2023 Academy Awards Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The 94th Academy award nominations will be announced on Jan 24th US time and the awards are on March 12th.

Nominees for the majors below

BEST PICTURE
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
Martin McDonagh, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Steven Spielberg, “The Fabelmans”
Todd Field, “Tár”
Ruben Ostlund, “Triangle of Sadness”

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, “Tár”
Ana de Armas, “Blonde”
Andrea Riseborough, “To Leslie”
Michelle Williams, “The Fabelmans”
Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST ACTOR
Austin Butler, “Elvis”
Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”
Paul Mescal, “Aftersun”
Bill Nighy, “Living”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Angela Bassett, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Hong Chau, “The Whale”
Kerry Condon, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Jamie Lee Curtis, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brian Tyree Henry, “Causeway”
Judd Hirsch, “The Fabelmans”
Barry Keoghan, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths”
“Elvis”
“Empire of Light”
“Tár”

EDITING
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
“Living”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Women Talking”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Tár”
“Triangle of Sadness”

Last edited:

I don’t think its Best Picture will necessarily age badly, per se, but it’s weird that this is the one the Oscars went with the “cutting edge” independent film on. Doing so well in the acting categories is a curious choice, especially with the better acting showcases (and better films generally) of Tar and The Banshees of Inisherin.

Entertaining movie and a crowdpleaser, worse has won (one need only look at last year).

I don’t think its Best Picture will necessarily age badly, per se, but it’s weird that this is the one the Oscars went with the “cutting edge” independent film on. Doing so well in the acting categories is a curious choice, especially with the better acting showcases (and better films generally) of Tar and The Banshees of Inisherin.

Entertaining movie and a crowdpleaser, worse has won (one need only look at last year).
You just knew that when Academy started awarding AQWF with best score, screenplay that Banshees had no chance. Unfair, because it deserved more. Thought Colin Farrell would've had a chance.

I didn't think EEAAO was anything special, but obviously I'm in the minority. But surely even its biggest fan must see it sweeping basically all the big awards as a bit over the top?

And Curtis beating Kerry Condon is laughable.

I didn't think EEAAO was anything special, but obviously I'm in the minority. But surely even its biggest fan must see it sweeping basically all the big awards as a bit over the top?

And Curtis beating Kerry Condon is laughable.

Is it the best movie ever? No. Is it even the best movie of the past few years? Also no. Did Yeoh and Curtis put in performances of all time? Definitely not.

But Oscars are judged by the movies of that particular voting period, and not of all time. In this case you can understand why it swept, because the other contenders didn't demand automatic selection as the winner. And Ke Huy Quan definitely was not a controversial win even if you didn't like the movie.

Yet to watch it also; people say it’s a mind mess? Is it?

It's easy enough to follow and is difficult to pigeonhole in a genre - the title is reflective of what it tries to do and I must admit it's not flawless, but certainly the originality cannot be downplayed. It's refreshing and I am glad it won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it the best movie ever? No. Is it even the best movie of the past few years? Also no. Did Yeoh and Curtis put in performances of all time? Definitely not.

But Oscars are judged by the movies of that particular voting period, and not of all time.
In this case you can understand why it swept, because the other contenders didn't demand automatic selection as the winner. And Ke Huy Quan definitely was not a controversial win even if you didn't like the movie.
Are you sure about that?

Are you sure about that?

Are we measuring up EEAAO against Banshees of Inisherin or The Godfather?

Not sure why you're that upset about it, perhaps JLC was a bit lucky but she did win a few awards leading up to it and as you know often the acting categories are for a body of work (eg Leo winning for The Revenant which might not even make a top 5 Leo performance of all time).

Are we measuring up EEAAO against Banshees of Inisherin or The Godfather?

Not sure why you're that upset about it, perhaps JLC was a bit lucky but she did win a few awards leading up to it and as you know often the acting categories are for a body of work (eg Leo winning for The Revenant which might not even make a top 5 Leo performance of all time).
whoosh

images

EEAAO looks like Greece in Greek

Deadset though, i love Tommy Cruise but how the * did TG2 get nom'd for best pic ???

Same reason why Avatar 2 also got nominated - the Academy wanted to be perceived more 'mainstream' and 'in touch' even if realistically they were never a chance.

I turned EEAAO off half way through, genuinely have no idea what the reaction is for.

Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant with a s**t job, I don't get really toey about watching films about immigrants with s**t jobs. Kinda feels a bit like tokenism to me?

I've always watched a lot of arthouse and foreign films anyway, it's nice seeing stories that aren't mainstream getting attention, but again, seems a bit tokenistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back