Injury 2021 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We were quite fortunate in 19 and 20 with injuries. It is no surprise that our luck has truly run out.

I believe that’s 4 best 22 out now, with some decent fringe players on the sidelines as well.

If we win it all this year, it didn’t come easy.

Just a coincidence that Selwyn Griffith departed to Melbourne last year has coincided with both teams injury/performance outcomes?

Nothing much can be done to prevent the impact injuries we've suffered this seson

ACL's, ankles, shoulders, stress fractures etc.

Medical gurus can only do so much.

Nothing much can be done to prevent the impact injuries we've suffered this seson

ACL's, ankles, shoulders, stress fractures etc.

Medical gurus can only do so much.
The only thing that can be done is to burn down Metricon.

You have to wonder with Adams particularly whether the surface had anything to do with it.

I don't like jumping to conclusions but there's 4 of our best players done on a ground we've played on twice ? this year.

3 times I think

You have to wonder with Adams particularly whether the surface had anything to do with it.

I don't like jumping to conclusions but there's 4 of our best players done on a ground we've played on twice ? this year.

You do have to wonder don't you?

The superstitious part of me wants to believe that there is a curse on our club there, from the old days when the owners of the Bears foolishly decided to make "Carrara" their home rather than base the club in Brisbane.

An idiotic and stupid decision that doomed the Bears to years of irrelevancy in the eyes of Brisbane based AFL fans

You have ready my mind! Rayner is extremely determined to come back fitter than ever! Would love for hippy to thicken up a little through the chest and legs. Not too much as his athleticism and pace are his biggest strength!
Bit hard to thicken up a leg that’s rehabbing from an acl.

He wont be able to d any contact stuff for a while but he can still do lots and lots of fitness stuff. Surely this time off will make his fitness go to another level?
And maybe Hippy can use this time to bulk up his legs
I have no idea about rehabbing from an acl, but it appears a lot of AFL fitness is based on a lot of running. Like lots and lots and lots of running.

My (no freakin medical basis whatsoever) guess is that Rayner will be modified loads right up until he gets the tick of approval to return to full training, which might be at the 10 month mark, so January.

Personally, I’m not counting on Rayner to be back to his 2021 preseason level, until 2023 preseason at the same time of his injury.

Probably something similar for Hippy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit hard to thicken up a leg that’s rehabbing from an acl.

I have no idea about rehabbing from an acl, but it appears a lot of AFL fitness is based on a lot of running. Like lots and lots and lots of running.

My (no freakin medical basis whatsoever) guess is that Rayner will be modified loads right up until he gets the tick of approval to return to full training, which might be at the 10 month mark, so January.

Personally, I’m not counting on Rayner to be back to his 2021 preseason level, until 2023 preseason at the same time of his injury.

Probably something similar for Hippy.
I meant with all the strength work he will be doing one the ligament is healed

it was very noticeable during the game just how torn up the ground gets though. If it is hard underneath, the grass on top certainly moves easy.

Possibly a valid point but how many players from other clubs have suffered serious injury there over the years?
Suns players included

Not a rhetorical or trick question.

I have no idea how to source that information but I genuinely would like to know.

I have gut feel that we (the Lions) have had more than our fair share

I have said it before and I will say it again, ground conditions probably play some role in ACL injuries but there is a wider issue. I read an article from David Gillespie who is a big anti sugar proponent in Aus and his theory of AGE’s and weaker ligaments stacks up well. You often see players bathing in Gatorade/Powerade during games. I’m pretty sure if you compared statistics from modern football with say 70’s, 80’s or even 90’s it will indicate a positively upward trend in ligament injuries.

I like this guys take on ACL,s and other injury issues, he is a Physiotherapist and a regular contributor on Big Footy ie. sven_inc , here is his thread on ACLs and another on hamstring tears for those interested.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...sy-to-miss-the-point-ft-nic-naitanui.1200170/

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...afl-world-might-be-missing-the-point.1193585/

Not saying he is spot on but they are interesting takes and he proffers good reasoning and evidence for his conclusions.

With the exception of Greenwood, I’m pretty sure every other Sun who did their knee, did it at Metricon.

View attachment 1177174
Witts did his at Adelaide Oval.

Thompson and Conroy did there's in training (don't know if on the main ground or training pitch)

Budarick the only one in game at Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back