Preview 2023 Rd 19 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday July 22 2:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

*EDIT - UPDATE:

IN: Lachie Cowan, Ed Curnow, Ollie Hollands, Josh Honey
OUT: Jordan Boyd (suspension), Adam Cerra (hamstring), Patrick Cripps (cork), Harry McKay (knee), Jack Martin (calf tightness.

Backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshOliver HollandsSam Docherty
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyJosh HoneyJesse Motlop
Forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettBlake Acres
Interchange:Matthew CottrellLachie CowanEd Curnow
Paddy Dow
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsZac FisherCaleb Marchbank
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Honey is due a good game for Carlton - to much talent not to fire up at some stage.
Given how it's been going for nearly 2 years now, I think he'll only fire up 3 years from now in a pub somewhere telling everyone how good he could have been if people stopped getting in his way.

Has had a lot of chances, and is getting another one. With any luck, those stoppage and transition efforts he pulled out in the last VFL game are a sign of things to come, but he's likely to be delisted at the end of the season.
System v talent.... If have really progressed/turned a genuine cnr as I think we have, system and pressure will prevail comfortably. A good test. Really looking forward to it. Not a lot changing from previous weeks me thinks result included.
System vs talent argument has us playing Lemmey, so that's not really the argument to be made here.

I can see Cottrell taking over some of Martin's targets in the forward line.
I wouldn’t mind Fisher in a free wheeling role like daicos has at Collingwood. Much like what he did in the vfl a month back. Was everywhere.
Put them in a race for the ball and you'll understand why Fisher wouldn't work in that role.

Really tired of reading about how this guy just needs the ball gifted to him in order to shine. Wants to play like he's 6'3 and 90 kgs, needs to face up to reality and continue to work on his endurance as well as the consistency of his mobility.

If he goes to trade week asking for inside midfield time, he's not going to enjoy the answers.

One may play tomorrow that's why I won't say who (if they ping a hammy in the first qtr I guess it will be obvious)

I believe everyone should be right to go for pies (that's the intention)

And in other injury news pencil in Harry to play the saints.
3 weeks instead of 6? Alright then

Voss/club have made it very clear at the start of the year, that this list is far from the finished product, so not sure how anyone can claim it was a top 4 list this year, let alone last year
Standard club speak. No list is ever finished. Said as much again in his radio interview recently. Also said this list isn't close to performing at the level it's capable of yet which is a far bigger hint as to what the club thinks the capacity of this group is.

One may play tomorrow that's why I won't say who (if they ping a hammy in the first qtr I guess it will be obvious)

Wow, how has this flown by everyone else?

Guys...Harry back in 2 more weeks against the Saints!

Serious on Harry? That would be quite the turn around.

Despite all the outs I still rate our backline. Our midfield needs to do the job of course and apply pressure for the backline to work but I think we will all be really happy with the job they will do. Expectations on Cowan area much higher than they were, think he's improved a lot and will be a ripper.

Midfield to me still looks pretty good. I don't think Hollands will play on the ball as listed but I think Docherty will. Have faith that Hollands will do the job and Docherty will do well playing in the guts. I've also got a lot of faith in Dow. Particularly against weak opposition, I feel that if given a full opportunity his output wont be too far from his VFL output.

Acres will play wing, we won't mess with that. Ed Curnow has to play on the ball. Cottrell will play wing and half forward. Just get the feeling that it's going to be a good day for Cottrell. Massive opportunity for Dow to prove he can play good footy at AFL level and that he belongs.

Big opportunity for Honey. He's got all the athletic tools, he's impressed in the past and will find it easier with our new game play. Career on the line so it's a big game for him. We need someone to step up and be cover for Jack Martin who has been super impressive.

Get the feeling Young will be in the team. Cover for many of the key position players. Not sure how well TDK is over his injury.

We have a lot of good players out, a lot of our better players so the expectation that we win by heaps isn't there. The expectation that we may have to earn this is. McKay, Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Boyd, Martin and Owies are all probably best 22 and Williams of course has missed the whole season so we have big numbers of quality our. Fortunately we are a team in form, playing a good brand of footy with quality players in good form in the seconds to come in to pick up the slack. Compared to them who are a bottom team who also have a lot of injuries and are probably being forced to just play blokes (yep, we've been there).

Think the backline is still high quality. The midfield is at about half strength with 3 of our top 4 onballers out. Good players to come in and pick up the slack helps but that's a big hit. Our forward line is probably at about 3/4 strength with McKay and Martin out. It was very good last week with who we had and it's performance will again come down to ball movement.

I think the team with the most McGovern's wins. This week is all about stepping up. Dow, Cowan, Hollands, Honey and Curnow come in to fill in. All are quality reserves players with good form, playing a weak team with a bucket load of injuries means the step up isn't huge. How well we go depends on how well they go. They step up, we win and if they really step up we win by a lot. I've got faith in their abilities, think that group has the quality to do it.

Big game for us and our depth. There are a few with a lot to prove and maybe that is a good thing.

Great info x!
Thank you 😊
The Harry news is awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be writing off Honey yet. Give him one more chance in the improved team. Same goes for Fisher. Both were struggling just like Motlop was but our gameplan made it very difficult for small forwards. But I certainly agree Honey on his last legs at the club and so he should be. Has been given plenty of opprtunity for not much result. It's a shame because he clearly has the talent from what I can see.

Lots were saying it and blaming the players which was stupid. The list is top 4.

And it took Voss being on the verge of sacking to make a change.

With Ross Lyon we are top 4 and contending, no doubt.
Just when I was gonna give you a like, ya had to put the last sentence. Or was that ironic?

Last edited:
That'd be good.
I'm nervous about it.
No guarantees in AFL.
I wish I could click my fingers and skip 24hrs into the future when the game's over and we've had a win.
Being a Carlton supporter we all know that a loss is possible - even if it is the most improbable thing in the world! Rationally I still think we win this, but am still nervous... just want to get through this weekend with 4 points.

Really really hoping Martin is precautionary, other than Harry, the rest seem like they are just sore and not injured.

Still need to back the team, if we are good enough we will win regardless.

Glad to see Cowan and Hollands back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back