Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the worry for me was Longmire couldn't even get them to play spiteful .

They were looking like "chokers 2022" from very early on and yet they still didn't get angry or spiteful or lay hurtful tackles.

They played "soft" footy for the whole 4 qtrs.

Away from the luxury of the SCG these leaders are very vulnerable.

Yeh Geelong were easily the biggest side in the AFL this year I reckon (across all lines).

There midfield especially I reckon Selwood is the smallest and the rest are all 186cm to 190cm and 88kg to 92kg. Really we only have Duke who can compete with these big boys (I do not classify Nash as a true midfielder).

Playing country footy it was generally the bigger sides that won finals, AFL is no different really. Size and power is such a weapon in the contest.

Makes me question why our conditioning team has been so focused on turning our guys into middle distance runners in the off season.

Been some seasons recently they have appeared almost undernourished coming into round 1!

My only guess is that they wanted to create an elite running team but I don't think 22 elite runners will ever beat a team of powerful footballers like Geelong has.
This is true, Geelong did physically intimidate Sydney and everyone else.

But they have only won this premiership because Scott finally realised he needed running machines like Blicavs (who they have been fortunate to replace in defence), Smith, Cameron and Holmes (feel for him missing out).

Geelong have been one of the biggest sides forever and have won nothing until they complemented it with elite runners.

This is true, Geelong did physically intimidate Sydney and everyone else.

But they have only won this premiership because Scott finally realised he needed running machines like Blicavs (who they have been fortunate to replace in defence), Smith, Cameron and Holmes (feel for him missing out).

Geelong have been one of the biggest sides forever and have won nothing until they complemented it with elite runners.
You definitely need a mix of power and speed, no argument here from me.

But its a bit harsh to say they haven't won anything given they have made what 6 or 7 prelim finals in the past ten years (and once you make a prelim luck comes into it).

l would say having a bigger team gets them in the position to make a prelim (win enough games to finish top 4) and the extra speed probably got them over the line.

Once again though I look at our recruitment and we have focused on lightly framed endurance runners and we have a real dearth of both big, powerful units (probably just Lewis and Newk?) and also a real lack of players with genuine foot speed (maybe just CJ?). So many of our players are a typical half back composition (mid size, mid speed, etc).

I reckon to make it in the AFL these days you have to have one (size or speed) or the other (preferably both). Not much point being small, slow but good endurance (Tom Scully springs to mind as a perfect example of this).

You definitely need a mix of power and speed, no argument here from me.

But its a bit harsh to say they haven't won anything given they have made what 6 or 7 prelim finals in the past ten years (and once you make a prelim luck comes into it).

l would say having a bigger team gets them in the position to make a prelim (win enough games to finish top 4) and the extra speed probably got them over the line.

Once again though I look at our recruitment and we have focused on lightly framed endurance runners and we have a real dearth of both big, powerful units (probably just Lewis and Newk?) and also a real lack of players with genuine foot speed (maybe just CJ?). So many of our players are a typical half back composition (mid size, mid speed, etc).

I reckon to make it in the AFL these days you have to have one (size or speed) or the other (preferably both). Not much point being small, slow but good endurance (Tom Scully springs to mind as a perfect example of this).
Our team is mostly kids though. Cats are all grown men.

I don't think it is luck that was missing.

When I say they haven't won anything, in the past the cats have been exposed (smashed) by Richmond and then Melbourne for run and pace on the MCG. Scott finally addressed this the last year or two. Isaac Smith has been huge for them as has Jeremy Cameron. De Koning has replaced Blicavs in the backline freeing him up to run amok (and Scott resists the temptation to play as him a ruck these days). Add a few running kids and all of a sudden Geelong are a different team.

Geelong have always been huge - Hawkins, Dangerfield, Tuohy, etc. But until recently they have always been exposed for run.

I think this year they finally got the balance right between everything. Thank **** they didn't figure it all out 5 years ago. Instead they chased Ablett/Higgins/Dahlhaus/Menegola. Sure they can all play but they were not the pieces Geelong were missing to win it all.

One thing I completely love about Geelong (and it drives me crazy) is how good they are in the air. They have been one of the best if not the best marking teams in the AFL for a very long time. It is such a weapon.

Our team is mostly kids though. Cats are all grown men.

I don't think it is luck that was missing.

When I say they haven't won anything, in the past the cats have been exposed (smashed) by Richmond and then Melbourne for run and pace on the MCG. Scott finally addressed this the last year or two. Isaac Smith has been huge for them as has Jeremy Cameron. De Koning has replaced Blicavs in the backline freeing him up to run amok (and Scott resists the temptation to play as him a ruck these days). Add a few running kids and all of a sudden Geelong are a different team.

Geelong have always been huge - Hawkins, Dangerfield, Tuohy, etc. But until recently they have always been exposed for run.

I think this year they finally got the balance right between everything. Thank **** they didn't figure it all out 5 years ago. Instead they chased Ablett/Higgins/Dahlhaus/Menegola. Sure they can all play but they were not the pieces Geelong were missing to win it all.

One thing I completely love about Geelong (and it drives me crazy) is how good they are in the air. They have been one of the best if not the best marking teams in the AFL for a very long time. It is such a weapon.
Yea their backline in particular are all elite marks.

Which makes the gameplan of Brisbane and Swans to bang it long into their forward lines the last two games so bewildering.

The Geelong backline have been eating that rubbish tactic for breakfast for the better part of 15 years! Did they really think that Franklin / Daniher / Hipwood we're going to put in a contested marking clinic against the likes of TDK, Touhey, Stewart, etc?

Once again though I don't think it's a coincidence that the biggest/tallest team in the league is also the best in the air.

Sydney tried to short kick their way through Geelong's defence up the wings and Geelong were just way too well drilled. They moved quickly to pressure the targets and as soon as they forced an error that didn't result in a Sydney mark they swarmed the outlet options until they won the turnover. In the event Sydney did make it into their forward half Geelong didn't allow any easy lead up options and got them to kick long and high where their defenders monstered them in the air.

The way we played and beat Geelong earlier in the season was with a polar opposite approach. Fast and long by foot. Use the corridor when possible. Gain the territory and not give their defence the time to setup.

The reassuring thing for us is that we'd lost Reeves early and had only played this style in half a dozen games or so at that point. We're going to get better at executing it and sustaining it throughout a season.

The moment Brisbane beat Richmond the flag was always Geelong’s

Dare say Melbourne would have been the only team that could have matched them - but without a fit McDonald, Petracca and Oliver that was going to be a stretch even for them.

Last edited:
It's hard to express in words but I feel like the Cats players in general are bigger, but not bigger in an obvious way like Worps was this year? Players like Duncan, Touhey, Guthrie, Dangerfield etc aren't rippling with muscles like Worps was this year but they are big powerful men.

It's not just conditioning it's also drafting. I feel like going forward when we get a choice between two kids who are roughly the same talent level maybe we should lean towards picking the bigger, taller more developed player?

I mean look at what Newk has been able to do in just two years. The kid was built like a tank from the start and is already one of our top three players whereas our more lightly built draftees (DGB, Day, etc) are still finding their way.
Jai is one out of the box . We got lucky and he will be that powerhouse that you/we are after . But he is very rare for a second year player.

The others will need time to combine getting size while building running capability .

Unfortunately it takes time

Dare say Melbourne would have been the only team that could have matched them - but without a fit McDonald, Petracca and Olvier that was going to be a stretch even for them.
They really need a forward to come into that side.

Still baffles me they’re not all over Gunston like a rash.
He might be a bit too similar to Fritsch. They need a bustling tall forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whately is suggesting the low ratings this year is unequivocal evidence that people prefer night games and the afl should never do a day grand final again. What absolute garbage. His point of comparison was the last two years where Covid inhibited/discouraged people from leaving their home and visit public venues or potentially even other peoples homes. Not to mention, the game was terrible and people would not be turning that on to watch. He is just acting as a mouth piece for his employer but it’s still annoying.

Whately is suggesting the low ratings this year is unequivocal evidence that people prefer night games.
If the Hawks are in it, I don’t care what time it’s on.

If we’re not in it, I’d like a day game please.

I’ve got a feeling we’re getting a night GF whether we want it or not.

I’ve got a feeling we’re getting a night GF whether we want it or not.
I've always considered Saturday afternoon to be the traditional time slot for all footy so the fact the Grand Final is the day/time makes perfect sense to me. Wouldn't feel right at any other time.

But I think you're right, I fear we will get a night GF whether we like it or not. The agenda is being pushed every year to guage public interest and get it into the minds of the footy public for an eventual move. Only a matter of time.

Ridiculous

Over the years the argument has been "pre/halftime entertainment would go down better at night". The covid seasons proved that you can dress up entertainment acts at night but if they are crap, they'll still be crap under lights.

It all boils down to ratings, but if the game is as one sided to the point where its over at quarter time. You'll still have a large amount turning it off to watch something else.

Daytime football is great, the grand final start time is perfect. The whole day is magical, from breakfast to lunch/afternoon, post game celebrations can begin and last hours upon hours. Those of us that want to, can rewatch the match again :p.

An twilight/evening grand final, the buildup is too long and tiresome. Once the game is over its bed time for most people.

Dare say Melbourne would have been the only team that could have matched them - but without a fit McDonald, Petracca and Oliver that was going to be a stretch even for them.
I reckon a fit Richmond would have opened them up. Melbourne are too predictable and Geelongs defense is too well drilled.

Whately is suggesting the low ratings this year is unequivocal evidence that people prefer night games and the afl should never do a day grand final again. What absolute garbage. His point of comparison was the last two years where Covid inhibited/discouraged people from leaving their home and visit public venues or potentially even other peoples homes. Not to mention, the game was terrible and people would not be turning that on to watch. He is just acting as a mouth piece for his employer but it’s still annoying.
I normally dont mind him but the last few weeks he has been in full cheeleader fanboy mode ....not quite Robbo level but bad.

Some of his/huddo's match call was embarrasing .
He was way off the mark with this yesterday

TV ratings would have also been impacted by the extra long weekend down here. Reckon a lot of Melbourne folk went regional/interstate and weren’t viewing because their team wasn’t in it. Grand final is where it belongs - * the minor ratings bump.

TV ratings would have also been impacted by the extra long weekend down here. Reckon a lot of Melbourne folk went regional/interstate and weren’t viewing because their team wasn’t in it. Grand final is where it belongs - * the minor ratings bump.
I wonder why a backwater club and a team from a non-AFL state drew low numbers? Must be the time slot. /s

I wonder why a backwater club and a team from a non-AFL state drew low numbers? Must be the time slot. /s

Whatley probably:

🤓 that is puerile and incongruous with all logic, reason and rational thought. The Pivotonian Felines are an entity of gargantuan and magnanimous scale. This impeccable organisation sets the bar on-field, off-field, philosophically and metaphysically 🤓

Or they tried to view but it wasn't available on free to air streaming (I think that was the case).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back