VFL 2023 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 1 - 22 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

They are kids, particularly O’Keeffe who, as a December foal is remains 18 yo through the season. Has a long way to go, but an absolute pup in the elite game. Had very little ruck time behind Mirkov (and Pitt and TDK at times) slow burn, but will be genuine AFL quality in time.

Lemmey, I am not as certain about. Has the tools, but a little “flakey” at times. Could go either way. I remain convinced he will be better suited as a defender.

Our approach to our ruck stocks is weird, I've never seen Mirkov live or O'Keefe but you and many others all say the same thing. SO if either TDK or Pitt gets an injury, neither of our other two ruckman are in a position to step up, even if for just one game.

Our approach to our ruck stocks is weird, I've never seen Mirkov live or O'Keefe but you and many others all say the same thing. SO if either TDK or Pitt gets an injury, neither of our other two ruckman are in a position to step up, even if for just one game.
Yeah, it is a bit strange. The saving grace is Lewis Young who is a capable ruck. Problems arise when our next in line KPD in Durdin is returning to his perpetually injured Norf days.

Last edited:

what sort of player is Lemmey? does he have a future in Carlton's afl forward line?

happy to hear Cuningham and Marchbank are playing well, gee we have missed them
I'm not sure he has the intensity to be a good VFL player, let alone an AFL one.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

If you were putting Cottrell through the same lens as O'Brien he wouldn't even be on the list. Athletic trier who falls to pieces if we move the pace of off-the-ball movement up from 1970s standards.

If I were his manager I'd sit him down, tell him to stop trying to turn into a footballer and look at an athletics career. O'Brien's issues are far more fixable.

@ me in the R13 pre-game thread if you want to discuss more.
Cotters is so far ahead of LOB it is not even funny.

What were his injury issues @ Nth?

A pretty severe hammy this time around, and at an in opportune time.
As a youngster at North had a rash of soft tissue injuries probably missing more than he played as a KPP utility. Was showing enough to retain, but a couple in the same boat saw him delisted. A couple of seasons in SANFL saw him play consistent footy for an extended period suggesting he had “matured”. Not good seeing his woes recur. He is the perfect type to provide able back up for a year or three to allow us to draft and develop a youngster in the next couple of years.

I still maintain Lemmey’s mind set is better suited to defence. He is one of those who find more urgency/desperation when defending than trying to make the play.

Depending on how the picks fall, I would seriously consider drafting Nate Caddy who played for our seconds a couple of weeks ago. 192cm third tall forward, a slightly less athletic Charlie Curnow type, who could play genuine KPF with another centimetre or two. Know we need some run and X factor and hopefully we get multiple picks near the pointy end by trading our 2024 first and possibly if TDK chooses to go.

What is it about Binns game that has him not being selected, on stats alone I would have thought he would have had a run in the 1s, but must be something Voss doesn’t like?
He's a very skinny boy. They know he is good enough to play/debut, but I suspect might be protecting him.

He's a very skinny boy. They know he is good enough to play/debut, but I suspect might be protecting him.

I suspect that's the case after Ebert's interview before the Willi game a few weeks back.

I went along to the game today - seeing him live, Binnsy's work rate is phenomenal for someone his age. He is perpetual motion on his side of the ground, and has the instinct of knowing when to change gear for the overlap and when to hold back. Not overly blessed with speed, but seems to be able to maintain the same tempo for the entire game. Just a natural footballer who has the knack of racking up possessions.

All going well, in 2 or 3 years we should have a pretty good wing combo with himself and Ollie. Not sure where the Campo boys fit into the overall plan.

Either way, he'll more than likely make his debut during the 2nd half the season when the development coaches feel he's ready. I also reckon he's put on a little more muscle since pre season - not a lot, but they've probably got him on a meat and 3 veg diet.

I suspect that's the case after Ebert's interview before the Willi game a few weeks back.

I went along to the game today - seeing him live, Binnsy's work rate is phenomenal for someone his age. He is perpetual motion on his side of the ground, and has the instinct of knowing when to change gear for the overlap and when to hold back. Not overly blessed with speed, but seems to be able to maintain the same tempo for the entire game. Just a natural footballer who has the knack of racking up possessions.

All going well, in 2 or 3 years we should have a pretty good wing combo with himself and Ollie. Not sure where the Campo boys fit into the overall plan.

Either way, he'll more than likely make his debut during the 2nd half the season when the development coaches feel he's ready. I also reckon he's put on a little more muscle since pre season - not a lot, but they've probably got him on a meat and 3 veg diet.
Hollands is a inside out mid. Just give him time to stack the kilos slowly. Has all the traits. Play one of the brothers on one wing and binnsy on the other. Play the best of the two at half back.

Hollands is a inside out mid. Just give him time to stack the kilos slowly. Has all the traits. Play one of the brothers on one wing and binnsy on the other. Play the best of the two at half back.
I agree with this. He won contested ball at the championships last year. Although his kicking is neat enough, I reckon he's better with his hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They haven't proved fixable in the 6 seasons so far.
You could say that about 90% of the football department issues, the disharmony and leadership in the quest to build something greater than the sum of its parts has been horrific.

Also if he's anything like his uncle, he can be a tiny bit stubborn (note that I'm not understating here).

You could say that about 90% of the football department issues, the disharmony and leadership in the quest to build something greater than the sum of its parts has been horrific.

Also if he's anything like his uncle, he can be a tiny bit stubborn (note that I'm not understating here).
The club issues are all true but h's got a disposition not well suited to high pressure football.

The club issues are all true but h's got a disposition not well suited to high pressure football.
Gee I wonder if we can assign any club resources to assist him with developing a better mentality and gaining confidence in his abilities... do we pay people for that?

Gee I wonder if we can assign any club resources to assist him with developing a better mentality and gaining confidence in his abilities... do we pay people for that?
Granted, they could and it could help.

In his case though I think that's just who he is. Feels the pressure whenever anyone is close.

Mirkov could play AFL. We'd be sacrificing around the ground presence but at least he'll win the hitouts.

Ouch. Not sure you've ever watched many tall forwards at 19. Lemey is tracking well. These guys take until they're 22-23 before you really see their full potential.
Lemmey, in my opinion, does not attack the contest hard enough. It has nothing to do with his youth but his attitude and the club's player development

Lemmey, in my opinion, does not attack the contest hard enough. It has nothing to do with his youth but his attitude and the club's player development
I agree - I was at the game yesterday and came away thinking the same. He actually looked better once they threw him into the ruck, because he's then forced into the contests at stoppages.

O'Keefe, on the other hand, looks like he doesn't mind the rough and tumble at all - but probably doesn't have the skill level of Lemmey. It's early days for both of them, but I'd definitely like to see more mongrel from big Lem.

Mirkov could play AFL. We'd be sacrificing around the ground presence but at least he'll win the hitouts.

That would go against our current strategy of never, ever, playing to players strengths.

Only their weaknesses matter. If they have deficiencies, they can't play in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back