar area at the back makes it feel more open yet intimate, in comparison to the square shape where it can seem you're a mile away from anything!
-for all that, it had to be the most perfunctory and flat feeling at a Doig I've ever seen...I don't know whether it was the awkwardness of Lachie winning, the same faces at the top of the leaderboard making the same speeches, or a general lack of any spark or big news, but it did feel rather strange
-Maybe part of this was Ross being less teary and more laid back; his wife Kirsten seemed a bit more prominent this year, joining him in talking to guests for much of the evening
-Ebony Antonio definitely got the biggest cheer of the evening with her Wilson moment about hating the Eagles and never wanting to play for them!
-Speaking of the latter, I have to say that last night was the first time I truly saw how much of a Freo person Nathan Wilson is, with a broad smile chatting to all and sundry and even doing a rather hilarious lap of the room just as I was leaving in search of the fullest remaining bottle of wine!
-Brennan Cox winning the Beacon was a strange choice...not that he doesn't deserve it, but it just seemed like the club didn't want to bring the infamous Curse down on either Brayshaw or Cerra (both of whom cannot now ever win it). His speech succeeded Taberner's as the most inarticulate and mumbling one ever by a Beacon winner, although this was somewhat redeemed by Luke Ryan's reaction next to him!
-poor Olivia Spurr looked so uncomfortable standing there on stage during Lee's farewell. I did note with interest Fyfe's comment that the club is trying to involve the players' families more and this was clearly a nod towards this, but I have to say that if you're going to get Olivia or Dayna Johnson up there with their husbands at least give them something to say or do!
-we've had some great entertainment options over the years; whoever that was doing jazz during the main course and rock afterwards did his best was not amongst them
Sort of sums up my mood as a supporter & my feelings towards neale. Very flat. Was a horrible end to a dissapointing season.

Didn't mention ex-captain Mundy either. Think he just couldn't name them all on the spot. Plus Fyfe & Mundy were up on stage with him and all getting on well. Speech was more about thanking some of the experienced players that helped him on his arrival to the club ie Pav, McPharlin.

Wouldn't read anything else into it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why, for making a better life for himself and his family?

He doesn't owe you or the club jack s**t. This is a professional business, pay for him or let him walk!
He doesn't want to honour the contract he signed. He probably owes the club that. Obviously he owes me jack s**t, not sure why you would even mention that. He's decided to leave for the big bucks. I don't have to respect that decision. He would be really useful at the club during the rebuild and playing for the 800k max he's worth.

He doesn't want to honour the contract he signed. He probably owes the club that. Obviously he owes me jack s**t, not sure why you would even mention that. He's decided to leave for the big bucks. I don't have to respect that decision. He would be really useful at the club during the rebuild and playing for the 800k max he's worth.

Your comment was deserving of it, that's why!

People dont just up and move across country if they are truly happy with the circumstances they are currently in. He has every right to go if he believes things arent going in the right direction for himself. The fact you believe it's all about the money shows your blind faith in the club!

He’s worth whatever the market will pay him.

People dont just up and move across country if they are truly happy with the circumstances they are currently in. He has every right to go if he believes things arent going in the right direction for himself. The fact you believe it's all about the money shows your blind faith in the club!
So as I said, same as Tippett.

Why can't it be about money? If it's close to the reported $1,000,000 a year for five then it's far above what his value is and he should make the most of that.

The difference between Lachie Neale and Josh Kelly isn't much, but it's enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back