Game Day 2023 AFL Draft Live discussion Rd1, 2-4 and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the F would we trade out for another defender, when Hawkins is nearing retirement.
We've got a better Nate Caddy already in Ollie Henry.

I rate him more than most on here, but he's not a Hawkins replacement. I don't think anyone is really, he's just that good...but even at his absolute best Caddy's going to need a very good partner, like how Buddy needed Roughead.

2nd or 3rd tall IMO, and he'll probably be a very good one...but we've already got that, and that won't enough to be replacing a legend in Tomahawk.

And you're being short sighted, I care about any club getting an unfair competitive advantage.

Suns will come good at some point, it's inevitable.
It isn't unfair though. They pay fair value on draft night via pick points and pay a premium at trade time for those points.

He'll fit in well in Brown & Gold then.

With that being said, if he can back it up, more power to him IMO. He's a superstar in waiting and might tear us a new one on a few Easter Mondays over the years.

It's always a bit of a paradox in our sport. We ask for more 'characters', and then the moment any player is anything more than a robot, we tear them down for being a 'FIGJAM'.

Yeah, he's going to be a good fit at the Hawks I reckon.

I think someone can still be a 'character' whilst exercising humility, especially when they're about to start swimming with the big fish.

I saw him on the lead in one game and mark inside F50, and the way he nudged out his opponent and marked it easy he did look like he could become a Key Forward, Hawkins style... same sort of body positioning I mean.

He will be a Key Defender though imho, and very likely to make it. I don't think SDK can be a Key Forward. But it might be two very good key pillars of defence. Stingy defences win flags, only thing is COS is not that stingy lol...
Was he the player they said likes to intercept and get it forward? A bit like Stewart?

It isn't unfair though. They pay fair value on draft night via pick points and pay a premium at trade time for those points.
Ah yes 3 picks in the 40s definitely worth pick 14, tell me about that "Fair" value.

In a couple of years J.Henry, SDK and COS playing together (for a long time) in defence is an exciting prospect. Three mobile, athletic interceptors.

I wish COS a long and successful career at Geelong.

But didn’t 9/10 people on here say that we could play Esava with those players as a ‘mobile, athletic interceptor’ because it upset the balance and there wasn’t enough room for them all?

Evens out at trade time. They're always trading with points in mind, and for that probably are somewhat losers in most trades as points accumulation costs them in negotiations.

Very meh that they've got 3 inside 15. Couldn't care less actually, if we're worrying about the Suns we have bigger issues as a club.
Problem is the AFL closed the point stacking 'loophole' years ago by limiting the total number of picks to match the free spots on the list. Then teams started delisting their out of contract main list players to rookie list them so they could add extra picks and then the AFL brought in live trading and we're just back to where we started when they did the points system eight years ago. Tonight Gold Coast immediately traded out three top 20-30 picks for a bunch of late picks before Reid was even taken. And Brisbane did the same thing last year to get Ashcroft and Fletcher.

That said, Gold Coasat had pick 4 to start with so worst case they'd probably get Walter and nothing or they'd have done a trade and still got Read and Rogers

But didn’t 9/10 people on here say that we could play Esava with those players as a ‘mobile, athletic interceptor’ because it upset the balance and there wasn’t enough room for them all?
You're talking to the wrong person, I never advocated that and actually the prevailing feeling after Esava's departure was indeed that we were a key defender short. He can play up forward too.

Who did you prefer with that selection?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might show the difference between the two
For a tall, O'Sullivan is incredibly comfortable with ball in hand. Given he moves so well, he can work out of tight spots and stand up in tackles to dish off effective disposals, displaying great composure in high-pressure contested situations. A neat ball user by hand and foot, he averaged over 20 disposals, seven marks and four rebound 50s with the Bushrangers, hardly looking out of place as a rebound or playmaking outlet.

Plenty did... I wasn't one of them... but I will say that COS is an 18 year old key back... it may take 2 or 3 years for him to be ingrained in the 22... Kolo may be toast by then and it might just be one in and one out.

+ Henry has foot issue + we just have zero key backs on the list as a backup now Sav is gone.

We need key backs and forwards... We just must have like COS more than Caddy.... and that's fair enough I reckon.

Also COS really should be a better player than Sav.

That pick is the one that's pissed me off the most tonight. Saints getting Wilson at 18 is just infuriating. I wish we could have found a way to get up to that pick - he's who I wanted the most and was hoping we were going to trade back to get him.

Happy with COS, but Wilson at 18 is a massive steal and I really hate the Saints right now for getting him so cheaply, lol.

North with pick 19 have taken

William McCabe

Hawks to match perhaps.

And they did

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back