List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gresham ticks every Carlton circa 2005-2020 box.

Significant injury history:thumbsu:
High profile :thumbsu:
Overpaid :thumbsu:
Went for Blues as a kid :thumbsu:
Played well against us :thumbsu:
Questionable work ethic :thumbsu:
We're sure we can recuperate him:thumbsu:
poty contender

I like Marchbank he'e quality when he can move freely, turns 27 in December , so its a tough call, if were're lucky we may get a couple of uninterrupted seasons yet, who knows?. All our perenially injured players are a risk going forward it will be a delicate & difficult decison an awakward balacing act given their age they 'll be prone to injuries, Docherty 30 in October , Martin and Gov both 28, Williams 29, we need think about refreshing gradually as we more talent and importantly durability in the list.
27 isn't old and if he comes good we can get 4-5 years of quality out of him.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The speed at which some on this board want to trade young players is baffling.

6 weeks ago people wanted Motlop traded, now people want C. Durdin traded. These guys are talent kids, playing one of the hardest roles in the game and have already had multiple games each that have shown the have more than enough ability to develop into very very good small forwards.

The midfield debate is a tricky one, we'd all love to pick up players like Flanders and especially Holmes, but these guys are both already best 22 players at their clubs, more so Holmes.
It's very hard to convince them on moves to a team where, injury free, their spot in the starting 22 is far from guarantied.

We already saw what happened to Setterfield and Stocker last year, as well as most likely Dow this year. They are AFL quality players, but cannot get a start in our midfield.
The dream of having a starting AFL quality and ready midfield lining up in the VFL every week, just in case a spot opens up due to injury is impossible in a salary cap based competition.

So developing players like Carroll and Binns are very important, as they as still at points of their careers that they are happy to do the time in the twos.

As far as depth in the midfield goes longer term, Hollands played most of his best junior footy as a 50/50 inside/outside midfielder, so his progression into the center is entirely plausible. Acres we know can play inside if needs be. We have Binns developing the wing role nicely in the twos, LOB wing role for 1 more year of cover. Carroll I believe has genuine ability to make it in either wing or midfield role.
Twin father son brothers coming next year to also fill up wing roles.
Cunners, Fog, Williams and Doch all have the ability to play midfield if body permits and the requirement is there.

This is why Cook has been pushing the party line that we are looking to continue to build from the draft. Our TPP is not in a position that we can simply recruit guns from other clubs, and on top of that, our list profile doesn't really entice a lot of young guns from other clubs either, as they don't look at the injury list when they access whether or not they'll be getting game time. They look at the entire list.

It might seem boring, and I'm not saying the if the opportunity to recruit a significant upgrade presents itself we won't take it. But they way we are structured at the moment and with the contracts we've committed to going forward. Finding a way to sign Fog, Cunner and Marchbank to 1-2 year small deals and hopefully finding a way to keep SOS are solid goals. Philp, if he can be enticed to move onto a rookie contract would definitely be worth keeping for another year or two, to give him a chance to get his body right.

Plowman - delist
Ed - retire
Honey - Delist
Dow - trade
Fisher - trade
S. Durdin - delist
Philp - attempt to rookie
SOS and Gov would love to keep both, but ball will be in their court as the money we can offer vs what they will be offered will be significantly different.

6 weeks ago people wanted Motlop traded, now people want C. Durdin traded. These guys are talent kids, playing one of the hardest roles in the game and have already had multiple games each that have shown the have more than enough ability to develop into very very good small forwards.

The midfield debate is a tricky one, we'd all love to pick up players like Flanders and especially Holmes, but these guys are both already best 22 players at their clubs, more so Holmes.
It's very hard to convince them on moves to a team where, injury free, their spot in the starting 22 is far from guarantied.

We already saw what happened to Setterfield and Stocker last year, as well as most likely Dow this year. They are AFL quality players, but cannot get a start in our midfield.
The dream of having a starting AFL quality and ready midfield lining up in the VFL every week, just in case a spot opens up due to injury is impossible in a salary cap based competition.

So developing players like Carroll and Binns are very important, as they as still at points of their careers that they are happy to do the time in the twos.

As far as depth in the midfield goes longer term, Hollands played most of his best junior footy as a 50/50 inside/outside midfielder, so his progression into the center is entirely plausible. Acres we know can play inside if needs be. We have Binns developing the wing role nicely in the twos, LOB wing role for 1 more year of cover. Carroll I believe has genuine ability to make it in either wing or midfield role.
Cunners, Fog, Williams and Doch all have the ability to play midfield if body permits and the requirement is there.

This is why Cook has been pushing the party line that we are looking to continue to build from the draft. Our TPP is not in a position that we can simply recruit guns from other clubs, and on top of that, our list profile doesn't really entice a lot of young guns from other clubs either, as they don't look at the injury list when they access whether or not they'll be getting game time. They look at the entire list.

It might seem boring, and I'm not saying the if the opportunity to recruit a significant upgrade presents itself we won't take it. But they way we are structured at the moment and with the contracts we've committed to going forward. Finding a way to sign Fog, Cunner and Marchbank to 1-2 year small deals and hopefully finding a way to keep SOS are solid goals. Philp, if he can be enticed to move onto a rookie contract would definitely be worth keeping for another year or two, to give him a chance to get his body right.

Plowman - delist
Ed - retire
Honey - Delist
Dow - trade
Fisher - trade
S. Durdin - delist
SOS and Gov would love to keep both, but ball will be in their court as the money we can offer vs what they will be offered will be significantly different.
All I read from this is we're getting Holmes and winning the flag

All I read from this is we're getting Holmes and winning the flag
I'm sure we are one of 17 teams enquiring about Holmes.
But given Geelong's list of aging players, I would suggest getting Holmes out of Geelong would be harder than getting more than 7K and a packet of cigarettes from old John Elliott's ANZ bank account.

I see Sam Flanders name mentioned a bit. I think his last 6 weeks has ruined anyone's chance of sneaking him out of GC without someone noticing.

Elijah Hollands, though :eyes: if we're looking to find things that will probably be really good one day....

Favoritism aside, If our intention is to target Gresham, which is good plan, then it’s almost impossible to maintain Owies , Honey, Durdin C and Motlop on the list.
what?

also Gresham can GAGF, rather have that money spread across the likes of Gov, Jack and a draft pick or two

To many players competing for the same positions, whether it be the 193/4 cm utilities or small forwards, they have potential but are not all are durable and others not the full package.
The situation has to be addressed whilst Charlie & Harry are dominating,
it won’t last indefinitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plowman - delist
Ed - retire
Honey - Delist
Dow - trade
Fisher - trade
S. Durdin - delist

Yeah that sums it up pretty well. With TDK staying put at best we'll be hopeful of squeezing those last 2 into our salary cap and going to the draft. Trading for anyone other than a bargain basement price is probably fantasy at this point.

It was annoying as hell when Hawthorn were in that position and they kept adding guys like Birchall / Rioli / Breust / Isaac Smith / etc. via the draft. You can tell the exact same story with Geelong who have been annoyingly good at finding good players with those mid to late draft picks when they already had a strong list.

If we could find a Brian Lake type who is willing to play for peanuts for a crack at a premiership I'd take it though.

Didn’t Austin or Cook say last year that we needed to make the list more durable?

I took this as meaning we have too many injury prone players on the list, who continually fill our rehab room, making it hard to compete during a long season.

Considering Williams is on a long term deal, Martin is contracted and Pitto just signed a big one, the scope for making us more durable is getting smaller.

Marchbank was ok last week, was rusty, he will have the next 6 weeks to show his body can hold up to AFL footy and if it does, he will give himself a chance.

As long as we can take 3 kids in the top 40-50 and a player via DFA or UFA, I’m happy to keep players like him, but we can’t keep extending all the injury prone players.

This might be a bit harder than it sounds.
Fisher might get us 1. Dow probably less likely, unless he stars in the next 4-8 games.
Maybe we can trade a future pick forward.

I still think it’s a good idea to trade our F1 in to this year. I also work off the idea that two 2nds equals a first, two 3rds and 2nd and so on.

I think Fisher will get us a 3rd

Dow a 4th or 3rd, which could then be used with our two 4ths to move up.

I keep seeing comments about delisting our injury-prone players and yet, surprisingly, at the moment all of them are on the park. Or are people suggesting that we trade Cerra and Walsh due to them being injury prone and not on the park at the moment?

I keep seeing comments about delisting our injury-prone players and yet, surprisingly, at the moment all of them are on the park. Or are people suggesting that we trade Cerra and Walsh due to them being injury prone and not on the park at the moment?

Marchbank has played about 5 games in 4 years.

Equating him to Walsh or Cerra is embarrassing and disingenuous

Not picking on this in particular but I think we are underestimating Fogarty - he’s absolutely best 22 because of the high bar he sets with pressure. Our turnaround coincided with his tackling and smothers in the forward half which led directly to turnovers and goals. Durdin may be more talented than Fogarty but Fogarty is super important in our best 22 (esp when JSOS is out) because he sets a very high bar in how the team wants to play.

Fogarty was literally doing things that Carlton players normally don’t - applying pressure constantly and he does it even when we are ten goals up. He’s made it hard for the rest of the team not step up when he’s doing it every minute.

So I don’t care if he misses one or two shots for goal every match because he does everything else he needs to really well and no one else on our list is as good at that.

p.s. as per AFL.com.au he’s ranked elite at:
Tackles
Tackles inside 50
Score involvements
Score launches
Ground Ball gets

And above average at:
Pressure Acts
1%ers
Spoils
Goal Assists
Contested possessions
Contested possession rate
Inside 50s
Effective Disposals

He’s made himself integral to how we play and how we win games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s been super impressive since coming back, all of the above spot on…
Kicking a bit iffy and lack of goals are the only couple of knocks on his game…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back