2022/23 Melbourne Victory Thread - R.I.P OSM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when is a football team built using a either/or approach? It needs to be a mix.

In any case, no one has a problem signing academy players, they’re cynical about the club announcing them on social media as major announcements while other teams announce guys who are going to be first team players. It’s just content…

As I've said in the post above plenty of time to sign players including Internationals, the club has been notorious in the past in signing players late.

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

hell of a membership drive, watching other teams announce exciting players with international pedigree while we... announce academy players being promoted.
I emailed them and asked to cancel it.

I emailed them and asked to cancel it.

I already did that when the season ended and they started doing the survey stuff. When I reflected on the survey questions, on our seasons, on our approach to signings, on the 777 deal, on the security arrangements for the first derby of the year, on the way the club did nothing about the GF announcement til after the fact, on the way the Christmas derby sanctions were imposed... why do I need to keep giving my money to a team that has never valued me as a fan? It's like if I'm not a mum or a dad or a kid under 16 I don't matter.

It actually kind of hurt, cos I understand the importance of membership and it does genuinely make me feel part of the club. But this just isn't a club I feel I need to be a part of any more, as I say I've never felt valued as a member. The A-Leagues even less so :(

I already did that when the season ended and they started doing the survey stuff. When I reflected on the survey questions, on our seasons, on our approach to signings, on the 777 deal, on the security arrangements for the first derby of the year, on the way the club did nothing about the GF announcement til after the fact, on the way the Christmas derby sanctions were imposed... why do I need to keep giving my money to a team that has never valued me as a fan? It's like if I'm not a mum or a dad or a kid under 16 I don't matter.

It actually kind of hurt, cos I understand the importance of membership and it does genuinely make me feel part of the club. But this just isn't a club I feel I need to be a part of any more, as I say I've never felt valued as a member. The A-Leagues even less so :(
The derby violence was the one that put be over the line to can it and I was a 3 game member so the cost wasn't exactly astronomical. I just can't see myself going to games.

The derby violence was the one that put be over the line to can it and I was a 3 game member so the cost wasn't exactly astronomical. I just can't see myself going to games.

I don't penalise the club for something they had no control over. While it's not a huge deal, it is relevant (and it was lost in all the controversy) that it was a City home game, we weren't in charge of the secco arrangements. The Victory absolutely should've done a better job in understanding the sheer rage around the GF decision at the time - but at the end of the day, we weren't responsible for the arrangements beyond ensuring that Melbourne City, the A Leagues, VicPol and Melbourne & Olympic Parks had the banned lists and were aware of any likely trouble makers based on their knowledge. We weren't in charge of ticket sales, we weren't in charge of keeping the banned out, and we weren't in charge of the seccos who were supposed to perform bag searches.

What we did have control over was our response to all that - going over and above the A-League sanctions to penalise all of us, and to genuinely make you feel like a shitty person if you bothered them by turning up? That was rubbish. And it was why thousands of us didn't bother turning up, and might never turn up again.

I still love the Victory, I'll still watch them every week, but I couldn't be less engaged with this competition. And that's fine, as a single guy in my 30s I'm not the person that they prefer to engage anyway. Never have, they've always been prepared to sacrifice the rusted on fans they have in the pursuit of the "family fans" who were never interested in the A-League, and proved that when they started turning up to BBL en masse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worst kept secret

MELBOURNE VICTORY SIGNS DANIEL ARZANI​

Melbourne Victory is pleased to announce the signing of forward, Daniel Arzani ahead of the 2023/24 Isuzu UTE A-League season.

The 24-year-old has signed on with the Club until the end of the 2024/25 season, joining from Macarthur FC where he made 19 appearances in his first season since returning from Europe.

Arzani departed Australia as a 19-year-old, joining Manchester City and heading to Celtic on loan before spells with Utrecht, AGF and Lommel.

Melbourne Victory Head Coach, Tony Popovic said he was looking forward to seeing Arzani produce on the pitch.

“We’re incredibly pleased to welcome Daniel to Melbourne Victory and believe he has all the attributes to be a strong contributor to our success this season,” Popovic said.

“We’ve seen what he can produce. He’s a dynamic, young forward who has shown he can deliver and we believe the environment at Melbourne Victory will allow him to return to his best.”

Arzani was also thrilled to be heading to Victory.

“I’m excited to be joining Melbourne Victory for the upcoming season and looking forward to getting stuck into pre-season with the team,” Arzani said.

“I understand the expectation that comes from joining a Club like Melbourne Victory and I want to prove myself to the best fans in the league, week-in, week-out.”

“AAMI Park is a special place for me and I believe that I can be the best version of myself at Melbourne Victory.”

Arzani is the first new signing of the 2023/24 A-League Men’s season, joining the promotion of Franco Lino, Joshua Inserra and Jordi Valadon to the senior squad. Arzani will join the squad for the commencement of the A-League Men’s pre-season on Monday 10 July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back