2023 Academy Awards Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The 94th Academy award nominations will be announced on Jan 24th US time and the awards are on March 12th.

Nominees for the majors below

BEST PICTURE
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
Martin McDonagh, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Steven Spielberg, “The Fabelmans”
Todd Field, “Tár”
Ruben Ostlund, “Triangle of Sadness”

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, “Tár”
Ana de Armas, “Blonde”
Andrea Riseborough, “To Leslie”
Michelle Williams, “The Fabelmans”
Michelle Yeoh, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST ACTOR
Austin Butler, “Elvis”
Colin Farrell, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brendan Fraser, “The Whale”
Paul Mescal, “Aftersun”
Bill Nighy, “Living”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Angela Bassett, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”
Hong Chau, “The Whale”
Kerry Condon, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Jamie Lee Curtis, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”
Stephanie Hsu, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brendan Gleeson, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Brian Tyree Henry, “Causeway”
Judd Hirsch, “The Fabelmans”
Barry Keoghan, “The Banshees of Inisherin”
Ke Huy Quan, “Everything Everywhere All at Once”

CINEMATOGRAPHY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths”
“Elvis”
“Empire of Light”
“Tár”

EDITING
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Elvis”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
“All Quiet on the Western Front”
“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”
“Living”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Women Talking”

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
“The Banshees of Inisherin”
“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Tár”
“Triangle of Sadness”

Last edited:
Yeah I get that, I'm personally far from a fan of the film myself and did wonder whether (race aside) the film's style just wouldn't be as much to the taste of older voters, but the awards performance (particularly in the USA) has dispelled that doubt. It is set to be the most prominent winner sweep we've seen since the 5 nom era. I've accepted it and moved on. There isn't really a viable contender either, Banshees, Tar, Maverick, AQOTWF and Fabelmans aren't going to get it done.
I think its absolutely sensational and a worthy winner (albeit without seeing Banshees yet) but yeh similar thought process, Asian cast is way less of an issue as before but it being essentially sci-fi and a pretty crazy narrative and story telling choice i assumed would be rejected by the academy.

Im happy to be proven wrong and its defs the front runner now.

I think its absolutely sensational and a worthy winner (albeit without seeing Banshees yet) but yeh similar thought process, Asian cast is way less of an issue as before but it being essentially sci-fi and a pretty crazy narrative and story telling choice i assumed would be rejected by the academy.

Im happy to be proven wrong and its defs the front runner now.
This is definitely a good instinct to have traditionally or earlier this awards season, but at this point it has passed that test and is happening, a runaway train.

Re-watched it the other week. It had been nearly year since I first saw it - early screening, packed house, Friday night buzzed as all hell - and I enjoyed the heck out of it then but as time passed and after seeing other films it kinda dropped away from me to a point where I might have pushed back against it winning Best Pic.

But re-watching it made me fall in love with it again. Truly think it's doing some pretty amazing things, especially the character work in-between all the craziness which I don't think I appreciated enough when I first saw it. Still have Tar and Banshees (from this list) over it as my personal favourites of 2022, but don't have anything against it winning nor Yeoh over Cate - even if I think the latter is the better performance.

Stephanie Hsu

She'll get hers in 30 years time.

Honestly thought Bassett would've won given Jamie Lee Curtis and Hsu probably would'v cancelled each other out. At least Hsu in second. But Curtis? Nah, her role was minor at that.

I also thought Bassett would win too. Thought JLC and Hsu would take votes off each other like in Brownlows of the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious as there's Best supporting actor, actress and best actress for Everything Everywhere All at Once. Who would be the "main" actor in the movie that could've got best actor. James Hong wasn't in the movie as much as Quan was. Harry Shum Jr?

She'll get hers in 30 years time.

I also thought Bassett would win too. Thought JLC and Hsu would take votes off each other like in Brownlows of the past.
Really think JLC just got it on merit/fame alone. Can't argue she was influential then Hsu nor Bassett. It ll be a controversial pick tbh, especially with Bassett.

EEAO and All Quiet on the Western Front for Best Picture. None of the others nominated should push these over. Elvis was good, but not in the category of All Quiet on the Western Front. Got this nagging feeling The Fablemans will get awards.

EEAO and All Quiet on the Western Front for Best Picture. None of the others nominated should push these over. Elvis was good, but not in the category of All Quiet on the Western Front. Got this nagging feeling The Fablemans will get awards.
I wouldn't have thought All Quiet was a realistic chance for best picture, but it seems to be winning everything.

Has a movie on its' third adaptation won as many awards as All Quiet Western Front?

It was anticipated to do well but picking up some awards the bookies didn't anticipate must be a surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back