2022 in Review Movies and TV

Remove this Banner Ad

looked very cheaply made expect for that ending where I’m sure they used most of the budget
I think the external location, costume, and cast (Fiennes and Taylor Joy in particular) would have cost a little bit.

Wikipedia tells me it cost $30M, which is not an arthouse budget.

I get your point though, I think. 80% of it was shot on one sound stage, and the transition scenes were deliberately arty.

How boring am I, I haven't seen a single new movie in 2022 and the only TV show I liked was Reacher.

There was also a documentary series, Legacy: The True Story Of The LA Lakers, that I quite enjoyed.

No particular order and not sure if they're exclusive to 2022 but I watched them last year.

TV
Severance
The Bear
Dopesick
White Lotus
Black Bird
We own this city
Peacemaker

Movies
Boiling Point
Spiderman nwh
Everything everything all at once
Topgun maverick
Dune
Nope

Ones I want to watch are
Prey and Tokyo Vice

So caveat by saying I haven’t seen the following and will assume they will go close to a top 10 list for me

Tar
What Josiah Saw
The Menu
Bros
Bodies, Bodies, Bodies
Cha Cha Real Smooth
Bones and All
The Banshees of Inisherin
Aftersun

Honorable mentions to the following

The Northmen
Hustle
Do Revenge
Fresh
Vengeance

10. All quiet on the western front
9. Elvis
8. The Fallout
7. Prey
6. Emily the criminal

5. The Batman
Gritty, fresh, mature take on the caped crusader that gave us a more realistic look at how the dark knight would probably be a brooding loner weirdo. Kind of loses its way in the third act but not enough to diminish the overall appeal.

4- The Stranger. Indie Aussie movie showing the years long undercover sting operation. Absolute masterclass in acting and directing with restraint. Could easily argue this is watching two blokes run errands for two hours but the constant tension of cat and mouse and the stress of needing to show up and wait day after day knowing what you’re sitting with. Sean Harris and Joel Edgerton deserve awards for this.

3 X/Pearl. Cheating slightly but this is a sequel/prequel filmed and released back to back. Sits between high concept horror (think Get Out and Midsommar) and pure 80s slasher littered with some real cooked psychosexual elements. Brilliantly shot and hanging on a star turn from Mia Goth and Jenna Ortega both of whom nail the sexual politics of the story.

2- Top Gun: Maverick. Cinematic perfection. If there was one film to see in cinemas this year this was it. Do it at home when you can. It’s cliched, tropey brilliance. When it hits the beats you saw coming in the opening credits you’ll still pump your fist.

1. Everything, everywhere, all at once. Pretty rare I finish a movie and go “well I’ve never seen that before”. A heartfelt family coming of age story, mixed with an immigrant making a modest but happy life mixed with inter dimensional warfare and multiverse possibilities of your life absolutely nailed in the execution. Some bonkers fight scenes and crazy deep concepts given simplified and relatable placeholders. On paper this shouldn’t work at all but somehow it all comes together to be funny, poignant, sad, entertaining and brilliant. Michelle Yeoh gotta be an Oscar front runner.

Without giving too much thought or analysis into it, I feel 2022 was another wonderful yeat for television, but another very mediocre/uninspired fare for movies/cinematic productions.

Unfortunately due to the plethora of steaming services and and the covid pandemic (which is still a massive global problem) it seems to be set that way for the short term future (if not longer)

Films

Using the Letterboxd release dates, which excludes some films I might have included in here otherwise (Petite Maman, Happening)

1. Tár
  2. Aftersun
  3. The Banshees of Inisherin
  4. Crimes of the Future
  5. Nope
  6. Fire of Love
  7. Top Gun Maverick
  8. Bones and All
  9. Speak No Evil
  10. Everything Everywhere All At Once
Honourable Mentions: Triangle of Sadness, Jackass Forever, X/Pearl, Athena

Television

Excluding limited series (We Own The City, The English, This is Going to Hurt)

1. Industry, season 2
  2. Andor, season 1
  3. Pachinko, season 1
  4. Atlanta, season 4
  5. Better Call Saul, season 6
  6. The Bear, season 1
  7. Reservation Dogs, season 2
  8. Barry, season 3
  9. Severance, season 1
  10. The White Lotus, season 2

Honourable Mentions: The Rehearsal, Ramy, My Brilliant Friend, Slow Horses

Without giving too much thought or analysis into it, I feel 2022 was another wonderful yeat for television, but another very mediocre/uninspired fare for movies/cinematic productions.

Unfortunately due to the plethora of steaming services and and the covid pandemic (which is still a massive global problem) it seems to be set that way for the short term future (if not longer)
Obviously personal opinion but I dont think that’s really true.

We had the innovative (Everything, Everywhere all at once) we had the blockbuster popcorn fare (top Gun and avatar) we had a really great comic book movie (The Batman) we had a lot of good indie stuff and some good studio backed stuff.

I actually think it was a great year for horror as well.

It is a bit difficult to find all the good stuff now, that’s for sure.

Yeah I’ve rated 2022 fairly high on average so far.

I found 2021 was weaker due to studios postposting a lot of their films, but I feel like we’re back on the right track now with full releases and less disrupted filming schedules.

10. All quiet on the western front
9. Elvis
8. The Fallout
7. Prey
6. Emily the criminal
I looked up The Fallout; sounds like something I’d enjoy, so am going to add it to the list 👍🏾

I must be in the minority on BigFooty with Everything Everywhere All at Once. I hated it.

I’m fine with that because a film like that is always going to be super polarising, and of people I’ve spoken to in real life, most also don’t like it, but it seems to be a hit online.

I looked up The Fallout; sounds like something I’d enjoy, so am going to add it to the list 👍🏾

I must be in the minority on BigFooty with Everything Everywhere All at Once. I hated it.

I’m fine with that because a film like that is always going to be super polarising, and of people I’ve spoken to in real life, most also don’t like it, but it seems to be a hit online.
Nah I can absolutely see that. It’s absolutely bonkers and I think I’ve said it shouldn’t work (like all the ticks to access the multiverse are absurd) but it just landed right for me.

I’ve said what you’ve said there about Mother! I ******* hated it but I love that they made it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I can absolutely see that. It’s absolutely bonkers and I think I’ve said it shouldn’t work (like all the ticks to access the multiverse are absurd) but it just landed right for me.

I’ve said what you’ve said there about Mother! I ******* hated it but I love that they made it.
If you watched Everything Everywhere on a plane or in a situation where you were interupted, I can see the experience being materially different.

Not saying that would be the case for the poster but it can happen.

Not my favorite movies year, a lot of the movies I've seen recently which are up there in favoritism for Oscars didn't really click with me like I'd hoped. Not sure if I've forgotten anything but it looks something like this

1. Top Gun: Maverick
2. Barbarian
3. Elvis
4. Nope
5. The Menu
6. Banshees of Inisheraan
7. Amsterdam
8. The Fabelmans
9. Everything Everywhere All at Once
10. Bodies Bodies Bodies

First few are pretty interchangeable and I haven't rewatched any of these at all so things could change in 5 years. We should do a thread for that actually, what was your top 5 of the year 5 years ago now after a bit of time.
I should have a placeholder for Babylon because I have a good feeling I will enjoy it, guess I could save it for the 2023 top ten if it makes it. By that metric though Licorice Pizza should be this year because I saw it NYD last year, anyway.

First few are pretty interchangeable and I haven't rewatched any of these at all so things could change in 5 years. We should do a thread for that actually, what was your top 5 of the year 5 years ago now after a bit of time.
I like that idea.

I’ll trawl the board later.

If you watched Everything Everywhere on a plane or in a situation where you were interupted, I can see the experience being materially different.

Not saying that would be the case for the poster but it can happen.
Definitely a cinema movie. In the theatre I laughed, cried and gave it 5 stars. On the rewatch at home I found it fatiguing and a little over sentimental, downgraded to 3.5

Rounded it back up to 4 stars for this list due to its originality and all the effort that went into it.

Don't hate it, but it's just a 7/10 family movie with a bit of creativity, even if it's kinda just ripping off Jet Li's The One.

The fact the whole cast are getting oscar noms, even a golden globe win is hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back