Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Whately is suggesting the low ratings this year is unequivocal evidence that people prefer night games and the afl should never do a day grand final again. What absolute garbage. His point of comparison was the last two years where Covid inhibited/discouraged people from leaving their home and visit public venues or potentially even other peoples homes. Not to mention, the game was terrible and people would not be turning that on to watch. He is just acting as a mouth piece for his employer but it’s still annoying.
would they only be including anyone who watched the whole thing or is it measured after a particular time? Heaps would have switched it off after half time I assume, which would impact the numbers.

Also, don't TV ratings have about as much reliability as phone polls?

EDIT: ok so OZTAM do ratings here.

From Wikipedia: "In total, OzTAM measures ratings from 3,500 homes, with 950 homes in Sydney, 900 in Melbourne, 650 in Brisbane and 500 each in Adelaide and Perth, with these ratings commonly referred to as 'five city metro ratings'.[2] A further 2,000 homes outside these five cities are measured by Regional TAM, and an additional 1,200 homes monitor viewing of subscription television in Australia"

would they only be including anyone who watched the whole thing or is it measured after a particular time? Heaps would have switched it off after half time I assume, which would impact the numbers.

I think they measure peak and average ratings and break it down for press releases. Media tends to go with whichever one suits their audience better.

Or they tried to view but it wasn't available on free to air streaming (I think that was the case).
That *in 7+ app stuff up killed me!

Just needed to reset my password and (that function of the website) was down! I tried to create a new account but that wasn't working either

Took them until midway through the third quarter to fix it.

I watched it yesterday (and followed it up with 2013/2014/2015 straight after :p).
I couldn't even stomach a highlights package of the match for many months. I watched it in full for the first time since that grand final day in the lead up to the 2014 grand final. And with thanks to how 2014 turned out, I've watched the 2012 grand final numerous times since (at least once a year). The result may not have gone Hawthorn's way, but it was still a good match (yes the missed shots at goal is a bit ughhhhhhhhhh). I can appreciate good matches even when Hawthorn lose. the 2011 preliminary final gets a rewatch during preliminary final week most years :p
2 matches I'll never re-watch..1984 GF & '11 Preliminary final.....

Whately is suggesting the low ratings this year is unequivocal evidence that people prefer night games and the afl should never do a day grand final again. What absolute garbage. His point of comparison was the last two years where Covid inhibited/discouraged people from leaving their home and visit public venues or potentially even other peoples homes. Not to mention, the game was terrible and people would not be turning that on to watch. He is just acting as a mouth piece for his employer but it’s still annoying.
I am not certain it matters at all to the AFL, but moving the game to night would make growing the event in the US nearly impossible. There were at least two game-watch events here in the Seattle area (one a fundraiser for our USAFL team). Match started at 9:30PM local time. These watch parties would not be even a possibility with a GF starting between 3 and 5 AM. TBH, even a match with Hawthorn involved would be a no go for me. Of course I'd be all in on the replay (but only if we won LOL)

EDIT: ok so OZTAM do ratings here.

From Wikipedia: "In total, OzTAM measures ratings from 3,500 homes, with 950 homes in Sydney, 900 in Melbourne, 650 in Brisbane and 500 each in Adelaide and Perth, with these ratings commonly referred to as 'five city metro ratings'.[2] A further 2,000 homes outside these five cities are measured by Regional TAM, and an additional 1,200 homes monitor viewing of subscription television in Australia"
The technology measures continuously, I believe but not sure exactly how that translates into reported viewers. I think there are some seriously flawed assumptions to ratings to measure the number of viewers. Of course that may not be the actual aim of a ratings figure, believe it or not. The error on the estimate would be quite large and no way known would it be unbiased estimate of actual viewers. As I have never seen a confidence interval attached to these numbers, it is hard to know whether the differences from year to year are even statistically significant.

I am not certain it matters at all to the AFL, but moving the game to night would make growing the event in the US nearly impossible. There were at least two game-watch events here in the Seattle area (one a fundraiser for our USAFL team). Match started at 9:30PM local time. These watch parties would not be even a possibility with a GF starting between 3 and 5 AM. TBH, even a match with Hawthorn involved would be a no go for me. Of course I'd be all in on the replay (but only if we won LOL)
The broadcasters want night grand finals because they can charge more for advertising. There is no other reason this is being pushed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back