News 2023 All Australian Team Named - Congrats Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Kept Charlie to one goal with the help of two other defenders. Couldn't take him by himself could he?

It's a team game. He did a solid job.

Don't disrespect him as a player but JW is better.

Wilkie is a very good player and weiters year wasn’t that good .. I don’t think Wilkie , andrews or weiters had AA seasons , even Stewart was below his normal self .. rest of the AA side looks decent

No issue with the selections.
Charlie best KPP in the comp atm and Cripps/Weitering have played better in previous seasons.
Weitering arguably a little stiff but there are a few I'd place in a similar bracket to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On afl360 they asked Toby if he could play with one of the AA team. His answer "Charlie Curnow"

Yep if you based it on the last 10 weeks Weitering should be named.

But his first half of the year was really poor.
Really poor is a bit harsh. Got coaches votes in four games before our charge including losses to the swans and dees.

Was more a spell of about 4 or 5 weeks where he struggled. Coincided with the period where he spoke out about being scammed.

Really poor is a bit harsh. Got coaches votes in four games before our charge including losses to the swans and dees.

Was more a spell of about 4 or 5 weeks where he struggled. Coincided with the period where he spoke out about being scammed.
Had 7 intercept marks and kept Franklin to get 7 touches and no goals in r11. Kept Larkey to 5 touches no goals in r5. Hawkins to one goal in round 2. Lost 1 one on one contest between round 2 and 13. Weitering having a poor 1st half of the year is a myth. He had a few off games and wasn't dominant with his intercepting but his defensive work was still solid

A lot of recency bias for Weiters in here.

His first 13-14 rounds were shocking just like the whole team.

Charlie is the only out and our AA from our team.
Think there is a bit of mayo on that comment I feel.
Up to round 16 he had lost 6 out of 55 one on one contests. 3 of which came in round 1.
So from round 2 onwards, he lost 3 one on one contests in 14 games... And he's the only defender in the AA squad that plays on the oppositions best tall forward weekly.

Not one of the back 6 they've named plays on the opponents best player, in fact, very few of them play on a player at all, but rely heavily on teammates to wrestle/block players like Charlie so the can float 3rd man up. All great players in their own right. But without Nathan Murphy, Josh Battle, SDK and co, wouldn't be half the player Weiters is.

At some point I just wish they would pick the best Full Back in the game to play in the Full Back role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back