Live Event 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup - KAYO

Remove this Banner Ad

Just noticed that most of the tournament is actually played in the Philipines. Anyone else think that's kinda messed up? Responsible for one of the ugliest moments in FIBA history and then given a WC 5 years later. I know it's a huge market but still... wow.

Just noticed that most of the tournament is actually played in the Philipines. Anyone else think that's kinda messed up? Responsible for one of the ugliest moments in FIBA history and then given a WC 5 years later. I know it's a huge market but still... wow.

Its strange Australia has never hosted one, especially as we’ve always been around the mark, but we don’t seem to have put in for it either

Yep going to be interesting to see how we cover Jock. Green and Reath will need to play more minutes than they would have been initially expected to. I have faith in Giddey and his high basketball IQ.

Giddy Up !

He would be a household name in the US by now if he didn't play for perhaps the 2nd smallest market in the US (Oklahoma City, Portland number 1)

The knock in Giddey coming out of college was his shooting, but he has worked really hard on it !

He has greatly impressed highly respected and knowledgeable hoops journalists in the US like Bill Simmons who is a big fan of Josh and his amazing IQ and vision

Would be a little concerned that we wouldn't get the crowds needed. Also would probably have issues with having large enough stadiums.

Crowds might be a problem if they charge ridiculous amounts like they do for the international games. It’s even full price when the C team plays in regional cities…

But arena wise, Sydney 21,000. Perth, Melbourne 15,000. Brisbane, Adelaide around 12-13,000. Does Indonesia and the Philippines have more, larger stadiums than Australia?

Can't wait for this World Cup

Definitely been spoiled in recent years with time zones- 2019, 2021 and 2023 all held in China/Japan. Things won't be this good again for a while- upcoming major tournys Paris 2024, Qatar 2027 and LA 2028

They already had the hosting rights before the incident but they should've been stripped of them afterwards.
Pretty weak for FIBA to not have the balls to do that.

How do we watch the world cup games? is it on Kayo?
Every game on Kayo and the ESPN app for Foxtel/Fetch ESPN subscribers (ESPN proper showing 4 games most nights over both their channels).

Kayo Freebies showing Boomers, Team USA games and all of knockout stage.

Edit: And now Kayo's website has updated to say they've only got "the best of the World Cup", so I'm guessing they've only got the ESPN linear games after all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember this being a talking point when that weak penalty was handed out

They already had the hosting rights before the incident but they should've been stripped of them afterwards.
Pretty weak for FIBA to not have the balls to do that.

Agreed. No way can they guarantee player safety - either for visiting teams for Philippines home matches or the Australian team when they end up there after the first round.

I hope nothing majorly bad happens at the World Cup, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a litany of crowd trouble at Philippines based matches.

They should still be serving a suspension for their conduct, and yet they’re hosting a World Cup (which should’ve been taken off them)

Edit: And now Kayo's website has updated to say they've only got "the best of the World Cup", so I'm guessing they've only got the ESPN linear games after all.

I noticed the change too

What are the "linear games" eg roughly how many games?

I noticed the change too

What are the "linear games" eg roughly how many games?
I meant the 4 a night shown on ESPN and ESPN2 (except Saturday when ESPN2 is showing UFC stuff).

Friday Aug 25
6:00pm Australia vs Finland (ESPN)
7:00pm Lebanon vs Latvia (ESPN2)
10:00pm Japan vs Germany (ESPN)
11:15pm France vs Canada (ESPN2)

Saturday Aug 26
6:15pm South Sudan vs Puerto Rico (ESPN)
10:25pm New Zealand vs USA (ESPN)

Sunday Aug 27
6:30pm Germany vs Australia (ESPN)
7:30pm Canada vs Lebanon (ESPN2)
10:00pm Finland vs Japan (ESPN)
11:15pm Latvia vs France (ESPN2)

Monday Aug 28
5:45pm South Sudan vs China (ESPN2)
6:30pm Jordan vs New Zealand (ESPN)
9:15pm Slovenia vs Georgia (ESPN2)
10:25pm USA vs Greece (ESPN)

Tuesday Aug 29
5:15pm Finland vs Germany (ESPN)
7:30pm France vs Lebanon (ESPN2)
9:10pm Australia vs Japan (ESPN)
11:15pm Latvia vs Canada (ESPN2)

Wednesday Aug 30
5:45pm Serbia vs South Sudan (ESPN2)
6:25pm Jordan vs USA (ESPN)
9:15pm Cape Verde vs Slovenia (ESPN2)
10:25pm New Zealand vs Greece (ESPN)

All times AEST.

After that, 4 games a night in the 2nd round and all the knockout phase games including 5-8 classification games.

I meant the 4 a night shown on ESPN and ESPN2 (except Saturday when ESPN2 is showing UFC stuff).

Friday Aug 25
6:00pm Australia vs Finland (ESPN)
7:00pm Lebanon vs Latvia (ESPN2)
10:00pm Japan vs Germany (ESPN)
11:15pm France vs Canada (ESPN2)

Saturday Aug 26
6:15pm South Sudan vs Puerto Rico (ESPN)
10:25pm New Zealand vs USA (ESPN)

Sunday Aug 27
6:30pm Germany vs Australia (ESPN)
7:30pm Canada vs Lebanon (ESPN2)
10:00pm Finland vs Japan (ESPN)
11:15pm Latvia vs France (ESPN2)

Monday Aug 28
5:45pm South Sudan vs China (ESPN2)
6:30pm Jordan vs New Zealand (ESPN)
9:15pm Slovenia vs Georgia (ESPN2)
10:25pm USA vs Greece (ESPN)

Tuesday Aug 29
5:15pm Finland vs Germany (ESPN)
7:30pm France vs Lebanon (ESPN2)
9:10pm Australia vs Japan (ESPN)
11:15pm Latvia vs Canada (ESPN2)

Wednesday Aug 30
5:45pm Serbia vs South Sudan (ESPN2)
6:25pm Jordan vs USA (ESPN)
9:15pm Cape Verde vs Slovenia (ESPN2)
10:25pm New Zealand vs Greece (ESPN)

All times AEST.

After that, 4 games a night in the 2nd round and all the knockout phase games including 5-8 classification games.

How is one meant to watch Sotto?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back