Game Day 2023 AFL Draft Live discussion Rd1, 2-4 and Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after only holding our R1 with and basically the last picks in the draft after trading in Henry/Bruhn last year... We (before bids) got back to a normal draft hand with now having #8, #25 & 31.

Only really lost Sav to do that.

Select wisely please... Hit on these mid-range picks and it'll be a real bonus to add to our new toys which still is J Clark (due to being injured) & now COS.

I wish COS a long and successful career at Geelong.

But didn’t 9/10 people on here say that we could play Esava with those players as a ‘mobile, athletic interceptor’ because it upset the balance and there wasn’t enough room for them all?

Esava upset the balance because of his lack of skill and lack of game nous.

Ah yes 3 picks in the 40s definitely worth pick 14, tell me about that "Fair" value.
Now who's being short sighted. All clubs have access to the same DVI calculations. In a couple years time if Mooney or Wojcinski's kids are bid on at pick 14 we can use the exact same picks to get the exact number of points.

Also; direct me to your displeasure at Geelong getting Bowes and Pick 7 for a chump pick last year.
Or Hawkins for Pick 41.

Every club gets a lick of the ice cream at some point.
Problem is the AFL closed the point stacking 'loophole' years ago by limiting the total number of picks to match the free spots on the list. Then teams started delisting their out of contract main list players to rookie list them so they could add extra picks and then the AFL brought in live trading and we're just back to where we started when they did the points system eight years ago. Tonight Gold Coast immediately traded out three top 20-30 picks for a bunch of late picks before Reid was even taken. And Brisbane did the same thing last year to get Ashcroft and Fletcher.

That said, Gold Coasat had pick 4 to start with so worst case they'd probably get Walter and nothing or they'd have done a trade and still got Read and Rogers
The system may have flaws but it isn't unfair. All clubs have access to the same draft and DVI capital as everyone else. F/S or academy talent worth picking is a crapshoot

Gold Coast using late picks to get an academy player isn't worth worrying about.

As expected, Adelaide get Edwards. Damn they've had a good draft.

Now who's being short sighted. All clubs have access to the same DVI calculations. In a couple years time if Mooney or Wojcinski's kids are bid on at pick 14 we can use the exact same picks to get the exact number of points.

Also; direct me to your displeasure at Geelong getting Bowes and Pick 7 for a chump pick last year.
Or Hawkins for Pick 41.

Every club gets a lick of the ice cream at some point.

The system may have flaws but it isn't unfair. All clubs have access to the same draft and DVI capital as everyone else. F/S or academy talent worth picking is a crapshoot

Gold Coast using late picks to get an academy player isn't worth worrying about.
Lick lick.
As expected, Adelaide get Edwards. Damn they've had a good draft.
They've killed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought we could have tried our F1 to get Wilson
I thought that was a chance too.

Maybe they think we have a lot of forward runners on our list?

I have no concept as to where to from here. Maybe it is needs based? We now have 2 second round picks.

We get to regroup and play early tomorrow night

If we want C Edwards, we probably need to trade with North soonish...
Didn't want to say anything, but Charlie Edwards is my cousin.. would of loved to see him play at Geelong, but to see him get drafted is a good thing, was afraid that Collingwood was very keen on him, but rather him go to Adelaide than Collingwood

North have wasted their picks as expected, lol. Don't expect Dawson or Hardemann to make it. Goad should be a gun though.

T

thanks for that.can you tell me where these picks go do we get these?

BID MADE Geelong has bid on Ethan Read. Gold Coast can match using picks 34, 38 and 40,
No that’s not how it works
They already had 34,38 and 40
They all get chewed up with the matched bid
So those picks turn to dust

T

thanks for that.can you tell me where these picks go do we get these?

BID MADE Geelong has bid on Ethan Read. Gold Coast can match using picks 34, 38 and 40,
34, 38 and 40 points value get used so they get taken off the pick board and the picks behind them get moved up the board so to speak.

We get nothing for it but do move our picks up the board

GO Catters

Yeah I mostly agree with this, just not sure about the live trading rules allowing for point stacking again given the AFL immediately closed it off in 2015. Not sure what the answer is though, Gold Coast and GWS in particular need something since they don't have access to any F/S players and I'm a big fan of keeping that rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back