Strategy 2020 Fixture News, Requests and Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Thought this thread should get kicked off.

Confirmed fixtures:
- Easter Thursday vs Brisbane @ Gabba (Thursday April 9, so round 3 one would think)
- ANZAC Day (H) vs Essendon @ MCG (Saturday April 25, so round 5 as per usual one would think)
- Queens Birthday (A) vs Melbourne @ MCG (Monday June 8, most likely round 11)*
*Queen's Birthday is to be alternate home games between the two clubs, correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't seem to actually find a source which confirms this.

The bye will come after the Queen's Birthday game again.

Think we can expect to get double-ups against Richmond and Essendon because they draw huge numbers every time. Furthermore, Carlton's expected improvement by many might see the AFL cash in on a double-up between the two great arch rivals after playing off only once in 2019.

^^ Having said that, the AFL would also be keen to see up go up against two trendy interstate teams whom the supporters are really getting around in Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney.

^^^ then there's West Coast and Geelong who we have built entertaining rivalries with. Our double-ups could go any way.

We always host our Marvel games against one interstate side and one Marvel tenant - I reckon an Adelaide who will be predicted to be very underwhelming in 2020 and good old St Kilda might be those match-ups for us.

We have a confirmed date at the Gabba early on, I can almost guarantee we'll be going back to the Gold Coast in 2020, and we're overdue an Adelaide Oval match-up against Port Adelaide.

Thought this thread should get kicked off.

Confirmed fixtures:
- Easter Thursday vs Brisbane @ Gabba (Thursday April 9, so round 3 one would think)
- ANZAC Day (H) vs Essendon @ MCG (Saturday April 25, so round 5 as per usual one would think)
- Queens Birthday (A) vs Melbourne @ MCG (Monday June 8, most likely round 11)*
*Queen's Birthday is to be alternate home games between the two clubs, correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't seem to actually find a source which confirms this.

The bye will come after the Queen's Birthday game again.

Think we can expect to get double-ups against Richmond and Essendon because they draw huge numbers every time. Furthermore, Carlton's expected improvement by many might see the AFL cash in on a double-up between the two great arch rivals after playing off only once in 2019.

^^ Having said that, the AFL would also be keen to see up go up against two trendy interstate teams whom the supporters are really getting around in Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney.

^^^ then there's West Coast and Geelong who we have built entertaining rivalries with. Our double-ups could go any way.

We always host our Marvel games against one interstate side and one Marvel tenant - I reckon an Adelaide who will be predicted to be very underwhelming in 2020 and good old St Kilda might be those match-ups for us.

We have a confirmed date at the Gabba early on, I can almost guarantee we'll be going back to the Gold Coast in 2020, and we're overdue an Adelaide Oval match-up against Port Adelaide.

I thought our double-ups would be within the 1-6 bracket since we finished 3rd this year.

1.Richmond
2.GWS
3. Us
4. Geelong
5. WCE
6. Lions

We will play ever other Club, once
We will play return games against Carlton and Essendon
We will play 3 games against random opponents
We will play 2 home games at Marvel
We will travel 5 times

We will play 2 home games at Marvel
One will be giving up home ground advantage to a Marvel tenant. Happens every year, so why would 2020 be different. Just a matter of which one of NM, StK or WB wins that lottery.

I thought our double-ups would be within the 1-6 bracket since we finished 3rd this year.

1.Richmond
2.GWS
3. Us
4. Geelong
5. WCE
6. Lions

Yeah, we have to get either 2 or 3 of these twice.

Plus either 1 or 2 from teams 7-12:

WB
Ess
Haw
Port
Adel
Nth

We can only play 1 (or 0) of teams 13-18.

Freo
StK
Syd
Carl
Melb
GC

My money is on Richmond, Brisbane, Carlton. Ess and ?.

We nearly always have an interstate team twice, and playing Brisbane in Round 3 gives plenty of scope for a return match at the G. We won't skip Carlton two years in a row, especially as they're looking to improve. Us v Richmond is as big a crowd drawer as possible nowadays, as is us v Ess so at least one if not both of those will happen. 5th team could be anyone except those 13-18th.

1.Richmond
2.GWS
3. Us
4. Geelong
5. WCE
6. Lions
We’ll get Richmond, Brisbane, West Coast, Essendon and Carlton twice if the ladder is any guide.

With so many interstate sides making up the top six you can lock in us and Richmond meeting one another twice. I also expect both of the previous two Grand Finals will be played twice. We get Brisbane early in the season so the timing is probably right for a repeat crack there.

In short I think the repeat match ups from that top six will be:

Rich v GWS
Rich v Coll
Rich v Geel
GWS v Bris
GWS v WCE
Geel v WCE
Coll v WCE
Coll v Bris

Each side gets the three repeat matches against top six sides except Geelong and Brisbane

Yeah, we have to get either 2 or 3 of these twice.

Plus either 1 or 2 from teams 7-12:

WB
Ess
Haw
Port
Adel
Nth

We can only play 1 (or 0) of teams 13-18.

Freo
StK
Syd
Carl
Melb
GC

My money is on Richmond, Brisbane, Carlton. Ess and ?.

We nearly always have an interstate team twice, and playing Brisbane in Round 3 gives plenty of scope for a return match at the G. We won't skip Carlton two years in a row, especially as they're looking to improve. Us v Richmond is as big a crowd drawer as possible nowadays, as is us v Ess so at least one if not both of those will happen. 5th team could be anyone except those 13-18th.
I'm fairly sure every team plays at least one bottom 6 team twice

I'm fairly sure every team plays at least one bottom 6 team twice
I think that was how it was initially drafted but then the AFL became all rubbery about it as they tend to do - as I vaguely remember them breaking their own guidelines to give us a * you one year.

With our third placing on the ladder I suspect we get all of Richmond, GWS, Geelong and Brisbane twice. I wouldn't be surprised if we also got WCE twice instead of Brisbane. We could double up on both, however, I suspect the AFL will play us off against Carlton a second time which they seem to like doing every second year or so.

As usual we will travel to each state at least once.

We will play Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

We will play Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

We will play GWS at Giants Stadium (as well as a home game at the MCG or maybe even at Marvel).

We will play Brisbane at the Gabba on "Easter Thursday" (again, as well as a home game at the MCG or maybe even at Marvel)

We will play GCS once, this time at Metricon. There's no way they will give us another Melbourne game against the Suns. I wouldn't be surprised if this was scheduled for the Victorian School Holidays.

Can typically lock us in for an Adelaide game at Adelaide Oval and also a Sydney game at the SCG, but perhaps this year we don't have to do both. Sydney are due to come to the MCG as mentioned.

I suspect the AFL will play Carlton against some of 2019's top sides (i.e. GWS) early in the season so they can catch them unprepared and snatch an otherwise unlikely win. The AFL will be desperate to shoot them up the ladder.

Our games, just about locked in:

Round 1 vs. Geelong. Friday 20/03/2020 ?
Round 5 vs. Brisbane. Thurs 16/04/2020
Round 6 vs. Essendon. Saturday 25/04/2020
Round 12* vs. Melbourne. Monday 08/06/2020 (* Round number depends on bye structure)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, the guidelines state the top 6 play the bottom 6 either 0 or 1 time only and vice versa.

https://www.afl.com.au/fixture/fixture-explained

Not aware of them ever breaking these rules since they were introduced, certainly not in Collingwood’s case.

Yep, and you can just about guarantee if we get a bottom 6 side it'll be 1 that under-performed relative to expectations in 2019 and that'll rebound back into contention pretty quickly like the Dees.

With our third placing on the ladder I suspect we get all of Richmond, GWS, Geelong and Brisbane twice. I wouldn't be surprised if we also got WCE twice instead of Brisbane. We could double up on both, however, I suspect the AFL will play us off against Carlton a second time which they seem to like doing every second year or so.

We can't get all 4 of Rich/GWS/Geelong/Bris, only 3 allowed. We've only missed playing Carlton twice 3 times in over 50 years so can't see it happening two years in a row.

Your travel schedule for Collingwood would see us miss Sydney in Sydney for the first time since 2002, which I hope is true but feels unlikely. As a pure guess I think we'll retain a Swans game at the SCG and skip GWS. Think we're almost certain to play Bris / Port / GC away and then flip a coin as to the Perth game. We've tended to rotate these but not always.

Last year we doubled up against . 3 top 6 sides 1 mid 6 and 1 bottom 6
Tigers
Eagles
Bombers
Melbourne
Dogs .

This year I reckon our double ups will be.
Top 6 sides.
Tigers
GWS
Lions
Mid 6 side
Bombers
Bottom 6 side
Blues.

The number of double ups we've had in recent times:

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. There's the obvious rivals in Carlton and Essendon that we get most years and the lack of ones against the expansion clubs and the rest are actually half decently distributed.

Big games that I would like to see for us.

Round 1 against West Coast at the MCG on Friday Night would draw 75k+ or the Dogs on the Friday Night at the MCG would get 70k easily and would be a blockbuster

Easter Thursday (which is confirmed I think?) against Brisbane at the Gabba.

Obviously Anzac Day but I would like it to be a night match, and then meet them at the end of the H&A season (round 22 or 23)

1 Friday and 1 Saturday Arvo for when we play Richmond twice, would draw big crowds.

Carlton twice, especially since they are on the rise.

Giants twice, one at Marvel and the other at Giants Stadium

Power at the Oval and Sydney at the MCG is much needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back