A-League A-Leagues Men and Women 2022/23 Off Season Thread

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixture's out!

The APL has broken away from the Saturday night double-header which was a regular feature of the 2021-22 ALM season, in an attempt to optimise league-wide attendance figures whilst increasing both broadcast viewership and fan engagement.
The standalone Saturday night fixture at 7.45pm AEST will continue to be broadcast free to air on Network 10.
The complete fixture release offers consistency to the fans, with 90% of the 156 games kicking off in four regular time slots over the course of each weekend (7.45pm, 5pm, 3pm, 1pm AEDT/AEST).

For the majority of the 2022-23 campaign, ALM fans can expect to see

• One fixture kick-off at 7.45pm AEDT/AEST on both Friday and Saturday nights
  • Two simultaneous Saturday afternoon games (5.00pm AEDT/AEST)
  • Two fixtures back-to-back on Sunday afternoons
Of the 156 fixtures, only nine will take place outside of the weekend: six on Mondays, two on Tuesdays, and one Thursday kick-off.

I like the new fixture. With a new, unaffected covid season and a World Cup with the socceroos up coming the league needs to be absolutely relentlessly advertised over and over again until R1.

What also needs to happen is Paramount + need to do a deal with Foxtel with them replacing Bein Sports as the football component in their sport & Kayo packages. This would bring A League on to mainstream foxtel while still allowing those who don't want foxtel able to subscribe independently. Plus Paramouunt has FA Cup / internationals also.

I like the new fixture. With a new, unaffected covid season and a World Cup with the socceroos up coming the league needs to be absolutely relentlessly advertised over and over again until R1.

What also needs to happen is Paramount + need to do a deal with Foxtel with them replacing Bein Sports as the football component in their sport & Kayo packages. This would bring A League on to mainstream foxtel while still allowing those who don't want foxtel able to subscribe independently. Plus Paramouunt has FA Cup / internationals also.

Paramount Plus is getting its own app on Foxtel soon not sure when through. I also want an extra match on free to air. Put it on 10 Bold on a Friday night if need be. One game on Saturday night isn't enough imo the league can't grow and just gets lost in the mainstream.

Any source? time to cancel my subscription yet?
email today from Melbourne Victory saying free 12 months of Paramount plus surely all clubs will do that

Wasn't this a thing last year and it was impossible to get it to work?
They made us pay as part of our membership, this year it's free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top signing for Sydney FC Parsons is a very good young talent the Sky blues are rebuilding quickly it seems. and Elvis Kamsoba off to Iran strange move didn't see that one coming.

Last edited:
What the hell is going on with Corey Brown? This is one the most passive aggressive statements I think I've ever seen put out by a club. Definitely not making light of whatever was deemed serious misconduct and not at all trying to chase details, but the way it talks about the PFA and stuff seems like s**t has really hit the fan.

The s**t slinging from Brisbane and the PFA is brilliant and why I love the A-League. I hope this continues.

For those that haven't seen it, Brisbane posted this last night:

Brisbane Roar FC wishes to advise of the termination of the contract of defender Corey Brown.

The club wishes him well for his future endeavours.

The PFA came back with this (the last part is brilliant):

Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) wishes to clarify the misleading and bizarre statement issued by Brisbane Roar in relation to its member Corey Brown.

“As the club is aware, Corey has initiated judicial proceedings to dispute Brisbane Roar’s termination of his contract,” PFA Co-Chief Executive Beau Busch said.

“As a consequence of this legal action, Corey’s contract remains on foot until a final determination is made. This is something the club, deliberately or otherwise, is failing to understand.

“As the club continues to operate well below the expected standards of a professional football club, the PFA’s primary focus remains on protecting Corey’s wellbeing – something the club seems to have little regard for.”

Football Australia said this:

Football Australia confirms that it has received an application from Mr Brown to have a legal dispute arising out of or in connection with his contract with Brisbane Roar heard by the National Dispute Resolution Chamber (NDRC).

The NDRC is an independent arbitration tribunal and a core pillar of Australia’s Domestic Transfer System. It has the jurisdiction to hear and determine disputes between clubs and players regarding the status and transfer of players, including in respect to the termination of employment contracts and any award for compensation and prescribed sanctions.

All players and clubs who are parties to an A-Leagues player contract are obliged to submit exclusively to the jurisdiction of the NDRC.

Then Brisbane released a 2nd statement this afternoon:

Last night (Thursday 18 August 2022), Brisbane Roar FC posted an information-only statement concerning Corey Brown.

Corey Brown was terminated for Serious Misconduct, and the full particulars of that conduct were expressly provided to the player’s representatives, including the PFA.

The PFA subsequently posted on its website a statement quoting Co-Chief Executive Beau Busch, which contained intemperate and incorrect information about how Brisbane Roar FC operates and its concern for Corey’s wellbeing.

Those statements are rejected entirely by the Club.

What is not appreciated by the PFA is that the Club has a far broader duty of care to every player in the playing squad. Not just Corey.

We call upon Beau to now disclose his involvement in this investigation and subsequent termination process and to publicly state the PFA position on the issues that gave the Club no option but to terminate his contract for Serious Misconduct.

The reasons for Corey’s termination have been unequivocally communicated to the PFA.

However, the PFA and the Club have opposed positions regarding the consequences that flow from the factual basis for the termination.

If the PFA wishes to agitate those issues in the public domain, the Club is happy to have these issues ventilated to allow its members and supporters to decide how the Club has dealt with this issue.

As to the balance of the post, the Club believes that the PFA is better served to examine its own issues than attempting to deflect blame here upon Brisbane Roar FC without any basis.

What the hell is going on with Corey Brown? This is one the most passive aggressive statements I think I've ever seen put out by a club. Definitely not making light of whatever was deemed serious misconduct and not at all trying to chase details, but the way it talks about the PFA and stuff seems like s**t has really hit the fan.

Pfa statement doesn't say much either (less imo)

The s**t slinging from Brisbane and the PFA is brilliant and why I love the A-League. I hope this continues.

For those that haven't seen it, Brisbane posted this last night:

The PFA came back with this (the last part is brilliant):

Football Australia said this:

Then Brisbane released a 2nd statement this afternoon:

Popcorn GIF by WWE

SMH are reporting that it’s due to off season drug use - though apparently they haven’t provided any evidence of this.

If they lose this dispute, surely it’s finally the catalyst to ******* off the Bakrie Group. I know the APL don’t want to run teams, I know they’ve had to hold Newcastle for a while now - but the Bakrie’s have been nothing but trouble for 10 years. At this point they’re doing more harm to the league than another ownerless team would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back