2023 Academy Awards Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The 94th Academy award nominations will be announced on Jan 24th US time and the awards are on March 12th.

Nominees for the majors below

BEST PICTURE
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
Martin McDonagh, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Steven Spielberg, “The Fabelmans”
Todd Field, “Tár”
Ruben Ostlund, “Triangle of Sadness”

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, “Tár”
Ana de Armas, “Blonde”
Andrea Riseborough, “To Leslie”
Michelle Williams, “The Fabelmans”
Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST ACTOR
Austin Butler, “Elvis”
Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”
Paul Mescal, “Aftersun”
Bill Nighy, “Living”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Angela Bassett, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Hong Chau, “The Whale”
Kerry Condon, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Jamie Lee Curtis, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brian Tyree Henry, “Causeway”
Judd Hirsch, “The Fabelmans”
Barry Keoghan, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths”
“Elvis”
“Empire of Light”
“Tár”

EDITING
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
“Living”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Women Talking”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Tár”
“Triangle of Sadness”

Last edited:
Man EEAAO with a ******* SWEEP.

Still haven’t seen Tar or the Whale so I’m real glad with Yeoh and probably a little torn on Fraser but you can’t begrudge him with that story.

Curtis suprised me but lifetime achievements are real and we know it.

Pretty thrilled to see genuine innovation rewarded.

Last edited:

Have no issue with someone getting a career Oscar, but the role needs to at least be somewhat substantive. Think you could have replaced Jamie Lee with a no-name actor and gotten pretty much the same result. Just a hard one to rationalise when Stephanie Hsu is right there, let alone the other three nominated.

Will be interesting to see how we look back at EEAAO. It's now in the highest tier of Oscar films to be recognised, and think it's above-the-line sweep is even more impressive than Titanic or Return of the King, and that's pretty wild?

The Academy really needs to get over their war fetishes. AQOTWF is a good film, but the 1930 original still holds up and 'Come and See' is still the greatest anti-war film ever made. I also just hate that score lol.

Have no issue with someone getting a career Oscar, but the role needs to at least be somewhat substantive. Think you could have replaced Jamie Lee with a no-name actor and gotten pretty much the same result. Just a hard one to rationalise when Stephanie Hsu is right there, let alone the other three nominated.

Will be interesting to see how we look back at EEAAO. It's now in the highest tier of Oscar films to be recognised, and think it's above-the-line sweep is even more impressive than Titanic or Return of the King, and that's pretty wild?

The Academy really needs to get over their war fetishes. AQOTWF is a good film, but the 1930 original still holds up and 'Come and See' is still the greatest anti-war film ever made. I also just hate that score lol.
Totally agree on AQOTWF score, genuinely took me out of he movie.

I mean, aren't the Oscars looked back on pretty poorly now anyway? The past ten years especially it's lost the plot.

I mean, aren't the Oscars looked back on pretty poorly now anyway?

Critically yes, but they've also just awarded some straight-up crowd pleasers.

Don't think the voting body knows whether to award something that most people can go and enjoy (Green Book) versus something that only your cinephiles that go to an independent cinema will see (Moonlight).

And so they're relieved when something like EEAAO comes along and straddles the line between both.

I got an idea, given that they are supposed to be the BEST in their category how about rewarding that (yes i know its subjective but still)

My mate Bill Simmons always said the Oscars should be awarded 5 years after the release date and i reckon thats a great idea because there is time to reflect

I got an idea, given that they are supposed to be the BEST in their category how about rewarding that (yes i know its subjective but still)

My mate Bill Simmons always said the Oscars should be awarded 5 years after the release date and i reckon thats a great idea because there is time to reflect
I would ditch the filler nominees for BP, scrap the Best International Feature category and have the ten best films in BP regardless of their language.

I found the score to be excellent, especially in the first third of the film where it immersed in the film and foretold the dread that was was to come.

It's likely that we loved/hated it for the exact same reason, it was unnerving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found the score to be excellent, especially in the first third of the film where it immersed in the film and foretold the dread that was was to come.

It's likely that we loved/hated it for the exact same reason, it was unnerving.
I didn’t find it unnerving at all I found it oddly comical.

Similar to banshees except that banshees is supposed to be “funny” whereas all quiet is not, at all.

It's easily the best since 2019, not that that's saying a heap.
Not sure if films are getting worse, or I'm becoming more discerning, or films just don't do it for me anymore, but it has been a long time since it has been a great year in film for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back