Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairly solid rumours Selwood has retired….let’s hope so. I hate him but he is why they have been so competitive for so long. We need leaders like him in the draft if we can find them. Our leadership is a shell of what it was since Hodgey left

I think the goal celebration indicated that he’s played his last game - wouldn’t be shocked if he’d let team mates know also. Might be why they were so bloody fired up.

Dylan Moore could be this kind of leader for us absolutely burns for the guernsey. He and Sicily would be a great captain/vice captain duo to instil some fire into the players.

I know this isn’t the thread but the biggest thing to win a premiership that seems really consistent is one exceptional leader to will his team over the line….Hodge, Cotch, Selwood etc….my view we need to find this to win our next premiership…not sure we have it now.

Congratulations to Geelong on their first premiership since their dynasty of 07-11.

And to Chris Scott, who proved all the doubters wrong.

And to Joel Selwood, who can now retire a premiership captain.

And to Dangerfield, who finally became a premiership player and got the icing on his storied career.

And to Cameron, who was looking for success and chose the right team to join.

And to Hawkins who copped it when he had a bad back but became a multi premiership hero.

Now if you'll just excuse me.

😭🔫💥

Congratulations to Geelong on their first premiership since their dynasty of 07-11.

And to Chris Scott, who proved all the doubters wrong.

And to Joel Selwood, who can now retire a premiership captain.

And to Dangerfield, who finally became a premiership player and got the icing on his storied career.

And to Cameron, who was looking for success and chose the right team to join.

And to Hawkins who copped it when he had a bad back but became a multi premiership hero.

Now if you'll just excuse me.

😭🔫💥
You forgot Smith

That's what I said to my dad who I was watching it with. Longmire had to get Buddy involved and the best way would have been to get him up onto the wing or something. He's an underrated field kick and could have helped their transition with some long, flat dart kicks.
If only they had a young forward available who wasn't injured.......

I think the goal celebration indicated that he’s played his last game - wouldn’t be shocked if he’d let team mates know also. Might be why they were so bloody fired up.

Dylan Moore could be this kind of leader for us absolutely burns for the guernsey. He and Sicily would be a great captain/vice captain duo to instil some fire into the players.
Love the idea of a Moore/Sicily captaincy duo.

Just seems like it would work👌

Disappointing game. The pies would've probably put up a better fight (QF was a great game!).
Fairly solid rumours Selwood has retired….let’s hope so. I hate him but he is why they have been so competitive for so long. We need leaders like him in the draft if we can find them. Our leadership is a shell of what it was since Hodgey left

I hope he has - nothing against him, great player etc. but it's probably time. Imo the cats top-up strategy has been driven entirely by the fact they had Selwood (generational player) and to a lesser extent, Tomahawk & danger on the list. They'll still get players like Bruhn etc. come to then, but once Selwood, tomahawk & danger retire I expect the fall to come

Anyone else surprised how much physically bigger cats were? Their back 6 were all 90kgs plus for example - monstered Sydney around the contest but didn’t get exposed for run or pace. Yes geelong has big bodies but rarely see that much of a difference against another top team.
1664085973765.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else surprised how much physically bigger cats were? Their back 6 were all 90kgs plus for example - monstered Sydney around the contest but didn’t get exposed for run or pace. Yes geelong has big bodies but rarely see that much of a difference against another top team.
i come in peace.

Interesting take, considering one of those defenders is Zach Guthrie. Opposition supporters and Geelong supporters took the piss out of Geelong for playing a primary school kid. Also Stewart isn't huge, just the ideal football shape. SDK is skinny as a rake.

Need to check the headbands - suss how many of them wear one. What are they delivering into the skull? :think:
They keep the wigs on that hide all the premature baldness they're known for during premiership years.

I’m not sure what everyone expected of Buddy. Swans had 32 inside 50’s - and most of those were shite.

Swans supporters are pretty dirty on him - I thought he was poor even considering how few times the ball was down there. Longmire has a fear of moving Buddy when it isn’t working - Clarko used to get him up the field when he was having a quiet game.

He was rubbish even when he went chasing kicks in the backline.

Geelol are Buddy's kryptonite. Rarely plays a good game against them.

i come in peace.

Interesting take, considering one of those defenders is Zach Guthrie. Opposition supporters and Geelong supporters took the piss out of Geelong for playing a primary school kid. Also Stewart isn't huge, just the ideal football shape. SDK is skinny as a rake.

Can you really say you come in peace with that display picture?

Pretty sure we had a crack at it just were not good enough.
I reckon we would've been good enough had we not lost Roughy for the season. With Hale retiring at the end of 2015 we just didn't quite have the depth to cover what Roughy brought up forward and in the ruck.

I reckon we would've been good enough had we not lost Roughy for the season. With Hale retiring at the end of 2015 we just didn't quite have the depth to cover what Roughy brought up forward and in the ruck.
I reckon we fell off the cliff at the end of the season.

Didn't have the same hunger as the previous 3 years.

2015 was at the time the oldest gf team in history so no real surprise.

They wanted it more , went way harder then the Swans . Nothing to do with size imo yesterday

It was 2014 again , we physically were harder and broke them early . Same happened yesterday

I reckon we fell off the cliff at the end of the season.

Didn't have the same hunger as the previous 3 years.

2015 was at the time the oldest gf team in history so no real surprise.

I honestly thought the cliff had arrived when we lost to WCE in the Qualifying Final in 2015. However that loss and the stick we copped in the media seemed to give us the jolt we needed to refocus and the rest is history.

But yes I think you are right by the end of the season the hunger was gone and it probably felt like they had nothing else left to prove.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back