Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call Ticky. Although I worry about the point that that ex-Swans medico made (can't remember his name), in that there will be more concussion cases being hidden by the players in question, in fear of missing games. You'd hope they are smarter and more responsible than that, but this is the playing cohort that last year couldn't get hub-life right.
What did we get wrong about Hub life? Taylor? If that was the only incident, and it was, we did more than OK. Christ most sides had more than one player stuff up. Our hub situation was good according to Longmire, other coaches and the players.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't remember the last time I saw a kid like Rowell. Kid is a freak

The reason I shared that article was less about the "comparing Campbell to Rowell" part, and more about the "the club is excited by what they've seen from Campbell so far" part.

Apart from ruck this is happening everywhere now.

I looked at our side today and thinking of the next draft we have to remove 3 players from our primary list.
I said to myself
Kennedy
ORiordan
and Warner only because I could not find anyone obvious else. may be a ruck?
Its hard this year. Everyone, especially after last year, deserves a chance to prove.

But the draft is relentless.
It comes around every 12 months.

Who are the 3 that are removed from the primary list?
Sinclair is getting close to retirement. I understand Joey probably won't go another year. Gray, Taylor and Clarke would all be on notice. Naismith would have to have a good injury free year. Amartey, Brand, McLean and Warner are the others who need to show something or be delisted.

Sinclair is getting close to retirement. I understand Joey probably won't go another year. Gray, Taylor and Clarke would all be on notice. Naismith would have to have a good injury free year. Amartey, Brand, McLean and Warner are the others who need to show something or be delisted.

Warner won't be getting delisted after this year. His development probably wasn't helped by the lack of NEAFL last year, and is pretty much the only developing midfielder we have on the list outside of those already established in the best 22.

Also the club seems to rate his hardness internally, though he is far from unique in that regard, so he may have to add other strings to his bow. There were glimpses of this in the scrimmages last year, as he seemed to try to get to the outside on occasion as well. Not that he looked natural doing so, it seemed like it was on instruction, but it made me wonder if the coaching staff also want him to provide more than just inside grunt through the midfield.

I don't think Kennedy has any plans on retiring any time soon. I don't think he would've put his hand up to co-captain the club again if he had his mind drifting towards retirement. That sort of a role requires total commitment to the club's present and future.
Second child now. I know he is a captain but that is an honour proffered be the team on a player. To turn down that sort of accolade is not something a player would contemplate. It is no indication of non retirement. If he still feels he can contribute as captain. Well and good.

But next year is a new year and Joey has already started to get the soft tissue injuries. In the last two years he has had time out with injury. After 30 it only gets worse and he is 32 turning 33 this year. I think he will retire. Same with Sinkas.

Warner won't be getting delisted after this year. His development probably wasn't helped by the lack of NEAFL last year, and is pretty much the only developing midfielder we have on the list outside of those already established in the best 22.

Also the club seems to rate his hardness internally, though he is far from unique in that regard, so he may have to add other strings to his bow. There were glimpses of this in the scrimmages last year, as he seemed to try to get to the outside on occasion as well. Not that he looked natural doing so, it seemed like it was on instruction, but it made me wonder if the coaching staff also want him to provide more than just inside grunt through the midfield.
I think all midfielders need to be able to break free. There was a shot of him doing that early in the match sim. A decent disposal to follow. The coaches will be trying to help him improve all asoects of his game. He wants it very badly.

I think all midfielders need to be able to break free. There was a shot of him doing that early in the match sim. A decent disposal to follow. The coaches will be trying to help him improve all asoects of his game. He wants it very badly.
Coaches definitely rate Warner for his competitiveness, he'll remain on our list until at least the end of 2023

Yeah I've always considered him more of a project player than what many believed him to be. I recall early last year the talk was that he was so hard at the contest that he was ready for senior footy. But we already had/have plenty of players who are just as hard at the contest, and if that was the lone criteria for significant senior game-time, then Bell would also be a lock in the 22 by now.

I think when I saw Warner's highlights package upon being drafted and it consisted of literally nothing but tackles and contested handballs, I realised he has a long way to go. And I still think he could go either way. But the club will give him every opportunity to be the best player he can be, and he seems like a good kid who will try to learn as much as he can as well.

Not gonna lie though, I sorta hope that the young mids we have already put game-time into, who as a collective I'm not yet sold on, will turn out so good that Warner won't be required.

Yeah I've always considered him more of a project player than what many believed him to be. I recall early last year the talk was that he was so hard at the contest that he was ready for senior footy. But we already had/have plenty of players who are just as hard at the contest, and if that was the lone criteria for significant senior game-time, then Bell would also be a lock in the 22 by now.

I think when I saw Warner's highlights package upon being drafted and it consisted of literally nothing but tackles and contested handballs, I realised he has a long way to go. And I still think he could go either way. But the club will give him every opportunity to be the best player he can be, and he seems like a good kid who will try to learn as much as he can as well.

Not gonna lie though, I sorta hope that the young mids we have already put game-time into, who as a collective I'm not yet sold on, will turn out so good that Warner won't be required.
I sort of agree. Though he has not had much of a chance. Sydney have lots in the same position with more credentials. You will not get an extended opportunity to prove yourself beyond this year. Thats the brutal reality of lots of talented kids trying to get games in an established team with high standards.

I sort of agree. Though he has not had much of a chance. Sydney have lots in the same position with more credentials. You will not get an extended opportunity to prove yourself beyond this year. Thats the brutal reality of lots of talented kids trying to get games in an established team with high standards.

The bolded is only true for Warner if the likes of Mills, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey and Stephens look good as a midfield collective by the end of this year. And even then I can't imagine we'd let a capable mid go the first year he's out of contract. He'd at least be retained for depth.

The bolded is only true for Warner if the likes of Mills, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey and Stephens look good as a midfield collective by the end of this year. And even then I can't imagine we'd let a capable mid go the first year he's out of contract. He'd at least be retained for depth.
We also have rookie Sheather plus Gulden and Campbell also pressing claims.

I'm not arguing with you.

What I am saying is that there is a very real press for positions in the side. And that is good for Sydney. Not the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people keep saying Gould is a KPD?

Gould is an absolute tweener. IMO he has potential and some good traits but needs to work out what type he is first, then probably needs to find a playing weight that suits that position.

For me he's too short for KPD and not agile enough to be a rebounder. 3rd defender maybe but not in front of Rampe... Plenty of potential but we're going to have to be real patient with his development
Yeah he's 3rd defender for sure.

Warner is my boy, there will be hell to pay if we cut him!

We need a bevy of blokes in the twos who are playing really good footy in the midfield, to put pressure on the mid fielders in the ones. Warner will be required to do just that - and like you, I am not yet sold that we have the cattle to get it done. I have real hopes.....but they need to be realised. Blakey could be a weapon as a mid fielder but has shown that he can be as useless as any bloke with a big head and who drinks his own bathwater and Florent has the potential but is so inconsistent. This year will sort out a few and we may still be looking for mid fielders in next year's draft if that's the way it falls.

Read elsewhere that the GWS game this weekend will have 6 periods (I couldn’t bring myself to say quarters) with the “best team” playing four (or players managed according to their program) and the “reserves” playing two (some of which will obviously play across the first four periods.

Something like that anyway.

Last edited:
Read elsewhere that the GWS game this weekend will have 6 periods (I couldn’t bring myself to say quarters) with the “best team” playing four (or players managed according to their program) and the “reserves” playing two (some of which will obviously play across the first four periods.

six sixths ?

Kudos for not succumbing. I bet you refuse to use”versing” as a verb too!

Think that's how at least one of the Vic matches was done.

Kudos for not succumbing. I bet you refuse to use”versing” as a verb too!

Have to admit I don’t really know what you mean but obviously I did something wrong.

Good thing I don’t really care...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back